General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I hate my f'ing Fit. How can I get the dealer to fix this at no cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
I hate my f'ing Fit. How can I get the dealer to fix this at no cost?

I'm fed up with my Fit. I regret ever buying it. I should have just bought an old Civic.

Long story short, about a year ago my driver side door lock on base model stopped opening from the outside. The key is very hard to get in the lock and then it won't turn, and the key is hard to take out.

The dealer wants $300 to replace this. They claim $95 for the lock, $100 for labor and then $100 or more to have a locksmith set the lock to the key or some BS.

With my stupid car payment, I don't have that just laying around, so I started dealing with it and going in through the passenger side. NOW the passenger side is doing it.

I took the door panel off and can't see anything blocking it, so it's the tumbler itself I assume. I don't have $600 to spend on some damn door locks.

Is there any way I can get Honda to fix this. My car is out of warranty, 82xxxx miles on it, 2008.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
I'd visit an auto locksmith. Or at least invest in some graphite lock lubricant and see if that helps.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
I'd visit an auto locksmith. Or at least invest in some graphite lock lubricant and see if that helps.
Good advice. I would suspect this poor Fit is abused and never washed . Likely just accumulation of crud.

Alternative is not to lock it. Like who is going to steal it?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Does the 2008 have the remote keyless entry electronics built into it like the 2010s do? If so, for very little money on ebay you can buy a key, program it, and just use the remote part to open the doors (and your old key to start the car).

Old 08-27-2011, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think the '08 has the electronics.

One of the things that got me to get the remote key on my '09 base was how hard the key turned in the lock even new. It felt like it was binding.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
i hace a 2002 Jazz and have already placed the drivers door barrel in 2005 and now have to replace it again.
All you need is a door barrel from Honda that a mechanic can fit and i have been quoted £100 fitted.
i hope this helps.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
I wash the car all the time, about once a week. Also, I don't have keyless entry since it's a base model, so obviously the door locks get used alot.

However, all the 20 year old cars I've ever owned never had this problem, especially with BOTH of them going out.

I DID call Honda of America and the guy was helpful and opened my case up for review for an out of warranty repair. I have to get an estimate in writting from the dealer and submit it. I'm sure nothing will come from it, but worth a try.

If they won't fix it, I'm gonna just buy the keyless entry kit from Bernardi and install that. I've tried graphite lube and WD40 more than a few times.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
I wash the car all the time, about once a week. Also, I don't have keyless entry since it's a base model, so obviously the door locks get used alot.

However, all the 20 year old cars I've ever owned never had this problem, especially with BOTH of them going out.

I DID call Honda of America and the guy was helpful and opened my case up for review for an out of warranty repair. I have to get an estimate in writting from the dealer and submit it. I'm sure nothing will come from it, but worth a try.

If they won't fix it, I'm gonna just buy the keyless entry kit from Bernardi and install that. I've tried graphite lube and WD40 more than a few times.
WD40 will combine with dust and dirt to make mud; locks will jam up.

WD40 and graphite will make graphite mud.

I know the temptation to squirt WD40 in there is strong, but this actually hurts.

Graphite by itself is the recommended lock lube, used sparingly. Here's some more on it.

If Honda doesn't warranty your locks, I'd visit a locksmith who can disassemble the things, clean them, and lubricate them with graphite. It shouldn't cost that much if the mechanisms aren't damaged.

'09 Base Fits and up have the electronics for remote entry but only lack the remote entry keys.

Yeah, I think the Fit's locks are substandard. My 12 year old Honda had better mechanisms, at least based on the ease of operation and absolutely no maintenance over the 12 years.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the recommendations. If Honda won't do it, I'll go your route with a locksmith.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
also if you haven't already do so clean off the Key to. Good luck with everything

Old 08-28-2011, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Try lubricating the lock cylinder first. Our Fit has the same problem, but we have the keyless. Honestly I can't remember the last time we used the door lock. I make sure it's lubed up with Fluid Film just in case we have to use it.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
I called the dealer to see how much to get the "estimate" the guy at HOA said I would need. The dealer wants $75 just to tell me how much it's gonna cost to get fixed.

For $107+$11 S&H I can buy the keyless entry kit from Bernardi.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
WD40 is your friend. just becareful not to put your key in your pocket or purse while the oil is not fully dried.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
so did you try it? i use WD40 about every 3yrs on my house keys too.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Does the 2008 have the remote keyless entry electronics built into it like the 2010s do? If so, for very little money on ebay you can buy a key, program it, and just use the remote part to open the doors (and your old key to start the car).
Door keypad no. Remote lock-unlock yes with the OEM anti-theft.

Never know. A friend took his Ridgeline to a Honda dealer (not where he bought from since he was already stranded). Issue was his tranny gave. Started with a whining noise. Left his truck there for diagnosis since he didn't want to drive it for fear of more damage. So, short story, expired warranty, coolant found in tranny, and was bracing for the repair estimate. Service manager made calls to HOA, and all the service work became "friendly service" or "courtesy service" covered. Something like that. Kinda like in good faith PR since they couldn't figure out how it happened.

So good luck. If it doesn't work out, then yeah locksmith... or keep the windows rolled down and pretend you're a NASCAR driver

Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the help everyone. I was told I'd get a call from HOA on Monday or Tuesday, but no dice. =/

Old 09-18-2011, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
X2 on the keyless entry from Bernardi. I got mine there and the install is simple.

If you are at all mechanically inclined, removing the lock cylinder and cleaning it should be simple. Just take care not to lose any of the springs or tumblers inside, and (of course), make certain that the tumblers go back in the correct order.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Is there any way I can get Honda to fix this. My car is out of warranty, 82xxxx miles on it, 2008.
you just answered your own question. better question would be "why do YOU think honda SHOULD pay for it?" cars have issues. we just have to deal with them. or take the bus

Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
so did you try it? i use WD40 about every 3yrs on my house keys too.
Craig the Loxsmith says that WD-40 use on locks is one of the best things that ever happened for his trade...

Old 10-14-2011, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Craig the Loxsmith says that WD-40 use on locks is one of the best things that ever happened for his trade...
wow that bad, huh? on the contrary on my house keys it's been fantastic. never once had to call the locksmith. one time a buddy's altima's ignition was completely seized...until a dab of WD40 and no need to call the locksmith or tow truck.

Quick Reply: I hate my f'ing Fit. How can I get the dealer to fix this at no cost?