General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How do you remove the spare tire cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Sue
How do you remove the spare tire cover?

I am new here and am hoping someone can help me. We had some toilet bowl cleaner leak onto the spare tire cover of our 2011 Fit Sport, and the fumes are really bad. I've read that the fumes of this particular brand of cleaner (The Works) can corrode any metal in the car, besides being bad for our lungs. It was only a small amount and only got on the spare tire cover. I want to remove the cover but cannot figure out how it is attached, there are not any obvious screws to be seen.

Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
hmmmm.

Assuming you've pulled up the cargo area floor to expose the spare tire underneath, there isn't a cover, just the tire with a center bolt and plate that holds it to the bottom of the car. Unscrew the bolt and lift out the tire (it's about 25lbs).

Unless your dealer added an extra cover I'm not familiar with. Seems unlikely. If it has a fabric cover over the spare tire there should be a zipper or something.

Unless you're talking about the cargo floor. Just lift up on it. There's an elastic band to slip over the rear seat headrest to hold it up.

Unless you're talking about the optional vinyl cargo tray. Just lift it up. (I think not, or you wouldn't be having toilet bowl cleaner issues).

Sorry if this seems condescending, but I can't imagine what you're talking about...

Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, just pull hard.

the board just pulls out. might be good to actually try it than just posting online for instructions on how.

this is like asking how do you load paper into a printer?.... uhhhh... just do it.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Sue
Gee thanks Kenchan,

Gosh, what a great idea, but you know, I had already tried to "just pull hard", and encountered resistance. After reading all the posts about people complaining about how flimsy that cover board is, I thought perhaps there was someone out there who had actually removed it and could tell me if the resistance was due to screws or some other cause. Being that the cover is so flimsy, I certainly did not want to tear it up by continuing to "just pull hard".

By the way, you have to pull hard on the each side by the front of the wheel wells. You see, something as easy as that information was all that I was looking for, not a snide commentary on my intelligence.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
Most important question is...

Did you have enough left to clean the bowl?

On reading my shop manual I see there are two hooks on either corner that need to be released. Sorry I do not know how to copy the diagrams.

It says to use tool from some Honda kit. I suspect it is the same type clips used else where and can just be pried up.

Use the appropriate tool from the KTC trim tool set to
avoid damage when removing components.
1. Release the hooks (A), then pull up the cargo floor (B)
and remove it.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 AM
I have nothing like that on my 2011, just a slight pull on the little string to lift the cover and there it is???? What else is there???

Old 07-29-2011, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bumper
I have nothing like that on my 2011, just a slight pull on the little string to lift the cover and there it is???? What else is there???
Well that piece is hinged at the back right? You wanted to get it out no? If so you need to undo the clips under the piece that it is hinged on. THen it comes out in one piece.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
I know I'm not the only one that changed a flat on the Fit... or am I?

Once you lift the main cover up, there's a strip that is clipped into the car. There are two or three clips, just plain snap clips, pop in or pop out, that's it. You can try hitting it from the underside to pop it out.

No screws, no tool needed. Nothing complicated. As flimsy as everyone makes the cover out to be, the clips will give way first, as they should.

That whole thing is suppose to come out when you change a flat, otherwise, there won't be enough room to lay the (flat) full size tire down.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Goobers
I know I'm not the only one that changed a flat on the Fit... or am I?

Once you lift the main cover up, there's a strip that is clipped into the car. There are two or three clips, just plain snap clips, pop in or pop out, that's it. You can try hitting it from the underside to pop it out.

No screws, no tool needed. Nothing complicated. As flimsy as everyone makes the cover out to be, the clips will give way first, as they should.

That whole thing is suppose to come out when you change a flat, otherwise, there won't be enough room to lay the (flat) full size tire down.
Goobers--

You are absolutely correct. Hitting the cover from the underside causes the entire thing to pop out where it can be detached from the vehicle if necessary. There are exactly 2 clips, one on each side.

I had the same issue as Sue where I needed to remove the cover but did not want to break anything by forcing it. Your post provided the info that allowed me to do just that.

--Thanks a bunch.