General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas will break $5 a gallon this spring!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goldy Lox
I just heard on the Today show that gas is supposed to average over $5 a gallon by Memorial day. We are paying around $3.70 in Wisconsin right now.

I think that economy cars like the Fit will be HOT sellers and will bring top dollar on the used market!!!
nnnn... maybe. there's really no point in buying another car to cover the difference in gas price imho unless one is living paycheck to paycheck kinda lifestyle i guess. everything calculated by week or month basis.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
nnnn... maybe. there's really no point in buying another car to cover the difference in gas price imho unless one is living paycheck to paycheck kinda lifestyle i guess. everything calculated by week or month basis.
Yup. People who buy cars just to get better gas mileage than their current car end up losing money in the end, despite how much less they may pay at the pump, unless their commute is insane (like an uncle of mine who bought a Prius since his daily commute was 120+ miles) or if they are seriously downgrading to something that costs less in every area, like going from an S-Class to a Corolla. However, it only makes sense to make that change if you were already going to buy a new car anyway and had already budgeted to do so.

It reminds me of this girl I used to know in college, who bought herself a Civic Hybrid in 2005 or 2006 to save money on gas compared to her CR-V. So yes, she was paying less in gas, but now had a significantly higher car payment along with increased insurance costs. And this was a girl who was going to law school right after graduating.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Every year (for several years now) in late-February to early-March we hear that gas is going to be $5.00/gal. by Memorial Day. I'm not saying they are crying 'wolf', but go back and check the news reports from past years and you will see this.

There have been disruptions in the Middle East, of some type, for over a decade. This year Iran, last year Libya, and previous years Iraq. Globally, nothing has really changed except the European, and possibly Chinese and Japanese economies are about to crash. As was stated by US government officials last Spring, US petroleum prices simply won't be allowed to escalate as high as 'media' predictions, nor as quickly. We MIGHT see $5/gal. but not by Memorial Day...and not in 2012. Our economy can't handle a spike that large that quick, nor can any other international economy.

I really wish our NEWS MEDIA would find a CLIFF and JUMP OFF...instead of trying to incite unnecessary worry and panic in people.

So, everyone...take a deep breath...tighten your belt (or seat belt )...and go for a nice drive!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 AM
i deliver pizzas in cali, and the average gas price is 4.29,4.39,4.49

Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwhopson
I really wish our NEWS MEDIA would find a CLIFF and JUMP OFF...instead of trying to incite unnecessary worry and panic in people.
Except, when people worry and panic, they watch the news... *hint hint*

Old 02-24-2012, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
I ran across a good article about how speculation is driving oil higher. Good read.

Speculation - not demand or regulation - behind dramatic gas price increases- Kingsport Times-News

Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
The bit about Colonial Pipeline running at or near capacity will have an impact on us; it's how Atlanta gets its gas.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 AM
Were consider the last of the superpowers, If brazil can grow their own fuel why the hell dont we. I would but I have gravel for a back yard.hehe.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 AM
On a brighter note, I put the Highest Octane rated from BP in the tank and wouldnt ya know it mileage for a tank full went up, the tank full before that was 257. this time Im around 300 with an 1/8 still left to go. This is with alot of highway driving 90%, but a speeds around 70ish.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
I just went snowboarding with some friends this past weekend, and we drove my friend's STI... which throughout the trip averaged only 19.6 mpg (which was a lot lower than I was expecting), which over the course of ~700 miles while premium is ~$4.50 per gallon ends up being a little unpleasant on the wallet. Oh well, I had fun.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdhondafit
Were consider the last of the superpowers, If brazil can grow their own fuel why the hell dont we. I would but I have gravel for a back yard.hehe.
Stronger sunlight has a lot to do with it. (Brazil's proximity to the equator.) Here we make it from corn, there they use cane. The cost of producing fuel with corn requires subsidies and regulations to make it happen.

Different plants besides corn are being investigated/hybridized for use in making ethanol here, but this takes money. Oil is still cheap compared to the investment required, making alternatives difficult to get going. Even when the price of oil spikes, it returns to low levels.

Then there is the issue of the crops grown for fuel competing with food crops. Even if it made fuel cheaper we'd pay for it at the supermarket.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
"US petroleum prices simply won't be allowed to escalate as high as 'media' predictions, nor as quickly. We MIGHT see $5/gal. but not by Memorial Day...and not in 2012. Our economy can't handle a spike that large that quick, nor can any other international economy." dwhopson
Watch A Gas Station Change Prices During Live National TV Broadcast As Two Corvettes Roll Up Check out the link to see an ABC news report. The price (which was @ 4.99) changed while the reporter spoke! $5.09/$5.19/$5.29!!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdhondafit
On a brighter note, I put the Highest Octane rated from BP in the tank...
this made me think to throwing in my 2cents.

As prices go up, the percentage cost to get the premium starts to go down...
So this should be an opportunity to give premium a try even more, rather than trying to save money to use regular.

If regular is $100/gallon, but premium is $100.16/gallon, do you still by regular to save the $.16cents even with all the hearsay that you might get a little bit more MPG with premium

Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by joesharp
In the last week, i've seen gas prices go up over $.30! My wallet can't take much more...i'm in the market for a new car with better gas mileage (i currently drive an SUV), and everyone is saying honda is the way to go! Any advice on what model I should get? How does the fit do for mpg?
I'm getting 34-37 mpg in the wonderful world of Atlanta metro rush hour traffic.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I was getting lower gas mileage with regular gas, so I said to meself y not try the highest octane and guess what, my car has shown an improvement. So I say go with high test.

All this talk of high prices, makes me want to take out the motor etc. and go back to the original plan

Pay it off and confert to electric. Still might.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by joesharp
In the last week, i've seen gas prices go up over $.30! My wallet can't take much more...i'm in the market for a new car with better gas mileage (i currently drive an SUV), and everyone is saying honda is the way to go! Any advice on what model I should get? How does the fit do for mpg?
It'll be dependent on your driving conditions. I drive exclusively stop and go conditions, short trips, with a lead foot and typically get around 30 (little below in winter little above in summer). If you drive mostly highways, expect to see mid to high 30s.

That said, if you want to save money, now is the worst time to trade in a gas guzzler for a fuel sipper. Your trade in will be devalued while the high mpg cars are going to be seeing higher demand. Of course, if its time to get rid of the old vehicle anyway, then ignore that.

As for what model to get, it really depends on what you want. The fit is pretty bare bones, with pretty good milage and pretty good space, while also being relatively inexpensive. IIRC, the civic will get better highway milage, but you are giving up cargo space and paying a bit more. The hybrids (CRZ and Insight) are also pretty good milage.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Even motor fuel is elastic. I have already cancelled one road trip to Michigan I had planned once fuel hit $3.99 out west here.

Enough people cancel plans and demand drops.

This is just sheer GREEDY market speculation. It's just like 2008. We are doing everything we did in '08, minus a housing crash, to create another market crash. Until we get the gamblers out of Wall Street, a recovery will never happen.

Even oil companies admit there's nothing to justify crude above $65 a barrel. There's just not enough demand right now. And America (thanks to fuel economy standards) seems to be on a long-term demand decline.

Last edited by larrymcewin; 02-27-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Let not your heart be troubled. There's 5 Arco stations within a dozen blocks priced at $3.99.

That station just wanted to get on the news. It's across the street from Cedar-Sinai ... the hospital/neighborhood where Michael Jackson lived/died.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
there is a better way then oil ya know. we just might have to use a more simpler fuel with a higher octane rating then at the gas pumps. If Nascar can do why the hell cant we.

Quick Reply: Gas will break $5 a gallon this spring!?