General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Getting spoiled with the Fit steering.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Getting spoiled with the Fit steering.

I sometimes have to move a few cars out of the way to get my Fit out of the garage. I think I'm getting spoiled by the ease of turning the steering wheel in the Fit. Other cars are starting to seem like they have no power steering compared to the Fit. Chalk up another plus in the win column for the Fit...

Old 06-30-2006, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
steering

Too much of a good thing can be bad too...

In my sport Fit, I had to suddenly turn the steering wheel right (armadillo crossing the road!) and correct to the left.All of it done as a reflex as one does under the circumstances.

The speed of response was frightening and I didn't even come close to its limits I am sure.

try it at home, give it a good old pull to the side and you will see what I mean.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
It has a short wheelbase. It's not that impressive.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
This is one thing I'll look forward to when I get my fit, especially since my del sol doesn't have power steering.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:14 AM
I hear ya. My 94 civic HB has no power steering. Got huge pipes from trying to negotiate busy parking lots.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
One downside of the Fit: makes my Dakota feel like a moving van.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
As I've said before, people driving big gas guzzlers forget what a nimble response is like. I have to slow down and wait for the big vehicles to negotiate a sharp turn near my home. I tried a sharp veer on the Fit, and was pleased that it righted itself with a quick pull in the other direction. I did that on an Aveo and had a close call with a wall. Maneuvering, parking, all the things that used to be cumbersome for my Honda wagon, are a breeze in the Fit. My Civic wagon had rack & pinion steering. Small car and usually not a problem, except for parallel parking.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:06 AM
I avoided a wreck yesterday thanks to the Fit's quick response. I was going through a green light on an access road which intersects with a road going under the freeway overpass. This big semi truck was making a U-turn under the bridge and was supposed to stop at the yield sign but either didn't look or didn't see me and just pulled out. It would have surely been ugly but luckily nobody was next to me so I had to pull a quick 2-lane change to avoid him. Of course I laid on the horn, what an ass, he could have killed me.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I actualy take the handling for granted. heck, i don't even know how to judge handling.

Anyway my power steering story. Today my bro's civic DX was in the way, so i had to move it. it either has no power steering or old EPS, anyway it was rough to move the wheel. i think the power steering of the fit psoiled me. i've drivin my dad's truck which also doesn't have EPS and when driving my bro's civic, i don't remmber steering ever feeling that difficult.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I like going around freeway on-ramps and off ramps with the handling. It's great. Depending on the circumference and curve i can go around exit loops at 50-55 mph.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I have driven my 1996 Ford Ranger XLT for 11 years. First time I pulled up to the parking spot on the street (we have no curbs) I almost parked in the yard! I was use to pulling it hard and very little turn - Took a few days but got very used and very spoiled to the quick handling and nibble spirit of the Fit

Cat :x

Old 07-04-2007, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Daily I drive a Toyota Yaris Verso and this car has powersteering but is much weaker than the Jazz. But there are other cars out there that have even lighter handling on the wheel. Try a Citroen C3 or something similar from Citroen. My uncel have an old Citroen CX and I've tried it. On that car you could use only one finger on the wheel and still steer it at any speed.

The Yaris is pretty heavy to manoeuvre in slow speed or when standing still. But the Jazz is easy to manoeuvre wichever speed.

Other cars are easy to manoeuvre in slow speed but the servo tightens up in higher speeds. It maybe is like that on the Jazz/Fit too but I dont know.

Another element is the "feeling" you got of the road surface trough the steering wheel. It is important, but it must not be to much and not to little either. Here I think both the Jazz and Yaris is alomst identical.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:53 PM
NMG
Suffice to say that I understand completely, especially after I take my F-150 4x4 for a spin

Old 07-06-2007, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
feels like im driving a monster truck when i drive the durango

Old 07-06-2007, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bobbied
I think I'm getting spoiled by the ease of turning the steering wheel in the Fit. Other cars are starting to seem like they have no power steering compared to the Fit. Chalk up another plus in the win column for the Fit...

I know what you mean! My wife's 98 Honda Civic's power steering feels so sloppy and sluggish. Our old 2004 Exploder was even worse.

The nimbleness of the steering is quite fun... especially near our house. I like scaring my wife by acting like I'm swerving to avoid something in the road. In reality there's nothing there... I'm just swerving to cause her to laugh.

And yes it's safe - it is in a private military neighborhood with wide roads and no one around.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 AM
i know the feeling...

i have my 85 chevy celebrity still, and compared to the fit, the celeb drives like a truck. Its funny, cuz the wheel on the celeb has some play while the fit has absolutely none. So when I get in the celeb (i only drive it on weekends, about once a month when i go home - its a show car) i have to adjust my reactions and all that.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
CR says...

Consumer Reports gave the Fit the best score in its class for the high-speed avoidance maneuver. It could zig and then zag faster than its competitors.

Avoidance maneuver speeds:
Fit 55.0 MPH
Yaris 51.5 MPH
Aveo 51.5 MPH
Versa 52.0 MPH

Looks like the Fit is about 8% better in the handling department than its competitors.

Joe

Last edited by Steeldog; 07-10-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: clarification