General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Need help choosing between Fit, Accent & Focus

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
I have 2010 Fit Sport Manual 5 speed manual. I think the Fit is a decent grocery getter.
Acceleration is adequate but the car is gutless when it's loaded with people or cargo. Good thing I mainly use the Fit for me and one passenger and one or two road bikes in the cargo area.
Gas milage is pretty good. I am getting around 38 mpg combined (measured and not by the gauge.)
AC is not as strong as the Focus or even Fiesta. I have pretty dark tint so that helps out a lot.
Road noise is always there and so is the engine roar on the freeway.

The 2012 Ford Focus was not out yet. I test drove the 2012 Focus when it first came out. Has the 6 speed power shift. I really, really like the car to the point that I am glad that the Fit has a good resalle value.
I think the Focus drives and handles much better than the Fit. At highway speed the Focus has pretty decent power.
The A/C works great even with no tint.
But... I don't think it's a good idea to buy a first year Ford product. They still have minor (but annoying) bugs that they need to work out.
There is no low APR financing special on the Ford just yet.
Personally, I am waiting a couple years... I shouldn't be upside down on the Fit...I only made a few payments on it... and the Focus will be more reliable and hopefully have a low APR finance deal.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM
I think my biggest concern about both the new Focus and the new Accent is that they are new. Hyundai has an improving but spotty record for reliability and longevity and coupled with a completely new engine I'd be very cautious. The long warranty is great but if the car is immobile when you need it that is faint consolation. I have slightly more faith in the new Focus but again I'd be more tempted another two or three years down the model cycle run.
The pre-2012 model versions of the Focus and the Accent were both very tired designs and would hold zero interest for me.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
I just purchased a 2011 Fit Sport last Tuesday. While I only looked at the Focus for about 10 minutes (price was too high), I did consider the Accent. I think it all comes down to what you're going to use the car for. I have 2 dogs and 2 kids so the Fit made the most sense. I can actually get my smaller lab's cage in the car with my adult lab no problem. I've also had a bike in the backseat with the seats folded up with no problem - you'd be hard pressed to do that with either of the other cars you're looking for.

From a fit an finish standpoint the Ford is probably the best of the 3, but does it really matter? If you're concerned about fit and finish you're probably looking at the wrong segment of cars.

From a price standpoint you just can't beat the Fit. I don't know that leather is all that important to me, but if it's important to you be ready to put up big money for a dealer to put it in. I know the Honda leather can go for around $1,300 installed. Leather is easier to clean, but I find cloth more comfortable.

If you're looking for Bluetooth in the fit I would recommend replacing the OEM face and buying an aftermarket (double din) receiver. Whether you want GPS or not you can add bluetooth on the aftermarket and have the mic installed inside the car so there is nothing sitting on your console. Of course you can always get a $100 parrot device too.

At the end of the day just depends what you'll be doing with the car. If you're constantly hauling items around - there is no better option than the Fit. If you are solo and won't have people / things in your car you can get either one of the 3 you're looking at. At the end of the day they are all good cars.

One last thing...if you plan on keeping the car for a while (5+ years) the Fit will probably have the best resale value of the 3.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Originally Posted by switters
I'm getting ready to buy a new car. Here are my criteria:

- Price (under $23k)
- Fuel economy
- Interior features/styling
- Quiet / little road noise
- Fun to drive
- Cargo space
- Reliability

I'm choosing between the 2011 Honda Fit, the 2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback and 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback.

They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Accent
Pros: 30/40 mileage, upmarket interior styling, quiet, reliable, best warranty, decent cargo space, lower resale value than Honda, cheapest of the 3
Cons: rear seats don't fold all the way down, less cargo space than Fit, no option for leather seats

Focus
Pros: most fun to drive of the three (for me, anyways), European feel, 28/38 mileage, upmarket interior, option for leather seats, decent cargo space
Cons: more expensive when configured with options, not enough legroom in back seat, rear seats don't fold all the way down, less cargo space than Fit, lower resale value than Honda

Fit
Pros: huge amount of cargo space, seats fold flat (and fold up for vertical space), reliable, high resale value, can do leather with aftermarket (Clazzio) option, good handling and peppy, cheaper than Focus
Cons: engine noise, not as quiet as Accent or Focus, no bluetooth, chintzy plastic interior

The two things that bothered me most about the fit were the louder ride (when compared with the Accent and Focus) and the cheap plastic interior.

I've been going back and forth trying to make a decision, without much luck. I thought I'd ask for some help/insight here.

If you had to choose between these three, which would you choose?