General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paddle shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Paddle shifters?

Do people like the paddle shifters in the sport? I currently drive a manual, but would like to go to automatic (though I don't mind manual at all). Having the paddle shifter functionality seems like a nice hybrid of both, but I get the feeling that I'd just leave it in automatic most of the time.

Do people like the paddle shifters, or just ignore them? I realize this is largely subjective, but I'm just curious as to what people think.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
It's nice to have.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:35 PM
I like them, but I'm easy to please. Pragmatically, they are generally pointless.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 PM
I love em
this coming from a Mustang guy with my last being a 2011 5.0 6MT

The AT is well matched on the Fit and I like to run the canyons in S mode using the paddles.I have mastered this little AT and can keep the engine in the powerband with ease.

oh yeah I have a 2012 BRM sport

Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
I use mine when driving in the hills and mountains--they are great for that. I have not used them in town or on flat highways.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Nice to have but ignore them most of the time. Not as practical as I thought they would be. But hey, it's an econobox with paddle shifters...

Old 04-01-2012, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member
We do not have them on our Canadian Fits. I just drop my AT into 3rd when want a bit more go. Kinda fun when it is wound up.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
They work well if your climbing a good hill but other than that I haven't used them too often. It is an extra bonus of driving the automatic that you have that option to use them or not.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:52 PM
i like to use them on the on ramps for freeways. and here in los angeles with traffic its perfect i could just use the drive mode and not have to reach over all the time to change gears. i love driving standard. but when i bought my car i thought to my self, hey i can get a little bit of both, i just had to try it out. not as fun as a real standard car but still fun to drive!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Put your foot down and it'll downshift quicker than you can think about it. For either power or economy if you think you can outperform the auto's computer, then the paddles are the way to go. But then you should probably have gotten a manual. I bought the base, paddles weren't a selling point for me...

Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
i LOVE it there the shit in canyons

Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Good to have when slowing down on ice.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
According to the manual, you can start up in 2nd gear in snow .. or for fuel economy. But the computer has very definite ideas about what is an acceptable gear and what isn't, I'm afraid. You cannot get into 5th before 40mpg. I get why they did it. Just, for ME only, I would like slightly more flexibility.

Haven't been able to drive fast yet. So can't speak to that use.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
I use mine all the time. Not only for spirited driving, but also in my daily stop & go traffic commute. I find that if the traffic is going from 40 to 5 mph to 30 mph to 2 mph, etc. every 10 seconds or so, I can slow down without continuously riding the brakes.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
It's nice in a parking garage. Just leave in first and not have to brake constantly.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Click....one....two....shift. awww man I got bored just thinking about it.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Personally, I think it's a waste and Honda could have chopped these off the list for some savings. It's a 117hp car, I don't need a "flappy paddle gearbox". That being said, it's not even a true system like the DSG, DCT, etc.

So far in the 1500 miles I've owned the car, I used it twice. Once on the test drive for 5 seconds and one on the way home in the "S" mode for another 5 seconds. Pretty peppy for a little car, but...117hp and negligible torque...makes a lot of sound, but goes nowhere.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM
The only time I use mine is when I roll a stop sign or yield sign. Hit that little paddle and drop it into 2nd and I'm gone! **don't try this at home. I'm what you call, an idiot.**

Old 04-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Lightbulb Paddle Shifting - Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum.. have had my Fit Sport for a few months now.

I am very curious to know how many girls use the paddle shifters?
And, how does one easily learn how to use them (paddle shifters, not girls) ;-)

I ask because my sales lady told me that paddle shifters were just a guy thing.
Now that I've had my Fit for a few months, I'm interested in trying out the paddle shift to see what it's like. If you got em, try em, right?

I unfortunately do not know how to drive stick.. but I do understand shifting in terms of scooters and dirt bikes.. as I've driven both.

So, my other question is if its hard to teach myself how to use them?
If I don't know what I'm doing, could I mess my Fit up? (Thinking of the sounds and damage of someone learning to drive stick)

I really want to try paddle shifting, especially since I don't like being told it's something "only guys do"! Surely there's other chicks that like to use theirs right?

Anyway, look forward to your responses.. realize I'm probably opening myself up for some "garage" humor by asking!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Fitz_and_DizzySpells
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum.. have had my Fit Sport for a few months now.

I am very curious to know how many girls use the paddle shifters?
And, how does one easily learn how to use them (paddle shifters, not girls) ;-)

I ask because my sales lady told me that paddle shifters were just a guy thing.
Now that I've had my Fit for a few months, I'm interested in trying out the paddle shift to see what it's like. If you got em, try em, right?

I unfortunately do not know how to drive stick.. but I do understand shifting in terms of scooters and dirt bikes.. as I've driven both.

So, my other question is if its hard to teach myself how to use them?
If I don't know what I'm doing, could I mess my Fit up? (Thinking of the sounds and damage of someone learning to drive stick)

I really want to try paddle shifting, especially since I don't like being told it's something "only guys do"! Surely there's other chicks that like to use theirs right?

Anyway, look forward to your responses.. realize I'm probably opening myself up for some "garage" humor by asking!
If you understand shifting, they're pretty easy to use/learn. Shift the transmission selector to S and then pull on one of the levers. Right is up, left is down. You can't do something like over rev the engine with a bad shift or burn out the clutch or lug the engine. The computer won't allow such things. You can hit the rev limiter which feels and sounds bad, but doesn't harm the engine.

Quick Reply: Paddle shifters?