General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Which generation to get? help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Which generation to get? help!

I am 100% about to buy a fit within the next month and I dont know which generation to get! I really want to do some aftermarket mods like: air intake, torque damper and maybe even turbo kit in the future... but i only seem to find stuff for the USDM 07-08 models.

Is there anything out there for the newer generation fit or just mainly the previous? Which would you suggest i get? and what mods would u recommend? Thanks!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
I would recommend driving both and seeing which one you like better. Start with that then consider the aftermarket support. Imports are a little like sportbikes in that aftermarket support follows the newer models. Whatever is available for the GD right now is probably all that ever will be available. The GE will continue to have new stuff developed for it until the next model comes out.

There is a GD and GE in my family. The GE is nicer, rides better, and is a little more roomy. The GD handles better, is more nimble, and is more sporty in general.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM
oh ok, yea i have driven a GE and it is real nice. i am going to test drive a GD soon at a dealership its an 08 with 55k on it. I would hope more stuff comes out for the GE in general because that style has been out for the past 3 years and there isnt much...

If the GD is more nimble i may get that one because I currently autocross with my car and want to autocross with the fit. I know it wont be the fastest but still fun i bet!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ive owned both and i think the GD (07-08) are sportier but the GE (09-2012) are much better car overall.

if i was to get one today i would get the GE.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
For autocross use it depends on your willingness to modify. The GD is the better performer stock with higher skidpad numbers and about 50 lbs less weight. However, the GE is reported to have substantially higher structural rigidity.

So, the GD needs chassis braces to equal the GE's rigidity and the GE would need a diet and springs/coilovers to equal the GD's handling. Overall, you can't go wrong with either model in my book.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I really love the looks of the GE and wouldnt mind getting springs sooner or later anyhow. If the GE is more rigid that may be better yes?

haha i really like that the GD has a turbo kit tho! and the t1r chamber intake

Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
from my experience i couldn't really tell if the GE's frame is more rigid than the GD or not.

the GE's kinda tall so this is probably why it feels it has more sway when you turn vs GD..(?) before i was able to hit the limit of the chassis the open diff screwed me so. hahaha. get LSD if you're planning to run this in autox.

handling wise both cars are pretty much like a point and shoot camera. just point the car in the direction you want to go and it just goes that way pretty much effortlessly. i had a cooper-s a while back..and while the Fit does not have the dynamics or the accurate steering feel like the MINI's, the Fit is very capable to turn like the MINI's with just a simple tire upgrade.

the stock tires on the Fit are garbage for performance driving.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:04 PM
kenchan i was suggested to get some Z214 slicks (205/50/16) for my stock wheels to run in.
also to get a cusco front sway bar. those would help yes?

i am going to get a GE haha, i have been talking to others about it annnnnnnnnnnnnd while turbo would be sick on a GD, i dont really need it, haha just WANT it....

Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 PM
what other good tires are out there for autoX-ing?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
from my experience i couldn't really tell if the GE's frame is more rigid than the GD or not.

the GE's kinda tall so this is probably why it feels it has more sway when you turn vs GD..(?) before i was able to hit the limit of the chassis the open diff screwed me so. hahaha. get LSD if you're planning to run this in autox.

handling wise both cars are pretty much like a point and shoot camera. just point the car in the direction you want to go and it just goes that way pretty much effortlessly. i had a cooper-s a while back..and while the Fit does not have the dynamics or the accurate steering feel like the MINI's, the Fit is very capable to turn like the MINI's with just a simple tire upgrade.

the stock tires on the Fit are garbage for performance driving.
I agree completely except the need for an LSD. Maybe mine is just underpowered or I'm not pushing hard enough, but I've never gotten wheel spin at any speed or under any condition. Would like to, but haven't. Trust me...I'm trying cause I'm still like a 16 year old on his first car drive and want tire smoke

I had a Sentra specV with the helical limited slip and it was incredible! That car was HEAVILY modified and still stuck like glue with sticky tires. It would destroy the factory Continentals so I put them on from time to time for fun

Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Autocross is such a specific form of racing that I would recommend going to a local event and seeing what tires the small, light cars are winning with. You also have to decide if you want to run in stock class with factory suspension on regular tires or if you want to step to the next class with suspension mods and slicks.

I had good luck with Falken Azenis on my specV with factory suspension, but I've seen others here say ther weren't so great on the Fit.

I have Yokohama S-drives on our Fit and I can't get them to loose grip no matter how hard I try. I went through tail of the dragon with them at speeds that would scare me on my sportbike with little drama.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 PM
i will probably run in a stock class for a while till im used to the Fit then want to step up.

ill check out those s-drives if they sound that good haha!

im still kind of stuck on what to get tho haha, a GD? or GE?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TeeZeeMee
i will probably run in a stock class for a while till im used to the Fit then want to step up.

ill check out those s-drives if they sound that good haha!

im still kind of stuck on what to get tho haha, a GD? or GE?
If you are strictly shopping used, I would just look for whatever you find that is in the best condition, lowest mileage, favorite color, best deal, etc and ignore the year. I mean, if you find the color combo you want and it's in great shape and the price is right, BUY IT! There aren't that many Fit's in the used market so I wouldn't be as picky about year as I would condition.

If you can swing the payments on a new one, get a 2012. It is the best Fit to date in my opinion. Best looking and supposedly more quiet. The front on the 09-11 just doesn't do it for me. My Mom and a friend have one and I just don't like the look, but that is totally a personal opinion.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:07 PM
yea u have noticed that finding these pre-owned is slim. theres a lot of GE around here that have been turn over as fleet cars or wtv from companies