General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2007 Manual Fit Shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 AM
2007 Manual Fit Shutting off

Hi guys,

About 2 years ago my car began to shut itself off at the same stop sign leaving work. I also have been hearing a gurgling sound when I rev the engine.

Has anybody else been experiencing this issue. I read other post about a valve adjustment, could my car be needing the same thing? I am at about 127,000 miles on my baby but I love her so much that I want her to feel all better.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Janet

Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
have you done the valve adjustment? If your hearing a gurgling sound I would think has has something to do with fuel.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
@ 127K it needs a valve adjustment (and maybe lots more).

What service have you had done? Check your owner's manual for recommended service.

The dealer will oversell service so I don't blame you for not asking them, but if you have a mechanic you trust I'd schedule an inspection.

It shouldn't stall (even at the same stop sign) everyday.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys.

I haven't done the valve adjustment. After reading some other posts, my boyfriend will be doing that on his next days off.

I hope it's nothing major, I love my FIT so much.

Have you experienced any gurggling sound on your fit?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
The fuel tank being located directly beneath the front seats will make some sloshing noises, especially when less than full.

Other than this, I can't imagine a gurgling noise, unless you drove into a lake.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Don't know about the gurgling but stalling is an issue if you haven't done the LMS recall. Have you?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
You might want to search for some air leak in the hoses. If a crack in the hose opens due to vibration, it may cause an imbalance in some readings that shuts the engine down. Sometimes while working on cars and removing air lines as the engine ran produced what were sounds that could be a gurgling type noise. They are not too hard to check, either. While the engine is running open the hood and start moving around and squeezing the small air hoses. DON'T BURN YOURSELF on anything hot... be careful. But, sometimes flexing the right small air line will replicate the noise that you normally won't hear at idle. Also, if the idle is too, too slow just as it is about to stop, it will produce gasps for resuscitation that will resemble gurgling, like trying to find air.

Maybe if you could record the sound someone on this site could identify a similar condition.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by janet559
Hi guys,

About 2 years ago my car began to shut itself off at the same stop sign leaving work. I also have been hearing a gurgling sound when I rev the engine.

Has anybody else been experiencing this issue. I read other post about a valve adjustment, could my car be needing the same thing? I am at about 127,000 miles on my baby but I love her so much that I want her to feel all better.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Janet
I just did a valve adjustment on mine a couple of weeks ago with 97,000 miles showing. The difference is amazing! At 127,000 miles yours is definitely ready for an adjustment. As far as the gurlgling, I had this sound in mine at startup and when I revved it. It was an air bubble in the heater core. The cooling system had to be bled several times to get the air out and get it to stop making the noise. Hope this helps you out.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member
Am I the only one, who's first thought is... "About 2 years ago" and this hasn't be taken to a or any mechanic?!?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I think we should call the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Fits

+ 1 to bluefit on the gurgling heater core. I think that's a righteous call.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 AM
Fit turning off at stop signs

I have a 2007 Honda Fit and I had the same thing happen to me. It was soooo frustrating. The first 10 minutes after turning on my car, I couldn't press the break or the engine would turn off completely. It would turn off at stop signs and red lights. But after driving for a little bit, it would break just fine. My husband and I researched a lot online and found a lot of people saying the problem was that it needed a valve adjustment. We were reluctant to pay for a formal diagnosis so we called a couple local Honda dealerships and asked about getting a valve adjustment. They both acted like that was crazy and said Fits don't even need a valve adjustment. I finally took it in for a diagnosis and they called me the next day and said the problem was defiantly the quality of my fuel. They told me to go to Chevron and use Techron. I disagreed with them because I only ever get Techron gas from Chevron so that wasn't the problem. They didn't charge us for the diagnosis but I wasn't going to just pick it up without it being fixed and my husband was sure it needed a valve adjustment. So we took a gamble and had them do it. When we picked it up, it ran perfectly (even with the same tank of "cheap gas"). It's been several months now and it has never turned off on me since! So glad my husband knew what to do and that my car is fixed!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^ Glad you got it fixed!

Yeah dealerships often just tell people they had bad gas in the tank. They seem to fall back on that default diagnosis when they don't know the problem, I don't know why. And Fits need valve adjustments, why the f*ck don't all dealerships know this already?

The most common problems with the Fit's engine misfiring or shutting off are solved by:

1. Replacing the coilpacks (if misfiring on acceleration, more pronounced in higher gears)
2. Getting the valves adjusted (if engine misfires and/or shuts off completely, typically on a cold start, like after sitting overnight)

It kind of gets on my nerves nowadays when someone has this problem, and then the same people keep telling everybody to: get gas somewhere else, run fuel injector cleaner, use seafoam, change the spark plugs, clean the EGR valve, clean the throttle body, and all this other nonsense. It never works. Best case scenario is somebody uses one of these worthless "fixes" and then says the problem is gone, only to come back in 2 days and say the problem is still there.