General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Key wont turn in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Key wont turn in ignition

Hi All

Have owned a second hand (2008) for about six months and today it decided not to let me turn the ignition key. It appears to be stuck between the 0 and 1 position but I cant turn it either direction. It feels like the steering lock is engaged.
One thing is that the steering lock has never worked on this car, you can just keep turning the steering wheel with no key inserted.
I`m wondering if this could be part of the problem? Any ideas how these things work and whether something could be preventing the key from turning?
I`ve tried the key in the doors and its fine.

Thanks

paul

Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
That's weird because my steering wheel does lock when I turn it without a key.

Have you tried turning the steering wheel while turning the key? If I remember correctly, you need to turn the wheel even farther away from center (so that if you were driving, you would turn harder instead of returning to a straight line), then turn the key. When the steering wheel is locked, it will prevent you from turning the key in the ignition.

Hope that works!

Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks but its not that. The steering lock doesnt work on the car full stop. You can always turn the wheel freely without a key. I`m wondering if that could be something to do with it, as it does feel like the steering lock is engaged and preventing me from turning the key. But like I say, the steering lock has never worked.

Anyway, I`ve found a mechanic who said hes fixed hundreds of honda fits so he knows exactly what the problem is (i hope). Seems to be down to using only one key for too long, but i`ll find out tomorrow hopefully.

Originally Posted by doctordoom
That's weird because my steering wheel does lock when I turn it without a key.

Have you tried turning the steering wheel while turning the key? If I remember correctly, you need to turn the wheel even farther away from center (so that if you were driving, you would turn harder instead of returning to a straight line), then turn the key. When the steering wheel is locked, it will prevent you from turning the key in the ignition.

Hope that works!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Let us know the results. Sounds to me like someone broke the steering lock before you owned it and that is probably the problem now.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Well I had the car fixed, well sort of. It seems the key has become very worn as we only have the one which caused the problem. So we`re going to get a new one. But he also took the ignition apart to sort it and it now feels a much smoother action than before, it always had a bit of an awkward turn when you turned on the ignition, but now it feels right.
But anyway we`re mobile again which is the main thing.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
did they fix the steering wheel lock?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pr1970
I`ve tried the key in the doors and its fine.
Originally Posted by pr1970
Well I had the car fixed, well sort of. It seems the key has become very worn as we only have the one which caused the problem. So we`re going to get a new one. But he also took the ignition apart to sort it and it now feels a much smoother action than before, it always had a bit of an awkward turn when you turned on the ignition, but now it feels right.
But you said the key worked fine on the doors, so was it really just the ignition lock cylinder that was worn?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Had an 82 Nissan. Thought cylinder was worn. Turned out the key had rounded.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
But you said the key worked fine on the doors, so was it really just the ignition lock cylinder that was worn?
Just because it worked in the door, doesn't mean it should work in the ignition. they're two different mechanisms. Everyone should make sure they always have good working spare to makes copies from, since making a copy from a worn one can leave you SOL

Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
a while ago when wife made the mistake of owning an altima the iginition switch mechancially seized as well after about 4yrs of use. i sprayed a dab of WD40 into the keyhole and it worked like a charm.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
a while ago when wife made the mistake of owning an altima the iginition switch mechancially seized as well after about 4yrs of use. i sprayed a dab of WD40 into the keyhole and it worked like a charm.
This is definitely not recommended. WD40 attracts dirt and although working now, may cause problems later. Graphite powder is what is usually suggested.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITmint
This is definitely not recommended. WD40 attracts dirt and although working now, may cause problems later. Graphite powder is what is usually suggested.
Graphite powder is not recommended. it makes your key black and filthy and also your pocket, purse, and everything your key touches.

WD40 works fine. i use it on my house locks from time to time... like 4-5yrs apart. absolutely NO ISSUE with dirt. remember, house locks are OUTSIDE 100% of the time.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:00 PM
At the end of the complete ignition module is a unit that turns and releases the lock for the wheel. it runs around 65 dollars . they refer to it as the ignition switch. the rod that does this has been broken in some way on yours. mine is right now reverse of this it's frozen in the lock position and I will need replacing it.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Dry graphite for ignition locks is not that black graphite LOL. I would not however use it on any newer car as it was designed for the old all metal ignition mechanisms and definately not on smart key set ups.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM
I recently had my 08 Fit towed in when the ignition key wouldn't turn. The dealer took the switch to the locksmith and had the pins replaced. When I got it back I noticed the key still inserted with some difficulty. I went to the locksmith myself and was told the key was worn and needed replacement. The new key with the re-keyed ignition switch did the job.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
My wife's RAV4 had the same problem. Try a new/different key.

This thread also reminded that I have never used the steering lock. I couldn't tell you if it even has one or if it works! LOL Guess I'll have to go back to the garage.

Last edited by hogwylde; 11-17-2012 at 08:51 AM.