General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paranoid or plain stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Paranoid or plain stupid?

Hi,

Just got a Honda Fit Sports yesterday. First new car and wanted to know if I should be getting these items to protect my car.

1. Wheel locks - Are people going to steal stock rims? They are alloy.

2. Gas cap lock - With gas prices the way they are, will someone target the Fit for gas? (one of the smallest tanks)

3. Cargo cover - That I am getting for sure.

4. Antenna - It seems that all you have to do is unscrew that sucker and that is it. Any way to protect it or is it something nobody is going to steal.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:38 PM
people steals the antenna a lot.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
if you are SUPER concerned about the antenna, RED loc-tite

Old 07-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Wheel locks:
If they want it, they will get it.
Gas Cap Lock:
Stealing gas off my car is not my major concern, but dumping something else in my gas tank is the mean reason I am looking into getting a Gas Cap Lock.

Last edited by claymore; 07-20-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:21 PM
GSP
Originally Posted by fitkent
3. Cargo cover - That I am getting for sure.
I thought the same thing, but once I tinted the windows, I have no need for the cargo cover.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:27 PM
You can worry about all sorts of stuff with a car, but just accept the fact that you might have something stolen or smashed...

That is why you have insurance for the big stuff.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Titans
Wheel locks:
If they want it, they will get it.

Gas Cap Lock:
Stealing gas off my car is not my major concern, but dumping something else in my gas tank is the mean reason I am looking into getting a Gas Cap Lock.
not sure, but dont most cars have a wire mesh(kind of like a strainer or something) that prevents someone from sticking a hose down in to your tank to suck gas out?

still a good idea to get the locking cap if you are concerned about vandalism though.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:42 PM
I got a locking gas cap. If your gas cap is attached to your keys, you are less likely to drive off from the filling station without putting your gas cap back on.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
I would vote:

Wheel locks - yes
Gas cap - yes
Cargo cover - maybe
Antenna - do the Loctite, and if you are REALLY worried, and dependent on the radio, buy a second one to keep in the car as a back-up

Old 07-20-2006, 09:06 AM
I got wheel locks when I bought the car. I didn't realize they threw them in. A cargo cover and all-weather floormats were a must for me. I had bought cloth mats right after I got my Fit. They only lasted a month before they wore down.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
fortunatley mine came w/ wheel locks. i was thinking of getting osme, then when i looked at the wheel i noticed one lug nut on each wheel was different.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:34 AM
1. Wheel locks - Gottem... Not riding stocks though.

2. Gas cap lock - No real concern or need.

3. Cargo cover - Got it. Just cause it looks pimp.

4. Antenna - Spoon Short Antenna... kinda scared about losing it. If you loctite it... someone may get pissed and just break the son of a gun. but that's an idea to think about for sure.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Does the cylinder (of the locking gas cap) keep popping out after you
unlock it or once you pop it in, it stays in??? I don't have one yet,
but sort of surprising that Handa Accessories has an instruction page
on popping in the cylinder with the key in ....

http://www.handaaccessories.com/elem...kinggascap.pdf

Old 07-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Mine stays in-- nothing I try can get it out, so I guess that's a good thing.

On another note, it's somewhat annoying to have to rotate the whole cap-and-key to remove it, so I've taken to keeping the cap key separate in the car, instead of having to rotate my whole driving set of keys.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
What if you fill in the screw hole with some epoxy or JB weld on the antenna. If you ever decide to take it off to replace it or something, u can just simply drill out the glue.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by TomiGunz
What if you fill in the screw hole with some epoxy or JB weld on the antenna. If you ever decide to take it off to replace it or something, u can just simply drill out the glue.
loctite can accomplish the same thing and comes in different strengths to fit your need. plus if you want it removed later, you can just use solvent. no drilling needed.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
As a deterrent, I may find a smooth plate that fits the diameter of the wheel lock, then purchase clear heat shrink that will wrap over the nut and some hanging out. Heat it up and it'll all wrap nicely around the nut and the smooth plate. This enlarges the diameter so they cant easily apply a socket to it, but then again, if they push hard enough, it may act like a forming around the tool and act like a grip for it.. Perhaps some silicon grease over the rubber to keep it slippery, and a grenade booby-trap.

Ah, disregard it all.. not so clever after all...

Old 07-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Depends on where you live. I wouldn't worry about any of it where I live. But if you live in a high theft area, it couldn't hurt to protect your property.

"Just because I rock, it doesn't mean I'm made of stone."

Old 07-21-2006, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
I had the locking gas cap on for about a month, before I was just too tired of messing with it, and re-installed my OEM cap.

The Virginia laws for window tinting don't allow me to go dark enough for enough privacy. I like the cargo cover, because it allows me to keep recently purchased stuff out of the gaze of wandering eyes, as I go from store to store.

I've never had wheel locks, but have contemplated getting them for my Fit. Doing so would require me to resign myself to the idea that my neighborhood/general area isn't as nice as a place as it used to be... and I don't think I'm there, yet.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:44 PM
sam
Super Moderator
I use to remove locking gas caps with a screwdriver and hammer. You had to ask me nicely to get me to do it too. Nobody came back to complain about stuff in the tank but it always worried me. (usually was a wife or daughter)

Gas station out in the middle of nowhere. (Not a good plan to work at one of those).

So... if you lock things, leave a key in the car. Remember it is just a deterent, not a solution to a determined person.

I hope you have no problems at all!

Last edited by sam; 07-21-2006 at 11:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Paranoid or plain stupid?