General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Any Fit Parents?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:17 AM
I love the Fit, and it's great for my boys also. Today, we went swimming and I just lifted the rear seats and had them climb in to change. They could both stand-up completely, and had plenty of room to change, it was sweet.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit_4_a_king
I traded in my Element for a Fit, I have a two year old daughter and she likes her new car. I figured if families in other countries use a Fit for their main family car, why shouldn't we?

I notice you had put the baby seat on the right side. Isn't it better for it to be on the left side? I would imagine, since most of the time, it is those who turn left that gets hit from people trying to run a red light. Usually turning right you have a better visual of oncoming traffic from your left and those accidents occur less often. Just my logic - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
Very good point- I never thought of that. Maybe I should even put the baby seat in the middle for the best safety?

Old 07-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Red face

Originally Posted by columbusfit
My Fit story: I drove a '84 Civic hatchback for many years and I LOVED it, especially the hatchback part. After my Saturn was viciously totaled by a teenager, I intended on buying a new Honda Civic sedan. The Honda salesguy showed us the only Fit on the lot and I had to have it.

Okay, I know that I am not Fit's typical demographic. For one thing, I am old. Late, late thirties old. Also, I have two school-age kids that I drive around. I may be a suburban mom, but I refuse to drive a *bleep*ing minivan.

I love my new Fit quite a lot. So far, all the junk that goes with kids seem to pack in nicely. The kids aren't embarassed to be seen with the car, anyway.

Anyone else carting kids around? Kudos? Problems?

columbusfit

2007 Storm Silver MT Fit
Ah, so nice to know 30 is old, makes 58,what, ancient? Don't transport my kids, but both my grand kids to socccer in my BOM FIT, then I transport people to Tampa International Airport as a business. Love the FIT for it's MPG and utility

Old 07-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Have a 9.5 month old baby. Still uses a capsule not a child seat yet. I love the fact that there are child mounts in all 3 rear seating positions. The Mazda 3 (at least the version sold in Australia) doesn't allow mounting the seat in the centre / safest position. In a lot of cars the extra child seat straps tether to the floor of the boot eating space but the Jazz / Fit mounts to the roof.

Unlike my next door neighbour I don't see the need of a 4 tonne 4WD / SUV to haul around a newborn baby. 35L of fuel every week vs 150L. At almost $1.50 a litre thats $52.50 a week vs $225.00 a week in fuel.

Last edited by vividjazz; 07-02-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
And the car seat matches beautifully! When my daughter was born, my jazzy Camaro with the short back seat had to go. I replaced it with a Civic wagon, which I sorely missed (loved it more than the Accord wagon that replaced it) -- until the Fit. Love this little/big car.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys, for me the Fit is RETRO. I had a 1976 honda Civic wagon and LOVED it. Used it to haul sheet rock to refurbish my first house. Traveled across the country with my wife when we were first married. Commuted from Belton Tx down to San Marcos to teach at (then) SW Texas State -- 90 miles each way and got 30 mi/gallon+. In the FIT I will relive the past with the safety and technology of the present (when it comes next month).

Old 07-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
31 year old with 2 kids. 9 and 3. We love our fit. No problems fitting me, mom and the kids. ever

Old 07-02-2006, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HaulSmall
It's nice to see that Recaro makes a child seat for the Fit. Has anyone seen one available from Spoon or Mugen?
Its not made for the fit. its jus a baby seat made by recaro

Old 07-02-2006, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit_4_a_king
Very good point- I never thought of that. Maybe I should even put the baby seat in the middle for the best safety?
We always put ours in the middle. If you have to put another person in the back, or maybe drop a back seat that might be a problem, but center is best, especially for us. We had slightly older car with no 3 point center seatbelt. I could put my weight on the seat and cinch that belt TIGHT! Where ever you put it, just make sure it is installed correctly and won't slide around.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by peterc10
Interesting read. The demography for Fit (or Jazz as we call it) sales in the UK is entirely different to the US. It is NOT seen as a young people's car - very much middle aged and older. Often couples whose kids have left home and don't need a big family car anymore. Or a second practical car (that what we got it for). Also for people looking for rock solid reliability (Honda have a good reputation for that over here)

So I can beat the lot of you so far - late 50s. Suspect both my kids are older than many of the people who buy Fits in the US.

Interesting that Honda have clearly very different strategies in mind when selling the same (or similar) car in different markets.
Good to hear from the UK! It's thanks to all of you test driving the Jazz for a few years that we had good information to go on by the time the Fit crossed the ocean. OK, I confess to being 50-something, too. I have a college age daughter who loves the Fit and didn't care for my old Honda Accord wagon. This is my 3rd Honda ('86 Civic wagon before the Accord). Before I had the Hondas, I was in love with my Chevy Camaro (and I ditched it when my daughter was born -- and frankly with only 80,000 miles on it, it was already having mechanical problems). The Fit lets me relive those quick starts from the light days, while still being practical and safe. What Boomer wants to age gracefully!!? Several of my co-workers, all varied in age and automotive needs, are interested in the Fit as their next car. A couple of them have big vehicles and realize that maybe it won't be painful to downsize. No wonder Honda doesn't have to advertise the Fit to our generation. We're doing it for them!

Old 07-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I’m 31 year young dad with three little kids, 5, 3 & 2. Not enough room for 3 booster seats in the Fit, but my wife’s Odyssey can handle it, and the mess!

Old 07-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by columbusfit
My Fit story: I drove a '84 Civic hatchback for many years and I LOVED it, especially the hatchback part. After my Saturn was viciously totaled by a teenager, I intended on buying a new Honda Civic sedan. The Honda salesguy showed us the only Fit on the lot and I had to have it.

Okay, I know that I am not Fit's typical demographic. For one thing, I am old. Late, late thirties old. Also, I have two school-age kids that I drive around. I may be a suburban mom, but I refuse to drive a *bleep*ing minivan.

I love my new Fit quite a lot. So far, all the junk that goes with kids seem to pack in nicely. The kids aren't embarassed to be seen with the car, anyway.

Anyone else carting kids around? Kudos? Problems?

columbusfit

2007 Storm Silver MT Fit

I am a 40 year old with an 11 year old son (also in Columbus). We have tons of room!! Perfect for child and two fellow little leaguers, as well as several chairs and bat bags. Coming from a '95 Mazda MX-6, I'm in heaven.

Out of curiousity, you weren't turning onto Broad Street from 71N this morning?? I passed a woman in another Storm Silver Fit. I was in a Storm Silver heading east on Broad. Big Hello either way.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
My wife and I are trying for a little one right now. My 97 Acura CL was not going to be a good option for a child seat in the back, and with my 90mi roundtrip commute everyday a newer car was in order. The Fit fit the needs we had perfectly. Room for stuff, good commuter, safe.

Honda missed its mark with the Element for a target audience. I have seen more of them being pulled behind Class A RV's then being driven by a 20 something with a surf board. The Fit seems to meet the market Honda wanted to hit, the above mentioned 20 somethings, and is finding a strong pull in all demographics. Sorry for the tangent