General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Bike Rack Redux

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Bike Rack Redux

I've searched all the posts here and have come to the conclusion that there are no bike racks that will attach to the rear of the car with standard straps or cables. It seems that the spoiler is the culprit. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to go with a hitch-mounted rack.

While searching through the posts, I read one in which the poster stated that the Honda warranty would be void if I added a hitch to the car... that would be the entire warranty. This afternoon I was on the phone to the Honda Place and mentioned this to the person.... She said, "No. That is not true." She went on to explain that any user-mod that causes a problem will not be covered, but that the warranty on the rest of the car remains intact.

In the morning I'm off to a bike rack store......

Old 10-04-2011, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds good.

If you were to actually tow something and Honda said towing is not recommended, a drive train problem might not be covered.

The hitches just bolt on. And towing something less than the rated cargo capacity (850lbs psgrs and cargo) should be no problem.

Need to get me a pine straw trailer.

And yeah, the strap on bike racks (I have a yakima trunk rack from an earlier car) don't want to attach. It's not worth forcing and damaging the hatch, spoiler, blikes...

Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
The manual says no towing, but since a hitch can also be used for bike racks I don't think Honda could void your warranty just because you have a hitch. If you have no interest in towing, you could further defend your position if you don't install a wiring harness for trailer lights. And even if you do install the wiring, there are uses for lights even without a trailer. For example, attaching some magnetically mounted lights to the back of your bike rack for added safety. I actually used some of the those lights to attach to the back of a big ladder I was hauling on my roof (different car, not the Fit).

So bottom line is that unless you pull in for Honda warranty service with an actual trailer hitch ball attached to your hitch receiver, they would have a tough time trying to claim the car was used for towing.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
I have a hitch on my Fit and it has been to the dealer a few times when I had to replace the carpet & an oil change-- both times I had the bike rack & my bike on it- they never said a word.
I have this Swagman brand bike rack. I drove over 4500 miles across country and back with my bike on it w/o any problems.

Amazon.com: Swagman XC Cross-Country 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (1/1/4 and 2-Inch Receiver): Sports & Outdoors

Last edited by sooznd; 10-05-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
I used to work at a sporting good store that sold bike racks that would attach to the back hatch with straps. Although I am no expert, nor have ever used one, my assumption is that bike racks built to be used on SUVs or wagons can be used for our FITs. The hatch design is fairly similar. Just make sure that the straps can be tighten enough since our hatches are relatively smaller.

This is just an example on amazon, but I am sure you can go to your local biking shop or sporting goods store to find out more information (ex. REI, The Sports Authority). Stray away from Big 5 for advice though... LOL.

Amazon.com: Hollywood Racks F1B The Original 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors

Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
The spoiler interferes with a strap-on style rack on the Fit Sport model. It would work on the Base model.The only racks that will work for the Sport model are hitch or roof mount.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
I have a base model and a strap on Saris rack. It works fine in terms of strapping on, but when I put two bikes on it and did a road trip last summer, the hooks on the top of the hatch left marks in the paint and small dents on the top of the hatch. I had much of the weight sitting on the bumper too, and that was looking like it was going to leave marks too, but didn't. I would like to get a hitch and a rack, but the $$$ is just too much right now. I'm also interested in getting a kayak someday, so a roof rack would make more sense for about the same money.

Anyone else have thoughts on the most versatile rack systems for the least money?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jstrick38us
Anyone else have thoughts on the most versatile rack systems for the least money?
If you do a search you'll find quite a few threads discussing rack options. I think the cheapest quality rack you can buy new would be Inno. Inno is the Japanese equivalent of Yakima (USA) and Thule (Sweden). I have an Inno rack and like it, and the bars are compatible with Thule accessories. Search for "Inno" and "rack" as separate keywords and you'll find several threads with details and photos that I posted. Note that at one point I thought the place I had bought from had stopped carrying Inno, but I was wrong. They still seem to be readily available.

But since you may want a complete rack, bike carrier, kayak saddles, etc., you might find a deal on a used package with everything and then just buy new feet for the Fit. Those accessory attachments can really add up otherwise.