General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: What did you think of this review?
Very good. Totally helped. Keep 'em coming.
100.00%
It was OK. Nothing earth shattering.
0%
Totally sucked. Useless
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

REVIEW: THULE 480R Rapid Traverse & RB47

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up REVIEW: THULE 480R Rapid Traverse & RB47

A couple of weeks after I bought my 2012 FIT Sport I went on the hunt for a roof rack. It is important to point what I was looking for so ya know why I chose this setup:

No Attachments: I needed a rack just to carry my longboard surfboard (9'1") or a bunch of boards when traveling with buddies. I did not need to carry bikes, canoes or anything else on it that need a special accessory. I was committed to carrying my road anfd MTB bikes on a hitch mounted carrier which I ended up getting (look HERE for that review). I wanted to maintain fuel economy as much as possible with no clunky attachments on a good rack.

Quality: There are a lot of really inexpensive racks out there that could have done teh job. However, after using some in teh past I really didn't want to deal with clunky attachment methods, a rack that was made for such a general application it looked like a monkey humping a greased football or something that would rust and deteriorate.

Quiet: I am not a big fan of a rack spoiler. If I could find a rack that would be quiet enough not to need a spoiler, I'd pay a little extra. Noise = Annoyance + Reduced MPG

Appearance: This is teh first new car I have ever owned. I really like the look of my FIT. If I could not take-away from that look by adding an ugly rack....something that would look factory, I was interested.

After a lot of research, I decided on the THULE 480R Rapid Traverse Aero foot pack, RB47 rails and 1465 Foot Kit. The rail is extruded aluminum (not going to rust out like the cheaper stuff) and has a slightly rounded profile. There is also an ARB47 rail that is super aerodynamic but also 'hella' expensive.
As it stands, this whole package direct from THULE was going to run $425 before tax and delivery.

I took my time and got the rails from Sierra Trading ($70) and the feet and fit kit off eBay ($200). All new in the original box.

I installed the rack over about an hour (two Guinness) Final results shown below (I apologize to those looking at this on a mobile device). Love the rack!
There is a small bit of noise but nothing really noticeable and nothing that can't be overcome with an extra '2-3' on the volume. Rack looks clean and sleek. Only issue I have is when it rains. It does create a high pitch whistle then. I believe that is because there is a channel on teh bottom side of teh rack that should have been closed up with the rubber strip it came with. I installed it all on top and had none left over the bottom. I’ll order that later from THULE. Very inexpensive.
Two thumbs up!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM
thx for the post, I am getting the same thing too, really helped a lot

what is the length of your ARB47?

Last edited by GE-DZ149; 05-09-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 PM
re: question by 'GE-DZ149'

the item names should have their length (in inches) designated by the last 2 digits within the name.

the thule aeroblade "ARB47" means they are 47" length bars. this is the same length recommended, i believe, by the Thule rack guides online.

thanks StinklePink for the helpful review.

one question for you: do you ever fear that someone may simply jack the gear while it's ontop of your car while.. say.. at the supermarket or a parking deck or something? are they difficult to remove, or when you go out for errands, do you leave the rack at home?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Rip-off fear?

Originally Posted by jonreytan
....one question for you: do you ever fear that someone may simply jack the gear while it's ontop of your car while.. say.. at the supermarket or a parking deck or something? are they difficult to remove, or when you go out for errands, do you leave the rack at home?
Honestly...I live in Suburbia here in Raleigh and when I venture into cities like Raleigh, Charlotte, etc....I'm usually parked not too far from where I am hanging and never for long periods. If I still lived in NYC or LA....I may be concerned and would by the locks.

They stay on my roof 24/7 - 365

Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM
thanks- one more Q

Originally Posted by StinklePink
Honestly...I live in Suburbia here in Raleigh and when I venture into cities like Raleigh, Charlotte, etc....I'm usually parked not too far from where I am hanging and never for long periods. If I still lived in NYC or LA....I may be concerned and would by the locks.

They stay on my roof 24/7 - 365
thanks for the reply StinklePink. I too live in suburbia but travel to big cities often (philly/nyc) and that was exactly on my mind.

currently you do not have locks, right?

may i ask what the locks will hold down.. the feet, the fit kit, the rails, and/or all three?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
THULE Lock

Originally Posted by jonreytan
may i ask what the locks will hold down.. the feet, the fit kit, the rails, and/or all three?
Seems to me that it will only lock the plastic door that covers the nut that loosens and tightens the rack and ultimately fixes it to the car. Nothing a determined crook get around with a small crow bar to break the door off with.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:55 PM
car wash

Good review. I have the same kit, although I picked up the kayak attachment. I was gonna start a new post but figured I'd ask it here first. I noticed in the paperwork it kinda shows no going through car washes. I mostly hand wash my car, but occasionally it'd be convenient to just run it through a car wash. Has anyone done it, could the rack be pulled off or damaged?