General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Can I Get My Deposit Back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Question Can I Get My Deposit Back?

I put a $500.00 deposit on a Sport a/t and was told it would take two to three months, because there are no Fits in NC. I just looked at inventory of 4 dealers within a 50 mile radius and there are 9 all models sports base a/t m/t . The dealer has cashed my deposit check. Has anyone got theirs back and bought somewhere else?

Old 07-02-2006, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
By law deposits are refundable simply go to the dealer and tell him you wish to cancel your order. Ussually within 2-3 days they should have a check ready for you.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Yes you can. Just head back to the dealership and tell them you would like to withdraw your deposit. It's not too hard. Although the dealers might hound you to keep it there.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
I got my deposit back from the first dealer i went to because in almost three weeks they never found me a car, so my dad found another dealer and we had the car in three days!

Old 07-03-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm surprised that they cashed your check. I worked with Honda Cars of Rock Hill (just over the SC border) and they held the $500 check until the car came in. I wound up buying it, but they still didn't cash the check...

Old 07-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I agree with sherifisher. They should not have cashed your check. I put a deposit down about a month before I got my car and when I went to sign the papers, there was my check - uncashed.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
They may go ahead and put the check through to make sure you're good for it, but they have to be prepared to refund your money if another dealer can do a better job of getting a car for you. If all else fails, contact Honda America's customer service people to intercede.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm glad you got ur deposit back! I heard someone had a hard time getting it back before

Old 07-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by oOo LinDa
I'm glad you got ur deposit back! I heard someone had a hard time getting it back before
That would be me. The dealer finally refunded my deposit after I contacted Honda of America and complained about them and disputing the charge withmy credit card company. It took the dealership about two weeks to refund my deposit.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITSutra
That would be me. The dealer finally refunded my deposit after I contacted Honda of America and complained about them and disputing the charge withmy credit card company. It took the dealership about two weeks to refund my deposit.
How about a lawsuit? I would imagine it would be very easy to win.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:24 PM
I've got one on order. The dealer said they would not refund the deposit if I came in to drive their Base MT (I'm getting a Silver Sport AT) and didn't cancel at that point. Of course, I haven't been able to make it in for the test drive yet....

With the high demand, they're just being dumb. They have absolutely no risk of getting "stuck" with a vehicle they can't sell.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by FITSutra
if the deposit is large enough i'd just file a criminal theft report with the local police and/or district attorney.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:34 PM
I agree with what's been said. They shouldn't have cashed your check. Have done the deposit thing three times for various cars, two of which weren't purchased. In the non-purchase situations, the check was held and then torn up. I'd be wary of this dealership.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
the dealership I am going through cashed my check right away as well. I'm not to worried at this point. I was told that they would not have a VIN until July, so I am calling them after the holiday to see where things are sitting. The sales guy is a friend, and its a small enough town that I can get some bad word of mouth going if they screw me over.

As everyone else has said you should get your deposit back. If they try to pull the "well we ordered this car for you.." garbage fight them. The car won't be sitting in their inventory for more than a week more than likely.

Last edited by uiskibum; 07-05-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Hopefully this won't be a problem for me

I put down a $500 deposit about a month ago, and, looking at what was already coming in, he had told me I had about a 1 to 1.5 month wait. I called this guy to see if he had found any other MR M/Ts in the area and all he wanted to do was sell me what was on the lot - even though it wasn't any of the colors I wanted. Additionally, he tried constantly to sell me an AT transmission I told him I would never be interested in.

Today (03/30/07) I called another Honda dealership 45 minutes away and found the exact color in a MT. If everything is as it should be, I'll be picking up a new car tomorrow.

I'll have to get my deposit back from Honda of Mentor, though, which I'm sure they won't let go easily (considering they already cashed the check, i think). I have to say I'm a little pissed, though, because the guy said he could swap provided another dealer had what I was looking for. It's been weeks and not a word from him. I call to about 5 dealerships in the area and in less than one hour, I found the car I was looking for...Not cool Honda of Mentor, not cool...

-Steve

Old 03-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I haven't heard of a dealership keeping the deposit when someone ends up not wanting the car.

did you sign anything? If not then you should have no problem what so ever.

If you did, check the document.

Again, you shouldn't have a problem, but if you do... get your lawyer on the horn.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned
I had a dealer try to say that my $500.00 deposit was "non-refundable" when I was "Fit-shopping" last September. It took a threatening letter from my lawyer (letter was free because of my Prepaid Legal Services membership) and my own letter threatening to have TV and radio coverage if they made court action necessary. Got my refund in two days. Good luck- it may take a few days, but there does not seem to be any legal reason for your dealer to legally keep your money.

Congratulations on finding YOUR CAR in stock somewhere. I hope it is being sold without the usual rip-off mark up.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:49 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
I NEVER cash a check until the customer actually pays for the car. At that point i ask them if they would like their check back, or would like us to go ahead and use it for down payment. When leaving a deposit always ask if its refundable and make sure they dont cash it!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Update

So I called my dealer last night and left a msg letting him know I found my own car and would be withdrawling my deposit if he could not trade. He called me back 5 minutes later to tell me the arrival date of my car had been switched to this wednesday - as opposed to 2 weeks from now. I told him I'd give him a chance but I would be pissed if not here as promised.

He may just trade with the guy at the other dealership (if it's still there) and personally, i don't care. He claims this is the one that was originally coming in from Japan, so I guess only time we'll tell. Either way, I should be getting it this week, so for me...

Old 03-31-2007, 12:09 PM
It is funny how fast dealers move when you tell them you are taking your money elsewhere.

heheheh

Quick Reply: Can I Get My Deposit Back?