General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New Guy from Okinawa Japan

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:06 AM
New Guy from Okinawa Japan

Hello everyone,

2kull here from Okinawa Japan I just ordered a Yellow 2012 RS Fit and waiting on delivery. They're a little different then the state side models will do some mods and update as I go.

Honda„ ƒNƒ‹ƒ}„ ƒtƒBƒbƒg„ ƒ^ƒCƒvE‰ΏŠi„ RS

Old 06-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Welcome to the Fit family and community! We all love the yellow Fit but we can't get it here in the US. Love Japan and hope to visit there someday. I wanted to stay true to my Fits birthplace so I have several Mugen modifications on my car. Post up pictures when you are able.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 AM
I will, also appreciate the welcome. If your ever in Okinawa, just give a shout always something to do here on the Island. Will also try and take some pics from the dealer they have some Hybrid RS's over there also.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member

Krunk13 showed this on this his post.

With right hand drive this might be a little harder:-)
But I am sure ordering a hybrid this wouldn't be your style of driving.
Like your posted site, shows more as a sports car than the compact economy car they sell here. I had problems ordering a white base, 3 months after order accepted a used white sport before new one was half way here.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome to FF. How long have you been down there? Was there for 14.5 years myself. I miss it at times, but when I get out on circuit here I forget about gymkhana down there.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:31 AM
I've been down here for about 12 years now retired here from the military. I haven't been to the track in a while, but it is still there. They used to drift down in Naha but I guess they put a stop to that. But they still race on 58 on Sundays. Lots of nice cars on the Island, thanks for the welcome.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Are you on ZY by chance? I left 沖縄 in Jan 2008. I still remember when the docks had just opened next to Kinser and every night was a motorsports festival, illegally of course. When the cops would come, it looked like the F&F movie before it even existed, with just 1 way out it was always action packed. Great memories.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to FF.net!

I have a question for you guys about the regions in Japan. Are there different car cultures for each town? It seems to be geologically diverse enough to spawn different ways of viewing driving. When I look at Mt. Fuji and the famous roads around there, I wonder if any of the towns are particularly car-crazy, or if the folks mostly come from Tokyo?

Which town is the most focused on cars and tuning per capita? Over here, I'd say something like L.A., but I'm not sure if that's just because of all the people and nice weather; not necessarily the densest with tuned cars. I'd say somewhere in the South, probably Florida, has everyone beat--but a lot of domestics. Any parallels over there?

Old 06-23-2012, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly, the scene in Okinawa is quite dead, with maybe a handful (literally) of actual tuning shops. Even here in mainland Japan, it's just not the same. Partly the manufacturer's fault, but in reality the customer's doing. If people aren't buying certain types of vehicles, those vehicles stop being produced. It's like going to Tokyo Auto-Salon and only seeing uninspirational vehicles, unless one is into looking pretty and metrosexual tendencies.

I would say central and western Japan is more a car-haven, only because many more tuning shops in that region. When I go driving around Fuji, do not really come across enthusiasts, well at least not "driving" like one. In Tokyo, there are a shitload of penile enlargers being driven around doing a whole lot of nothing. Granted there will always be those individuals that love driving, but I am seeing less and less vehicles modified to be beaten on.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
I guess it was generational, and with the economic downturn, it has shifted the first world away from car tuning. Law enforcement ramped up a lot too, which is the reason the scene died in my city a long time ago.

The second and third world countries that are growing massively in their automobile production and consumption seem to post more youtube videos doing crazy sh*t in cars.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:23 AM
Not ZY, but you hit the nail on the head though with it being dead from what I can see now. I haven't been out much since I started working out of the country and sold my GTR.

Once I start playing with the car, I will get out and see what is going on with the Americans and the locals and post up whats going on. Also will get out to the track and get some video to post.

Friend of mine that tuned my GTR shut down his shop S Specs due to the lack of customers, being mostly Americans because of the Yen rate is so shit right now.

The Cops set up road blocks like crazy now. Once there is an accident or someone gets killed they go all out to stop whatever is going on, you know how it is here since you were here yourself. I still love living here on the Island with my wife and son nice place to live.

Also here the cars are usually older, Americans don't buy a lot of new cars to modify.

Nice ride by the way might hit you up with some ideas once I get going with mine.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2kull
Also here the cars are usually older, Americans don't buy a lot of new cars to modify.
I was under the impression that Japan encouraged new car sales with a taxation, making small inexpensive kei cars more popular because they will be turned over frequently. Or are you talking about the modified cars? I think the overall trend I'm seeing over here, is people sticking to a car that they've modified and keeping it while they buy a DD, because after all, this hobby is a huge drain on money if you keep trading cars. Even if you don't!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Welcome.

Wow, looks like a few extra "special" models over there. What's that little red LCD screen there where the vent knob usually is?

Closer view on the "She's" model. :P

Old 07-06-2012, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shamoo
..... What's that little red LCD screen there where the vent knob usually is?
Automatic climate control. 25 = 25 degrees Celcius.

If you look closer, you can see the vent speed settings, vents used, A/C on/off, etc, etc.

Can't wait to get that steering wheel... soon, soon....

Old 07-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Wow, I want that.

Can we get that. Hehe. Steering wheel looks very similar except for the red stitching. Is it the same? May be cheaper to get an upholster-er to restitch it.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Look closely at the steering wheel... notice the ergonomic bumps. If only it was as easy as re-stitching.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 AM
If only we could have red gauge lighting in the US...

Old 10-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Hey, I have lived in Okinawa for almost 6 years and just bought a 2003 GD3 Fit today....I love it, just needs some love. I also own a '98 Civic Type R in Championship White.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Man I really wish we could get some of those options here, or even some of the EU options. I want the red gauges, blue kills my night vision!

Also! as an interesting side note, my 1970 Yamaha HT-1 motorcycle was purchased in Okinawa (not by me) and actually brought to the US in the belly of a B-52! The key is apparently still on the beach over there somewhere, let me know if you find it!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMDingo
Hey, I have lived in Okinawa for almost 6 years and just bought a 2003 GD3 Fit today....I love it, just needs some love. I also own a '98 Civic Type R in Championship White.
Congrads on your new to you Fit! Love the GD3 body style! Welcome to the family!

Quick Reply: New Guy from Okinawa Japan