General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New guy considering a fit.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:19 PM
New guy considering a fit.

Hi Guys,

I currently drive a 2000 vw golf tdi and a looking to get a new car. Getting another tdi is out of the questions because i'm looking at about 25 grand out the door so I've decided most likely to go with the fit for its frugality and utility and honda reliability. After the test drive I got a quote for $17,630 + t,t,t for the sport so about 18 grand out the door. I'm specifically looking for a white manual transmission sport and according to the manager, only 1 in florida and it's somewhere north (i'm in miami). He told me that due to the tsunami theres a backlog in cars and a severe backlog in parts for hondas and toyotas so it's a good idea to wait till about september to see whats going on for the 2011's and 2012's which might be backordered as well.

Overall I liked the car in the test drive, felt quick and nimble, quiet and yet powerful. they only had the base to test drive. felt pretty spacious. I also played with the 2012 civic which is a wider car but the fit has more headroom. The civic would be more comfortable with 5 short people and the fit would work better with 4 tall men. I'm still going to test drive a toyota corolla to compare interior quality and ride comfort but I'm pretty sure it will be the fit.

my current vw almost has 200,000 miles on it and hopefully if I can get those miles out of a fit I'll be a happy pooper.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
The problem is, the TDI and many other cars, have more power than the Fit, and some folks thought they could get used to it... but ended up selling their Fit after a year or so. You can easily lose that price difference if you end up selling/trading your Fit later on (assuming dealer inventory returns to normal).

I'm used to low powered cars, my previous DD, was a 92 HP 1997 Mitsu Mirage (aka Lancer). Pretty hilarious trying to get up the ramp from 8 to 805 in San Diego, from a dead stop. ROARRRRRRR goes the engine... while a bicyclist actually passes me by!

I'm not saying the Fit is slow, I like its pep... I'm just less enthusiastic about folks that buy the Fit saying they'll get used to it, and then getting rid of the car complaining all the way. :|

Old 07-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Well my tdi has 90 hp and the fit did not seem slower. I'm not to concerned with power but more so with mpgs.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
My 2 cents

TDI would get much better MPG compared to the FIT. The FIT is only good when you drive 90% of highway mileage. On the other hand, when you are driving on the city, your MPG meter will decrease dramatically. I own a 2010 FIT AUTO with excellent care and drive like an old guy. It achieves between 30-33MPG with mix driving condition. My coworker bought a new TDI can achieve high 30 or even 40 MPG on city and 50 on highway. With the power, high MPG and TDI engine, it seems much better than the FIT even paying an over $6K. Also, it is a German car. The handling should be much better than our FIT. But you still get your money back if you sell the car down the road, the money is just an upfront cost. Just my 2 cents!

Today, I sold my Si and i have been upsad because I don't own a manual car anymore and I miss the fun with my Si. The FIT is just too slow going up the hill. Although I am not looking for high performance or fast car anymore, I still want to have a manual car. I might end up going to wait for the 2012 Fit Manual release and we'll see! What would you choose if you are me?

Last edited by be12nard; 07-23-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Today I put gas in my car and drove over an hour on the highway and averaged 38 mpg. It is my best mileage yet in the Fit but it was all highway miles. Honestly, The Fit is finally getting decent mileage now that it is over 20 thousand miles. It never got this mileage last summer when it was new!

Originally Posted by be12nard
TDI would get much better MPG compared to the FIT. The FIT is only good when you drive 90% of highway mileage. On the other hand, when you are driving on the city, your MPG meter will decrease dramatically. I own a 2010 FIT AUTO with excellent care and drive like an old guy. It achieves between 30-33MPG with mix driving condition. My coworker bought a new TDI can achieve high 30 or even 40 MPG on city and 50 on highway. With the power, high MPG and TDI engine, it seems much better than the FIT even paying an over $6K. Also, it is a German car. The handling should be much better than our FIT. But you still get your money back if you sell the car down the road, the money is just an upfront cost. Just my 2 cents!

Today, I sold my Si and i have been upsad because I don't own a manual car anymore and I miss the fun with my Si. The FIT is just too slow going up the hill. Although I am not looking for high performance or fast car anymore, I still want to have a manual car. I might end up going to wait for the 2012 Fit Manual release and we'll see! What would you choose if you are me?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Mileage really depends on the speeds.

30 MPH local will beat out 80 MPH highway.

50 with a lot of stops will lose to 65.

I got 40 MPG, going up and down mountains around 50 MPH.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Mileage really depends on the speeds.

30 MPH local will beat out 80 MPH highway.

50 with a lot of stops will lose to 65.

I got 40 MPG, going up and down mountains around 50 MPH.
If you are going a lot of down hill, yes you probably get better mpg. City speed is very normal.. avoid braking before the light... neutral before approaching the light. 55 MPH on freeway and never go above... you get my point!

Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
If you are going a lot of down hill, yes you probably get better mpg. City speed is very normal.. avoid braking before the light... neutral before approaching the light. 55 MPH on freeway and never go above... you get my point!
Well, I had to go UP the hill too. I got a little better when i was doing almost all down hill, but I was braking a lot for the switchbacks and generally keeping my speeds slow (never encountered so many switchbacks before in my life.

In Chicago area, I pulled off 37 MPG doing half the mileage for short deliveries and the rest was mixed high speed highway and local/rural roads. Not bad, considering I had a lifetime average of 30 MPG until then.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Just yesterday, I had 4 adults, 2 coolers, the dog and other items and we went to a waterfall and on the way there it was nothing but steep hills winding up the mountain. Granted my Fit was struggling a little with all the weight so when I needed to get up to speed, I just dropped her into S and used the paddles to shift and she did just fine.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by felixmizioznikov
I'm still going to test drive a toyota corolla to compare interior quality and ride comfort but I'm pretty sure it will be the fit.
I hate to knock other cars, and I'm sure Toyota makes quality cars. When I bought my first Fit in 2008 I also test drove the Toyota Yaris. I seriously couldn't believe how "junky" the Yaris felt compared to the Fit. The 2 cars were a world of difference apart.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I looked at the Versa (Nissan) and Yaris before I got my Fit. I just found that the Fit handled better and seem to have a lot more bang for the money they wanted for the other two. It has been 4 years since I got my Fit and it drives better today than when I first got it. I know about waiting for a Fit because it took 3 months for my car to get here and then it wasn't the right color. The MR was sold but they could not get their loan and it came up for sell. Glad I got it because I love this color. If I decided to purchase a new Fit it would be TW in the full Mugen body kit and Mugen rims - Seibon CF hood and some other CF goodies.

Last edited by Cat; 07-24-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
The problem is, the TDI and many other cars, have more power than the Fit, and some folks thought they could get used to it...
I'm one of those folks. I thought the GD felt peppy enough and the handling and MPG would offset the "lack of power." So OP I would consider this above all other factors IMO.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM
dko
do not drop into neutral when coming to a stop, engine brake in 2nd or third, then shift to neutral just before the car stalls. if you're in neutral the engine is burning fuel trying to idle. if you're decelerating in gear with zero throttle it does not inject any fuel at all.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM
and today was the day I bought my new fit and I love it. Originally I was only able to find the blue raspberry one in sport manual but today this one popped up out of no where.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Looks awesome. Congrats!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Past 5 fill ups I've averaged 31 mpg, and that is with 100% city driving. Surely beats my old cars 18mpg.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
felix, that looks great!!! Is that the Polished Metal Metalic?

I hadn't seen this post, but you will LOVE the Fit. We had a 2000 Jetta tdi and the Fit is a much better car. With the VW I got sick of the poor quality. The peeling interior paint, plastic window parts that caused each window to eventually go crashing into the doors at speed, the injector pump replacement, injector failure, etc. Ours was traded in when it was diagnosed that the turbo was on it's way out. The tdi's get phenomenal mileage, but in my case it came at a cost higher than the fuel savings.

Our Fit is 4 years old and hasn't seen the dealer since we pulled away in our new car. The Jetta, on the other hand, was traded in before we had it 4 years. Maybe you bought yours used and the original owner went through all of the repairs before you...not sure, but for us the tdi was not a good car.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
felix, that looks great!!! Is that the Polished Metal Metalic?

I hadn't seen this post, but you will LOVE the Fit. We had a 2000 Jetta tdi and the Fit is a much better car. With the VW I got sick of the poor quality. The peeling interior paint, plastic window parts that caused each window to eventually go crashing into the doors at speed, the injector pump replacement, injector failure, etc. Ours was traded in when it was diagnosed that the turbo was on it's way out. The tdi's get phenomenal mileage, but in my case it came at a cost higher than the fuel savings.

Our Fit is 4 years old and hasn't seen the dealer since we pulled away in our new car. The Jetta, on the other hand, was traded in before we had it 4 years. Maybe you bought yours used and the original owner went through all of the repairs before you...not sure, but for us the tdi was not a good car.
yeah I bought my golf tdi with about 89,000 miles on it. I'm guessing the original owner went through the initial wave of problems and I was good till about 150,000 miles when I noticed the fuel savings were offset by the electronics, windows, crackling vac lines, peeling paint inside and out, expensive dealer labor fees and complicated DIY procedures.
this is the dark gray charcoal and the dealer gave me free oil change for life. Actually there are several honda dlrs near me that offer free oil changes on all hondas weather you buy from them or not. Tomorrow I'm going to give some guys at work the grand tour.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Like I said...you are going to love it! People that haven't owned and lived with a tdi don't understand the difference. Yes, the torque is very nice and allows effortless acceleration on the highway, but around town the Fit would clean its clock. I mean we're talking that it would not even be close. The Fit is that much quicker.

The VW's are very stable and solid feeling, but when pushed to the limit, the Fit is a much better handling car. Wait till you have a chance to play around in a parking lot or take some sharp turns. It's like using a razor where the VW's are like using a dull butter knife.

I have to say, in the VW's defense, it was quieter, more comfortable, and got much better mileage. Overall, a much better highway vehicle than the Fit. Just not near as reliable or Fun.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
I'm one of those folks. I thought the GD felt peppy enough and the handling and MPG would offset the "lack of power." So OP I would consider this above all other factors IMO.
I loved my Fit to much to just let it go because it lacked a little power. I just fixed the problem of "lack of power" Power is not every thing, especially for a street car. On the street you can only go as fast as the posted speed limit and as the sang goes its funner to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow.

Congrats on the new Fit felixmizioznikov

Last edited by MNfit; 01-25-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: New guy considering a fit.