General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What to request from the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:14 AM
What to request from the dealer

I'm picking up my new Fit tomorrow (as many of you probably know), and I have a bit of money to work with.
Here's the deal. I agreed on a purchase and OTD price last week under the assumption that my dealer was going to have to trade with another dealer. So they were going to have to pay a driver to go get the car and drive it back.
The car I am picking up was just rolled off the delivery truck yesterday. So now the dealer is not going to have to "eat" the cost of having her driver go get the car, plus they get to enjoy the entire hold back fee as it was sold before it hit the ground.

I know she's not going to knock $100 off the car. So I am going to request a good faith $100 of something in addition to the car when I pick it up. So what should I request from the dealer that I cannot get myself online?

I'm thinking about an additional master key and a bottle of touch up paint. I can get sun shades and dash covers on ebay and elsewhere. I haven't bought a new Honda in about nine years so I don't remember what usually comes with the car. Do they usually have a bottle of matching touch up paint in the glove box?

What do you all suggest? I'm not trying to "put the screws" to my dealer, but they sure made a big deal of what a great price I was getting before.
Thanks for you help.
GTN

Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM
IMO if you already signed the contract you have zero leverage. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I will be shocked if they throw in anything.
My car was obtained from another dealer. My sales rep was the one who picked it up. I'm sure it just filled some of the idle time that sales people have and really didn't cost the dealer anything.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I guess it can't hurt to ask though I don't know what type of leverage you may have as Metalofearth pointed out.

However, a few things you could ask for would be a cargo cover ($110) or a certificate to have the 1st servicing done for free.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:42 PM
No money has changed hands. The leverage I still have is the ability to walk away. I don't want to, and I don't plan to, but it's still there. This is all we really have as consumers.

Last edited by garythenuke; 01-01-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by garythenuke
No money has changed hands. The leverage I still have is the ability to walk away. I don't want to, and I don't plan to, but it's still there. This is all we really have as consumers.
To me it still seems like a difficult place to be for negotiation. You can of course ask for a few additional items with a good chance of getting the brush off. Would that then be a good enough reason to walk? Like I said it doesn't hurt to ask but I wouldn't let that be a reason to walk from the deal.

If your not in a hurry of course you could take your current offer to another dealer and see if they can do better but my guess is that would be a distance for you and this current dealer would be much more convenient in the long run for servicing and maintenance.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:21 PM
No it won't be a reason to walk, but it would be a reason not to gush to others regarding the way the dealership treated me. It would be one of those bend over backwards things that would go along way towards future "customership". Yeah I do live near BFE. If I lived in the Bay Area I would have 20 different dealers to choose from...

Old 01-01-2012, 04:28 PM
No it won't be a reason to walk, but it would be a reason not to gush to others regarding the way the dealership treated me. It would be one of those bend over backwards things that would go along way towards future "customership". Yeah I do live near BFE. If I lived in the Bay Area I would have 20 different dealers to choose from...
Well perhaps just be honest and upfront with what would make you happy with the deal and see how the salesman reacts. I'd make a guess that he would throw something extra in to make you happy if you were still not completely satisfied.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by GTRPLYR
Well perhaps just be honest and upfront
We are talking about interacting with car dealers right???

Seriously, I might try that tact and see how it goes. It's only $100 one way or another. Ironically our dryer died today... There's another grand out the window.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM
We are talking about interacting with car dealers right???

Seriously, I might try that tact and see how it goes. It's only $100 one way or another. Ironically our dryer died today... There's another grand out the window.
I feel your pain- I had gotten hit with a 1K dental bill the week I decided to buy the Fit.

Best of luck with the deal!

Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
No it won't be a reason to walk, but it would be a reason not to gush to others regarding the way the dealership treated me.
Have they treated you well until this point? If yes, then I wouldn't ding them over saying no to your request. Congrats on your new Fit!

Old 01-01-2012, 07:58 PM
They've treated me okay. Nothing to write home about, but not rude or aloof either. I probably won't dig them on it. The salesperson gets the same commission either way.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
They've treated me okay. Nothing to write home about, but not rude or aloof either. I probably won't dig them on it. The salesperson gets the same commission either way.
Definitely post pictures when you bring it home!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Most definitely!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
You're going to love it!

I haven't been this excited about a new vehicle purchase in awhile. The Fit is just so cool!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
I can't think of anything for $100 that you can't get online. But for what its worth, if it were me, I'd ask for all-weather mats (about $89 + shipping last time I checked).

Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Play it cool with the dealer... don't go in blazing wanting
a freebie.

Do check the vehicle over to ensure you get a full tank
of gas and that the pre-delivery inspection has been done.

See what they do if anything... if nothing is offered then
perhaps request they throw something in with reference
to the situation. It can never hurt to ask and they cannot
fault you for asking.

Goto honda.com and check out the accessories for anything
that may take your eye.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 PM
How about getting the window tinted or get some floor mats?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
Your best bet for anything free would be something win/win for you and them. May be free oil changes? So you will go back for services. Bulk oil cost little and they have to pay the labour for the people to be there anyway.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I picked it up today. I didn't hassle the salesman on the $100. They've treated me okay and I'm just happy to have it home. I would have spent more energy being pissed if they'd said "no" to my request than I would have being happy about whatever doo-dad I got...

Boy what a fun drive home. Fortunately I have a 50 mile. 1:15 commute each way to and from work...

Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Extra keys (about $50 each) and floor mats.

Quick Reply: What to request from the dealer