General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Paranoid or plain stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:21 PM
If you live in a city or a high traffic area, I would be careful. There are people out there who like to mess around with brand new cars.

My antenna was stolen within 24 hours of getting the car. The dealer replaced it for me free of charge, but now I don't leave the antenna on my Fit unless I need it.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitkent
Hi,

Just got a Honda Fit Sports yesterday. First new car and wanted to know if I should be getting these items to protect my car.

1. Wheel locks - Are people going to steal stock rims? They are alloy.

2. Gas cap lock - With gas prices the way they are, will someone target the Fit for gas? (one of the smallest tanks)

3. Cargo cover - That I am getting for sure.

4. Antenna - It seems that all you have to do is unscrew that sucker and that is it. Any way to protect it or is it something nobody is going to steal.

Thanks in advance.
1. No. No one is going to steal your stock rims unless you live in a ghetto neighborhood or you park it in a ghetto area where automobile vandalism is high.

2. No one will syphon gas from your car, especially in San Jose. You're just getting paranoid.

3. Good choice. It protects whatever you throw in the back from people looking in and the sun.

4. No way to protect it. It's inevitable that it'll be stolen if someone really wanted one and yours was the first they see. The only way you MIGHT be able to protect it is if you put super glue on the screw part and screw it in. But I've seen cases where someone just breaks off the antenna part and leaves the screw.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
1. Wheel Locks - I totally recommend getting wheel locks. They are relatively cheap, and they dramatically reduce the risk that your wheels will be stolen. Trust me, you dont want to find your car sitting on milk crates or worse teeteering on the brake rotors and drums cuz your rims got jacked. Regardless of where you live, I recommend it.

2. Locking Gas Cap - I would only install this to prevent others from pouring sugar or other liquids into my fuel tank. I am really irritated that the Fit is the only Honda without a stock locking gas latch.

No comment on 3 or 4.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
isn't the antenna an electrical connection

as in it needs metal to metal contact for good reception? Applying lock-tite to the threads will screw with a good connection. Sure, they will not be able to steal it easily, but if it does not give you good reception, then what good is it?

Old 09-03-2006, 12:03 AM
to add on to the idea of people worrying about there fits being vandalized by someone putting something in there gas tanks, if someone obviously wanted to do something bad to your vehicle and they saw a locking gas cap, theyd probably just jam your key cylinder so you wouldnt have access to your gas at all!

Old 09-03-2006, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
wheel locks are simply a deterrant. if they want your wheels, they will take them. you can beat a socket on the wheel lock, and unscrew it.
all you need is 4 cheap sockets.

I thought the hassle of the locking gascap would annoy me, I dont think the theifs today know how to siphon. drive offs (not paying for gas when filling up) or using a stolen credit card, have you ever tasted gas?

after tinting my windows, no need for the espensive cargo cover. I keep a towel in the back to cover items, mostly to keep them cool from the sun.

I dont use drive thru car wash, but you need to remove the antena if you do. having a satellite antena is a givaway that you have a sat reciever inside.

these are all concerns, if you have to leave your car in a bad area.
I moved out of town 20 years ago, because of theifs.
but hey, I had my black civic stolen from my driveway anyway.
if they want it, they take it.
where you live, where you park, is of concern.

how this list, from all over the world, different states, would be able to tell you what you need is beyond me? an hour away is a high crim area, the valley, I would not want to leave my car there, and I dont go there.
luckily, I have a job in a nice side of town, we have security with cameras in the parking lot, and I live in the country without serious crime.
(we still get the teenage vandalism, the locals have nothing to do, and parents who dont care what they do).

Old 09-03-2006, 12:30 PM
$199 for wheel locks is like rape, go to your nearest autozone parts tore and buy them for $20 bucks...

GWD

Old 09-03-2006, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
I have learned (the hard way) that many car ignition locks don't hold up well with a bunch of keys hanging off them. VWs are especially bad for this but now I have nothing on my key rings except the ignition and gas cap key.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 AM
In Fresno, CA, once the number one car theft capital of the whole USA (and still in the top ten), ultimate security measures are required for ANY VEHICLE! There are too many friggin lowlifes, gangstas, wannabe gangstas, and white trash punks in this pathetic sewer of a city--plus whenever you have a population that is, for the most part, uneducated and unmotivated, you have the criminal element. Luckily I had the wheel locks on the rims and got a free cargo cover when I bought my Fit. I also installed some special anti-theft screws for the license plate (since my license plate was stolen before!). But the lack of a locking gas cap/gas door was a really shocker, since my last two cars (both Toyotas) both had locking gas doors. I went to the local Kragen and got a locking gas cap that works. The antenna, I won't sweat it too much if it gets stolen. I know anyone can break into my Fit if they want to, but at least these measures will hopefully slow them down. I might consider a Lo-Jack later.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Isn't it strange how Honda think that different things are important to buyers of the same car in different countries. The locking wheel nuts, locking gas cap and cargo cover are all standard for the UK Jazz. but then we don't get cruise!

Old 09-15-2006, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
1: Locks keep honest people out. If I want it, I'm going to get it & I don't care waht pretty little *lock* you put in front of me. Trust me.

2: The cargo cover has intrigued me, more so I'm looking for a cheaper cargo netting/tray thing. Right now I put it in half tall mode and put my groceries in paper bags. Plastic has a nasty habit of rolling around in regualar or cargo mode.

3: wheel locks (see comment 1
I live in a relativley low crime area outside of Chicago. Your in San Jose...I've heard good and bad. So, to your discresion, do you see the potential for your wheel getting ganked? If so, get the locks, if not, thats why we get full coverage insurance.

(BTW, PM me. My best friend just moved to San Jose and is torn between the Fit & the new Civic. PM me on a good dealer and what you paid.) Thanks!!!!