General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas will break $5 a gallon this spring!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
3.05 in Colorado. Not expected to get much above 3.50. We get most of out oil from this area(CO,WY,Mont) But I feel for you guys.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Small cars will rule the street in the world.TIME will said.....

Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by jdhondafit
there is a better way then oil ya know. we just might have to use a more simpler fuel with a higher octane rating then at the gas pumps. If Nascar can do why the hell cant we.
Nascar also uses carbs, why can't we? Not a very good argument line.

Ethanol has a very serious downside. It readily absorbs water, even from the air. So the current transportation system of trucks, pipelines, etc is ill suited for this type of material - you would have water logged fuel and rusted out metals. You need a distribution system that is more local based and doesn't include long runs that allow the fuel to absorb water.

And the energy density is lower so you have to inject a lot more of it to make the same amount of power. So your fuel mileage goes down compared to straight gasoline even though the octane is higher. And after absorbing moisture the octane rating of E10 can drop over 3 points!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Virrdog
Nascar also uses carbs, why can't we? Not a very good argument line.

Ethanol has a very serious downside. It readily absorbs water, even from the air. So the current transportation system of trucks, pipelines, etc is ill suited for this type of material - you would have water logged fuel and rusted out metals. You need a distribution system that is more local based and doesn't include long runs that allow the fuel to absorb water.

And the energy density is lower so you have to inject a lot more of it to make the same amount of power. So your fuel mileage goes down compared to straight gasoline even though the octane is higher. And after absorbing moisture the octane rating of E10 can drop over 3 points!
So gas is better, what about the inside of that engine. Do you think it will be cleaner, ah I do. Go take your theory and ck it out with the flexfuel cars in america, these cars handle the fuel by advancing the timing. I agree that enthonal has its limitation like a farmer growing fuel and keeping the money in the community. I think with alittle bit of that backyard mechinic that improves most factory cars that hit the ground we can figure out any of the problems.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Waiting for the $5 mark, it's about 4.39 for 87 here

That's almost a dollar/gal increase in less than a month. Next Fit upgrade is a locking gas cap haha

Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by jdhondafit
So gas is better, what about the inside of that engine. Do you think it will be cleaner, ah I do. Go take your theory and ck it out with the flexfuel cars in america, these cars handle the fuel by advancing the timing. I agree that enthonal has its limitation like a farmer growing fuel and keeping the money in the community. I think with alittle bit of that backyard mechinic that improves most factory cars that hit the ground we can figure out any of the problems.
I had trouble understanding most of your post. My point was that it's not as simple as "Heck, lets just use ethanol! Nascar does it!" The distribution issues would need to be factored in, and the shelf life is very short (at the gas station or in your tank.)

And I never said anything about what the fuel does in the engine. It's a matter of fact that you end up using more, that goes for flexfuel daily cars and race cars alike. It's more apparent in race cars and dragsters where they have to put in bigger injectors to make high levels of horsepower with E85.