General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is this "Lifetime Powertrain Program" worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Is this "Lifetime Powertrain Program" worth it?

One of the selling point for me buying my used 2010 Fit from this particular dealer was their highly advertised free "Lifetime Powertrain Program". After reading the fine print I'm not sure now it was such a good deal. I'd like to get other owner's opinions.

The coverage looks pretty comprehensive, covering major components in the drive axle system, transmission, and engine. There is a $100 deductible.

Now the concerns: In order to maintain eligibility, I must have THEIR facility change my oil, and rotate my tires every 5000 miles. For me, this is inconvenient, expensive, and maintenance I want to do myself. In addition, I just received my official Honda Certified Used Car Warranty policy, and essentially the same drivetrain components are covered until 6/7/2017, or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. I currently have 28,000 miles and drive about 15,000 miles per year. So, I'm covered for about the next 5 years under the factory warranty

Big decision time comes for me in about 2000 miles, when I will have 5000 miles on the vehicle since purchase. If I don't take it to the dealer for the oil change & tire rotation, the dealer's special "Lifetime Powertrain Program" will become void.

I'm leaning towards just letting the dealer program lapse. I'll still have the Honda factory warranty in place for the next five years, because I will maintain the vehicle per Honda requirements, (and keep all records & receipts).

Essentially, the only thing I would be getting out of the dealer, if I kept up with their program, is drivetrain coverage five years from now. Although I really love the Fit, who knows if I'll even have the same car then? What do you think?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:36 PM
First, what's the cost differential between using the dealer vs what you'd prefer? The dealer is going to be more expensive and requires going about twice as often as Honda "requires". How does that compare with the cost of a "new" engine (say $2000-3000 installed and thats probably a high estimate)? How likely do you think it is that the engine is to go in that period, remembering that hondas tend toward pretty good reliability? How easily can you absorb that type of expense?

Personally, I'd ignore the dealer, and just rely on the honda warranty plus honda reliability. The dealer is offering to cover stuff that when maintained correctly almost never fails coupled with high standards to meet to be covered.