General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What exactly does the build date tell me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
What exactly does the build date tell me?

I ordered my SS MT Sport Fit on 6/17/06. As of today, 7/21/06, my dealer still does not have a build date for my car. He said that build dates were posted for cars ordered just 4 days before mine, so expects it to be posted soon.

My questions are:
1) What is the usual time between a build date and when the car arrives at the dealer
2) How far out are the build dates announced? Could my build date not be for another month or two?
3) I assume that a build date is the date the car is literally assembled at the plant in Japan. It that true, or am I an idiot? (or both)

Thanks for you input!

Joe

Old 07-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I heard as of the time you ordered yours, the plants stopped making Fits to start churning out civics to meet demand and Fit production went on pause. You might have got the one of the last orders in on a Fit. I also heard that Fits will be made in America for next year's model. So you might get the last of the well built japanese Fits.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
What makes you think that Fits made in the US wouldnt be well-assembled?

Old 07-21-2006, 05:15 PM
They would be well built in any country, I didn't say they would be poorly built in America. I said well built Japanese Fits

Old 07-21-2006, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
I ordered my car May 20th and finally got my production number on july 7th (I believe my dealership forgot to order until late june). Last week I finally got my build date for a VBP 5MT Fit sport which is 8/24. I live in the northeast and from what I have seen posted here and my keen sence of deduction. I probably wont get my fit till the end of sep to mid oct. Knowing my luck you will probably get your fit before me.

dagint

Old 07-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I didnt have to order mine.. my brother just knew the owner of the dealership and he told he I could have the choice between the ones he had.. and it was one of each color.. the white was the only one with beige and mt though

Old 07-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by jits14
I heard as of the time you ordered yours, the plants stopped making Fits to start churning out civics to meet demand and Fit production went on pause. You might have got the one of the last orders in on a Fit. I also heard that Fits will be made in America for next year's model. So you might get the last of the well built japanese Fits.
Not possible. The Civic is built in UK

Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jits14
So, where did you hear this "enlightened" information from?

Old 07-22-2006, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for everyone's reply. My dealer warned me that the wait could be quite long, but also said that the waiting list for civics quite long at the time too.

Basically, it sounds like I have a long wait ahead of me! I got my current Integra Special Edition in October of 1994, a 1995 model, and it now has nearly 179,000 miles on it. I guess a few more months won't matter. Since I plan on keeping the Fit for a while, I was willing to wait to get the color and manual transmission I wanted.

Joe

Old 07-22-2006, 03:51 PM
The majority of Civics are built in the US in Ohio. Fits in Japan, S2000 japan, Ridgline Canada, Odyssey&Pilot US, CR-V us/uk/japan, Accord US/Japan, all hybrids Japan. The build date usually shows up about a week after the order has been recieved by honda. This date is a range usually about 5 days. We then recieve an assign date, then a ship date, and after that we get the delivery date. If you order a car that is built here in the states usually they get here in about 2 and a half months. Anything coming from Japan or UK you're looking at 90 days if everything goes smoothly. I hope this helps, and that sucks if somone forgot to put your order in.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by fluffystuff
Not possible. The Civic is built in UK
Only the EURO Civic (5 door) is built in UK.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
I finally received the build date for my Fit!

On 6/17/06, I ordered a Storm Silver Metallic Sport model with Manual Transmission.

The production date is 9/8/06, and I was told I can expect it to arrive at the dealership around the 2nd week of October. If this ends up being the case, I will have waited nearly 4 months for my Fit. When I originally ordered the car, I was told the wait could be as long as 60 days. If only that was true! Hopefully my 1995 Integra will last a couple of more months. I have 179,600 miles on it now.

When I spoke to my dealer, he said they get one manual transmission Fit a month, and that he had 5 other orders for manuals after mine.

What have other people’s wait been like for manual or automatic models? Is there a wait for automatic transmissions?

Joe

Old 08-18-2006, 02:58 PM
I believe 'build date' means when the factory actually finishes putting your car together. I'm not sure the total time to build, but it could be in the 20-30 hour range.

My dealer finally gave me an ETA: Build date of Sept 19, 2006, and about six weeks to deliver after that.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Fray,

Did you order a base or Sport? Manual or Auto Transmission?

Old 08-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Sport MT (white)

I will refuse to take it if they try to give me an auto. Me no likey automatic.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:23 PM
When I was looking for a Fit, two dealers said that it took six weeks after a build date to get delivered here. Then one salesman told me that the 6 wks was an estimate and their average wait time was 8 weeks. He didnt try to sell me anything else, so I am kind of inclined to believe him. I then was able to pick one up a couple days later at another dealership after some rig-a-ma-role (sounded like a good word to use there...and very appropriate). I wanted the m/t, but my wife is not real great at standard (read rides clutch and makes me crazy). I kind of lucked out.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
i ordered mine on 6/29 so I guess I am shooting for november. . .

Old 08-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Well, so far I'm going to plan on the end of October, or a week or two into November.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:16 AM
I've been told by my dealer that I should have an August 28th build date, and he's telling me that we should have the car by Oct 15th. Sure hope it comes in sooner - in the time we've been waiting, I've had to replace an alternator, water pump and 2 tires on my fiance's car, don't want to replace anything else.

--JOsh

Old 08-19-2006, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Josh,

I had to replace the starter on my car recently, so I know that having to replace things on a car you are getting rid of soon is so frustrating!

Joe

Quick Reply: What exactly does the build date tell me?