General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Cracking paint issue???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Good catch, swirl marks are absolutely not due to lack of clear coat.

Leaning on your car won't cause the paint to crack. The OEM paint is flexible, which is why you see where the fender meets the bumper, the paint is peeling off like dried glue. This section of peeling is 'normal' in 2007 Fits, a lot of us have experienced it - it's just from rubbing that occurs between the panels, a poor design. If you've ever removed your bumper, you will know that it and the paint on it are flexible; twisting it around does not cause the paint to break.

Do you have better pictures of the other paint problem though? The one that runs along the wheel well? I have no idea what's going on there.
I guess you never sanded clear coat. I could of said its a lack of instead of no clear coat so for that thanks but I was in a middle of 5 or 6 threads. I also said it could be fixed. There are many people on here that would of emailed me to let me know if I was wrong. The fender is not like cars of the past and you can dent and pull it out without thinking anything is wrong.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thelate1
I was a little vague in my original post. Like I mentioned in my last reply, I was aware of the bumper peeling and placed 1/16 rubber washers between the fender and the bumper to solve this. That washer must've cracked and fallen out and I didn't notice it in time before it rubbed off. That can be touched up and really isn't my main concern. The cracking on the other hand has me upset. Here are the other two cracked spots on the same fender. They are hard to see but they're there.

I think I see your problem, the gravel you drive on chipped the paint. I was going to ask if you were in a accident but you would of said that if you were.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I guess you never sanded clear coat. I could of said its a lack of instead of no clear coat so for that thanks but I was in a middle of 5 or 6 threads. I also said it could be fixed. There are many people on here that would of emailed me to let me know if I was wrong. The fender is not like cars of the past and you can dent and pull it out without thinking anything is wrong.
You guess I never sanded clear coat? Where did that come from? I have sanded paint before, but that's besides the point - I don't get why you even worked that accusation in there. There's no need to get defensive just because people disagree.

I see a lot swirl marks which is a sign of no clear coat and you can see how soft the paint is.
The swirl marks is the soft paint and lack of clear coat.
As you can see, you did say "lack of clear coat" and you also did say "no clear coat." Anyway, my point is that swirl marks are caused by minute scratches. One can drag a dirty towel over a brand new car and it will instantly have swirl marks. Swirls don't only show up when you're losing clear-coat and are no way an indicator of how much clear-coat is left on the car. One could assume that swirls prove that the paint was neglected, then follow that with another assumption, that because the paint was probably neglected, it probably doesn't have much clear-coat remaining.

But if one is going to rely on assumptions to draw conclusions, he/she will inevitably deduce his/her way to false conclusions - such as the assumption that because I have a different opinion on this topic, I must have never sanded paint before.

You're welcome to defend your position, but please do it with some logic. You're not making any valid arguments by attacking me or referencing the fact that nobody emailed you to say you were wrong. When I first saw your posts about swirl marks, I didn't even want to get into the discussion, but then somebody asked about it and I ended up trying to help clarify. I'm not in this discussion to call you out or anything like that.

All I care is that good info gets shared. If I'm wrong, let me know - I don't have a problem with being wrong. After all, we can't learn anything new if we come in stubbornly believing we already know everything.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Doctor-doom, There is info on this site that I could tear apart but dont. It seems what ever I write is under scrutiny and only by a few. You tell me is that coincidence. I only want to give the best advice and sometimes saying a few things and seeing the reaction tells it all. I only talk about things I have a good handle on so its your learning curve that is the issue. If I am wrong I call it learning too. Your never to old to learn and what you think you know is a small part of the big picture and there is always more to it.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
I think I see your problem, the gravel you drive on chipped the paint. I was going to ask if you were in a accident but you would of said that if you were.
Those pics were taken right after I washed the car, thus the wet tires with tiny gravel all over them. These aren't stone chips, they're definite cracks.
The car has been garaged about half of it's life due to us moving and her using the garage now. I do my best to keep up with the paint. No accidents in the front.

Last edited by thelate1; 12-28-2011 at 01:00 AM.