General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Long-term test drive? How did you know the Fit was right for you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:06 PM
AJP
Long-term test drive? How did you know the Fit was right for you?

I'm finally ready to retire my '94 Accord (which is still trucking along!) Went to the Honda dealership and became quite interested in the Fit. I've given both a used 2009 and new 2012 model a test drives and think it might be the car for me. Currently I'm a college student with a short daily commute but want this car to "fit" my needs past graduation (though I don't see much long-distance travel in the future).

Here's my issue (anyone's issue) - how in the world are you supposed to know if a car works for you from two measly test drives? I can't find one for rental and don't know anyone that owns one. I'm looking to buy used to save money (have found some promising listings online) but I can't plunk down $14k+ for a car I don't know will truly fit my needs.

My two concerns (which I have researched thoroughly) are road noise and seat comfort. I am petite and have chronic pain, which stack the odds against me in the seat comfort department.

How did you know the Fit was the right car for you? Is there any way to try one out for longer than a dealership test drive?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
I didnt even test-drive mine. I asked what the MPG was, asked the price, then signed the papers. I was out the door in less than an hour. LOL

Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Road noise is worse than my civic or odyssey. Ride is harsher.

I take my van for long drives(comfort). I bought it for ease of parking in downtown Oakland. MPG/price is comparable to a Civic LX.

Last edited by TrungLam; 11-10-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 11-10-2011, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
You should be able to verify within yourself while test driving it from the dealership if it is for you or not, especially if you did the research that you have stated. Can you take a longer / extended test drive on a new car is probably not going to happen, depending on what you mean by a longer drive. Dealerships go out of their way to make sure extra mileage on the odometer is kept at a minimum. Who would buy a car, particularly a new one with a lot of miles on the odometer before you drive it off the lot? I think mine had 32mi. on it

Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
In reality the ride sucks. I am lowered on Swifts and it is just plain rough ride on some roads. On smooth hwys at speed it is fun. It is my 3rd childhood toy as I am well beyond the 2nd one.

I still enjoy getting into it after 2 1/2 yrs

Old 11-11-2011, 02:17 PM
While I doubt you'd consider this feasible, it at least is what you asked for. Come to San Francisco and rent a Fit via CityCarShare. I don't see any Fits on ZipCar, but there might be another regional car share/rental service closer to you.

When shopping for my Fit (which hasn't arrived yet), I was anxious to test drive all the competing models in the segment, but when reality struck home (there aren't any at dealerships around here, combined with both working full time AND going to school full time), I reflected on all the rental cars I've had, and I'm just not that picky. I need a car to take me places, and the Fit will do that. It's small enough to make finding parking easier (than my Subaru wagon) and gets much better gas mileage. I'm comforted by it continuing to do well on Consumer Reports best cars list, and compared to any other car out there, the enormous knowledgebase/community support of FitFreak really sealed the deal. At worst, I get a car that I don't like, won't drive much, and can resell in a few years (after Honda moves production to Mexico, I expect Japanese-made models to shoot up in resale). At best, I get a car that revives my enjoyment of driving around in a zippy little car, with good enough gas mileage that I don't mind traipsing around the area just for pleasure.

Will it be noisier than my nicer current car? Sure, but am I wanting to spend the money on a similarly nicer car? No. You just have to be clear about your needs/expectations. My first car (when I went to in college in the Pacific NW) had a sunroof that dripped water on me every time I made a right turn and a transmission that would shift into reverse only about 20% of the time. But the ($500) price was right, duct tape sealed up the sunroof, and I made sure to park in well-slanted parking garages.

You say you're ready to retire your '94 Accord, but it's "still trucking along" -- you just need to be clear to yourself that the Fit offers whatever deficiencies you're dissatisfied with in your older Accord.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Ask the dealer to let you take one for an extended test drive. This isn't unreasonable. Keeping it over a weekend is normal.

They may not want to let you take a new one, but they shouldn't have a problem letting you take a used GE8 (current model generation).

Most dealers will allow you to drive a new one for a weekend. The exception to this was Volvo that would only let me take a used copy. I liked the used one enough that I bought it. I didn't ask for this on the Fit, but I'm sure they'd have let me take a used one at least.

As far as the Fit goes, the seat makes or breaks it. For me it's fine (5'8" 165lbs).

The only bothersome thing (to me) are buzzes/rattles from the dash either from road vibration or playing music. 2012s have better sound insulation that may lessen this. In other respects 2012s are the same as 2011s

2009-2010 lack vehicle stability control unless equipped with navigation, and may miss a couple electronic features (cruise control, USB port) the 11's and 12's have on the Base model, but handling and ergonomics are identical.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:36 PM
My salesguy let me test drive for about an hour, which was cool. Didn't even say anything about my WOT runs and rev-matching lol. He was a younger guy though.

Car just felt good to me and I came back to it even after test driving other cars from other companies.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
^^ Nice write-up from Still smilin' which more or less sums up my own reasoning.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
When I couldn't quit grinning. Two years later, still lovin' it.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
I knew I wanted one the first time I saw a review in Car and Driver back in 2006.

Rode in one a few years later.

Test drove this one about 1 mile, didn't even need to though, I was sold from the moment I laid eyes upon it.

Negotiated the price down a bit, handed him the check, transferred the title over, haven't looked back.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Here's another thing to consider. You buy a car, not marry it. This isn't as big of a thing as you think. I'm 39 and have owned 17 or so cars. I enjoyed almost every one of them.

The HUGE plus of a Honda and specifically a Fit is the re-sale value. If you don't like it, you can get back out of it without costing you a fortune. The same can not be said of many other models.

Fit compared to your Accord:
Fit handles better
Fit gets better mpg
Fit can hold more (I've had a washing machine in ours)
Fit is more stylish
Fit is more "fun"
Accord is more comfortable
Accord is smoother riding
Accord is basically a "nicer" vehicle

So, you'd be giving up some "niceness" for some "fun" and economy.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Here's another thing to consider. You buy a car, not marry it. This isn't as big of a thing as you think. I'm 39 and have owned 17 or so cars. I enjoyed almost every one of them.

The HUGE plus of a Honda and specifically a Fit is the re-sale value. If you don't like it, you can get back out of it without costing you a fortune. The same can not be said of many other models.

Fit compared to your Accord:
Fit handles better
Fit gets better mpg
Fit can hold more (I've had a washing machine in ours)
Fit is more stylish
Fit is more "fun"
Accord is more comfortable
Accord is smoother riding
Accord is basically a "nicer" vehicle

So, you'd be giving up some "niceness" for some "fun" and economy.
This, and 6 cars here for a 19 year old

Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 PM
I agree with what others have said it's a big purchase but nothing like buying a house! Buy it if you think it's right for you and if in a year it's not what you thought then get another car I did the same with my Subaru.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AJP
I'm finally ready to retire my '94 Accord (which is still trucking along!) Went to the Honda dealership and became quite interested in the Fit. I've given both a used 2009 and new 2012 model a test drives and think it might be the car for me. Currently I'm a college student with a short daily commute but want this car to "fit" my needs past graduation (though I don't see much long-distance travel in the future).

Here's my issue (anyone's issue) - how in the world are you supposed to know if a car works for you from two measly test drives? I can't find one for rental and don't know anyone that owns one. I'm looking to buy used to save money (have found some promising listings online) but I can't plunk down $14k+ for a car I don't know will truly fit my needs.

My two concerns (which I have researched thoroughly) are road noise and seat comfort. I am petite and have chronic pain, which stack the odds against me in the seat comfort department.

How did you know the Fit was the right car for you? Is there any way to try one out for longer than a dealership test drive?
you bring up a good point. test drives only give you a quick flavor at best and until you own/lease the car for atleast 3-4months you dont really know the car all too well.

i bought mine based on past experience with honda's. that was enough for me to start things off. but later found the driving position is just not meant for my body. pedals are too close and steering wheel is too far when i push the seat back. it just wasn't the most comfy car for me. but my wife likes the car and she's the primary user so that all worked out well. reliablity wise it's been great, lots of cabin rattles but that does not bug me too much. the cargo space and utility easily makes up for the little imperfections.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:29 PM
i bought mine because i thought it was cool. i didn't care about road noise or stupid annoyance issues because im not that anal. i didn't care about gas mileage and i didn't care about price. (family discount) i just bought it because i already liked and wanted a fit, and also becasue i think it looks good. didn't buy it for any particular technical reasons. didn't buy it for the want of hybrid gas mileage, and i didn't buy it for comfort. bottom line, if you need serious hardcore reasons why something is for you, it probably isn't.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
I'm buying it because it is FUN! Number 1 reason, the rest is gravy.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 PM
still breaking my new one in...

already hauled something in it within hours of driving it off the lot this past weekend - bought an antique chair off of craigslist - and the guy who I bought it from (who owns a suburban) kept saying "wow - that actually fits in there? there's a lot of room in there!" then he repeated "it's a 'fit?' it's made by honda?" I think I may have converted someone already and I've only owned this car for 3 days.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Imagine what it's been like having one since early 2008. First question people ask is..."is it a hybrid?" We say no. Then..."what mileage does it get?" and we say 34ish. Then they say..."WOW...I WANT ONE!"

People are thrilled to hear there's a decent alternative to hybrids. We wanted a car like the Fit, but would never buy something with the future extreme repair bills that come with buying a hybrid.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
i didn't test drive mine... i was sold on the fact that it was a honda and a hatchback.... AND had 4 doors.

i didn't care about the MPG... or the folding magic seats..

Quick Reply: Long-term test drive? How did you know the Fit was right for you?