General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New FIT owner, hate the seats, looking for advise....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Lightbulb New FIT owner, hate the seats, looking for advise....

Hi all. Just bought a 2009 Fit Sport MT with 14,000 mi. this past weekend, and I'm already having remorse. The seats didn't bother me on the test drive, but over the past few days I've noticed how absolutely horrible and garbage they are. My $50 wal-mart office chair is 10x more ergonomic and comfortable. I love everything else about the car and thought I'd be able to deal with the crappy seats, but I'm very close to trading the car in just days after I bought it. I just get angry every time I drive it because of how uncomfortable I am. I feel like an idiot for looking past the seriousness of this issue when purchashing the car. Who cares about cargo space, or MPG if you can't even drive relaxed and calm.

I've searched and read pretty much every thread here with "seat" in the title. I have already done the washer spacers. It helped a little, but not near enough. I'm not super tall, about 6' 1" but have pretty long legs. I know people taller than me that can fit in a Miata, but I can't because my legs hit the steering wheel.

My main problem with the fit seats is the seat bottom is way too short and only about half of my upper thigh makes contact with the seat. If I don't forcefully hold my legs up strait, they just spread open like I'm giving child birth when I'm relaxed. This drives me insane. Coming from a 1986 BMW with stock Recaros, and a 1999 M3 with fully adjustable fully bolstered seats, I'm at my breaking point over the FIT seats.

I'm contemplating some sort of cushion I could buy/make with side bolsters that can hold my legs up strait. Either that or fabricate some sort of extension off the front of the seat above the slide adjustment bar. There is no way I can keep the car if I don't find some way to make it better, which sucks, becuase it's perfect for me in every other way.

I have a spare sparco EVO, but I REALLY don't want to stray from the OEM airbags for saftey and insurance reasons. So an aftermarket seat is pretty much not an option.

Does anyone have any ideas, or know a good seat cushion with side supports that would at least help? Any ideas are welcome. If I don't figure something out the FIT is going bye bye, and I'm probably losing a little stack of money unless I can get a really good deal on trade-in somewhere.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:00 AM
I agree with you and I'm not a big guy.

There's Clazzio seat covers which apparently have some extra cushioning but probably not enough to make the stock seats all that better. Hopefully someone with a set of Clazzios can chime in.

I like the new Civic Si seats, and there's probably a way to get that fitted and retain the airbags, can someone chime in on this? Problem also is finding the Si seats for sale used... I can imagine that those seats new would cost a small fortune.

Let us know what you come up with, I'm interested to see other options as well.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Potenza
If I don't forcefully hold my legs up strait, they just spread open like I'm giving child birth when I'm relaxed.
Yeah, coming from a high end German car to an economy Japanese car can be a bitch (no matter the spread in model years).

Work with what you've got. Try moving the seat farther back, extending the steering column/and or adjusting the seat back.

Sounds like you're sitting too close to the pedals.

Otherwise take it back to the dealer you bought from and tell'm you made a mistake and need to trade for something that fits. They'll have no trouble selling a Fit and they probably have a Buick or BMW they can't unload.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM
here's what I don't get... people buy and then complain later about how the fit's ride, comfort, what not and then... compare it to cars costing tens and thousands more over. econobox vs luxury/sport en-tuned? where's the math and logic to that?

there's no time limit on feeling yourself in on a car and test drives... car buyers, especially on a budget, should use this privilege to avoid some regrets.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I could have spent a couple thousand more on a Mazda3, which is still in my book an economy car, or even a Civic LX and the seats are infinitely more comfortable. So I wouldn't necessarily compare it to $50,000 BMW seats.

I have no other complaints about the car, just the seats. I've tried every position, nothing is comfortable. If the bottom of the seat would just tilt back, the problem would be solved. I think I'll either have to engineer a seat extension on the bottom, get some custom work done, or trade it in.

I knew I didn't like the seats when I test drove it, and thought I could live with it for everything else the car has to offer. I'm not sure that I really CAN live with it. Nobody's fault but my own really for compromising. The seats really are a joke though; worse than plastic lawn furniture.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 AM
The seats really are a joke though; worse than plastic lawn furniture.
I'm beginning to like you already

Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Interesting comment on the BMW seats. I actually find the seats in the fit more comfortable on a long trip than in my m5 (and the M3 that preceded it). Sorry you are having the problem. It really is a great little car. Best of luck.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
I have an SI seat, for sale, used..

Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Pick up Clazzio's from Bean Garage and call it a day.

They will definitely make the seats more comfortable.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I believe what Potenza is looking for is more seat area for his ass but those Clazzios do make the seats supple... just make sure to get those sun shades up on hot sunny days

Old 03-06-2012, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
those Clazzios do make the seats supple... just make sure to get those sun shades up on hot sunny days
I have a covered parking garage at work and a garage at home. I do need to watch out when I hit the links or the beach. The tints and a sun shade will definitely help out. The seat area was fine for me, the Clazzio's just made them more comfortable and they spruced up the interior. Not to mention they're easier to clean. Holy cow every little piece of lint sticks to the seats.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
op- one of the main reasons why i only drive my GE on the weekends for errands is the seats. i can't stand them for more than 20-30min drive. the pedals are too close too.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
Pick up Clazzio's from Bean Garage and call it a day.

They will definitely make the seats more comfortable.

hey thats a really good professional looking install. so... how bad is the plastic-y smell of the vinyl? im very sensitive to smell and wanted to know because i hate the smell of vinyl.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
op- one of the main reasons why i only drive my GE on the weekends for errands is the seats. i can't stand them for more than 20-30min drive. the pedals are too close too.
Here's my weekend car. It's seat is more comfortable

Name:  IMG_0286.jpg
Views: 2563
Size:  122.4 KB

I haven't really found a good solution other than making my own seat cushion or fabricating a BMW style leg extension off the front of the seat. Maybe even pay to have the bottom seat re-apolstered with added support, although that will probably be more than I'd like to spend, and more then I'd lose if I just traded the car in.

I think I'll end up keeping the car for now, at least until I get the title paperwork. I'll re-evaluate at that point and see if there is anything worth trading for.

Leather'ish seat covers I'd like to avoid. I prefer cloth, and I think the added padding on the back is just going to push me further up on the seat which is my main problem; lack of horizontal leg support. I guess it's a posibilty though.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
hey thats a really good professional looking install. so... how bad is the plastic-y smell of the vinyl? im very sensitive to smell and wanted to know because i hate the smell of vinyl.
Initially there's your typical off-gassing smell (I'm guessing similar to a new car smell). I didn't find it to overwhelming. I guess folks who are more sensitive might. They've been on for a few weeks now and I don't smell anything now.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM

My main problem with the fit seats is the seat bottom is way too short and only about half of my upper thigh makes contact with the seat. If I don't forcefully hold my legs up strait, they just spread open like I'm giving child birth when I'm relaxed. This drives me insane. Coming from a 1986 BMW with stock Recaros, and a 1999 M3 with fully adjustable fully bolstered seats, I'm at my breaking point over the FIT seats.
Remove the front bolt on the seat rails. Lift the front of the rail and place 4ea 3/8" washers under it and reinstall the bolt. You'll be amazed at the difference it will make.

From what you're coming from... well it is a Honda Fit. Clazzio's are a great choice.

K_C_

Old 03-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Remove the front bolt on the seat rails. Lift the front of the rail and place 4ea 3/8" washers under it and reinstall the bolt. You'll be amazed at the difference it will make.
Yea I did that on day 1. Made a little difference, but not near enough.

I think I'm just going to have to make a custom seat cushion I can strap to the top of the seat.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Well I called progressive to ask about injury coverage in an aftermarket or aftermarket and non-airbag seat. She and her managers were all stumped and said it was a very good question, so I'll have to talk to a claims adjuster tomorrow and see if putting the Sparco in my car would affect my insurance coverage.

Even though I don't want to go that route, that may be the most strait forward and satisfying solution. I already have a nice sparco EVO sitting in my living room, just need some FIT specific mounting rails.

I'll share the answer I get tomorrow for everyone's knowledge and reference. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:22 AM

or you can try some orthopedic seat cushion

Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 AM
I already have a nice sparco EVO sitting in my living room, just need some FIT specific mounting rails.

I'll share the answer I get tomorrow for everyone's knowledge and reference. Thanks for the input.
I vote this tho

Quick Reply: New FIT owner, hate the seats, looking for advise....