General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Optimum RPM for mad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:40 AM
My daily commute to work is approx. 24 miles 1-way. It is mostly flat, with about 2 steep hills that are roughly 1/3 mile long. And, the average posted speed limit is 45 MPH...Without lots of a/c use and strong crosswinds or headwinds, I have attained 39.2 mpg.
I have a nearly identical commute (a bit longer) and have similar results for my manual Fit. I regularly get 40.5mpg.

On the highway (~70mph) with a couple windsurfers on the roof, I barely get 31mpg (but its worth it)

Old 12-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Brand new BBP MT Sport @ 450 miles was 42.5 mpg at 6,000-8000 ft. altitude on Conoco regular. Revs always 2-4k.

Above was 50/50 city/hwy (65mph). Expect to see easy, frequent 45 mpg hwy out of this one. Maybe 50 if I concentrate and drive it right.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StormSilverGD3
ummm....say what? VTEC will either engage or not engage. It does not crossover sooner or later.
Yes, it clearly does. Please do a little more research prior to providing the rest of us with false information.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:32 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
According to environmentalists, 48mph is the average best overall speed in all cars produced since 1990 for best MPG.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:33 PM
If you drive an L15a engine fit (2007 USDM fit), let Vtec kick alittle because 3-stage VTEC save gass. I let my fit rev up to 4000rpm before changing gear, I get about 26-28. BTW 26-28 is all city driving, I sit in traffic for like 1 or 2 hours a day so you can see why I get 26-28.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
ok this will sound very different from what you all are saying about fuel economy. i have found that i get my worst gas mileage on the highway... constantly holding the revs. between 3K and 3.5K. I get my best gas mileage on back roads with very few stop lights and stop signs. last time on my way home from school, i gat 80 miles to just over an 8th of a tank! thats well over 50 MPG!!!!! (if my math is right... it might not be) i accomplished this by accelerating very fast (shifting 4k-4.5k) and then spending most of my driving at about 2500 RPM... also i dont slow down around corners... i maintain my speed as much as possible. and i get superior gas mileage. i think it is due to the constant cruising at low RPM and the quick accel. versus the highway where i am at a much higher RPM nd have to contend with traffic and slow accelerations when traffic starts moving again...

Old 12-03-2007, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think there is a "magic" rpm answer that will be clear cut. It's all about driving style and the amount of pressure you put on the gas pedal with your right foot. The Prius owners have come to know a technique called "pulse and glide" will help yield the best mpg from their cars.

Without any type of feedback to know how much gas you are using, you are guessing. Honda was really stupid not to include some sort of instantaneous mpg monitor in what they tout as their "high mpg economy car". Look at all the posts about FIT owners disappointed about the gas consumption of their cars.

Toyota offers their somewhat gimmicky LCD dash display fuel consumption meter in the Prius that will read instantaneous and average mpg. Say what you will about their system, the bottom line is that it shows you what is happening and in the end "trains" you on how to achieve the best mpg, if that is your goal.

I tried my best to garner the best mpg from my FIT, but w/o any type of constant feedback to know exactly how much fuel you are using and what mpg you are getting, you are guessing at best. My solution was to purchase this... ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool

It may not be perfect, but it has helped for me to get more miles from a tank of gas just by using the instantaneous mpg feature it has. In addition, I now have a water temp meter.

I highly recommend this great product if you are at all serious about attaining maximum mpg from your FIT.

Last edited by kkim; 12-03-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:13 PM
kkim said...
It's all about driving style and the amount of pressure you put on the gas pedal with your right foot.

Definitely the best way to maintain overall best mileage is your driving style, primarily keeping any vehicle operating in the part of the power band that provides maximum efficiency and being smooth. That style (watching power band, proper upshifts, smoothness, looking well ahead and anticipating traffic, braking so that when you resume speed you maintain as much previous energy as possible, etc., etc.) does require concentration until it becomes habit.

It does take concentration also to not be a moving roadblock while you're conserving fuel. When we used to drive the Mobil Economy Run (1950s) we'd have to practice all the concentration skills well in advance of the start since even back then you'd lose your edge just driving in normal traffic. Today it's much, much harder to drive efficiently, given the huge increase in traffic plus the pace that's ridiculously hectic.

FWIW, 3rd tank on the new Fit almost hit 50 (all hwy @ 65-70, no wind, 6000-7000 ft altitude).

Personally and FWIW, in my experience gages reduce mileage because you have to change your focus and they're so habit forming that you lose the edge and the zone. I've had several and found that to be the case, once I got to know the particular vehicle.

Again FWIW, the MPG skills pay off on the trace track as well. Not just in better mileage/fewer pits perhaps, better pad wear, etc., but also the smoother you are the faster you go, usually, and often the lower the parts bills.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:42 PM
the fit's v-tec isn't really made for producing more power, its mainly for saving gas. thats why the fit is a little slow.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by 1coolride
the fit's v-tec isn't really made for producing more power, its mainly for saving gas. thats why the fit is a little slow.
Fit V-tec give about 20hp that alot to me!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know if it would help any, but my car runs at around 1500-2000 rpm at speed between 20 - 80km/t on flat roads. And since I have a CVT the system will keep the eninge running at the most efficient RPM at all time.

I have also discovered that after about 30mins the RPM has a tendency to drop from 1800 to around 1500 when cruising at the same speed (80km/t) for a long time.

But then again, I have the smaller 1.4L engine with only 86Hp... (not VTEC).

Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by kkim
I tried my best to garner the best mpg from my FIT, but w/o any type of constant feedback to know exactly how much fuel you are using and what mpg you are getting, you are guessing at best. My solution was to purchase this... ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool
Hey there, I am VERY interested in purchasing that. Can you tell me how you have to install it first. Does it just connect to the computer port? And if so, where the heck is that in our cars anyway?

Old 12-05-2007, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by storm88000
Hey there, I am VERY interested in purchasing that. Can you tell me how you have to install it first. Does it just connect to the computer port? And if so, where the heck is that in our cars anyway?
I have mine stuck on the top of the steering column using some 3m dual lock. I need to move it as it blocks some info from the dash. Someone on Fit Freak is making an indash mounting bracket, but has not yet finished it for sale.

OBD2 connector on the FIT is under the dash by your right leg, if I'm remembering correctly. No need to even take anything off to access it.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Wow thats great. And it displays ALL those things listen on the website at any given time?

Old 12-05-2007, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, you might have to scroll through several menus to get to the info you want, but it does do what it advertises. I have my gauge display set up to monitor instantaneous mpg, water temp, rpm and speed.