General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Miss-Shifting!!!!!! 3rd to 2nd.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Miss-Shifting!!!!!! 3rd to 2nd.....

Long story short....

I was driving on the freeway on 3rd gear going 50+ at around 4k rpm and tried going into 4th but ending up going into 2nd.... The engine over revved and I'm guessing it went way above 7k rpm... didn't even see it but I quickly pressed the clutch in right after.

My car now feels different.. the clutch feels softer and won't catch as quickly as it did before the miss shift... not really sure about the power loss because the car doesn't even have that much power to begin with.

Anyone on here ever miss shift and over revved?
I have a feeling I need to check this out asap.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
At redline, 2nd should be good for 54 mph (at least on the GE8). Not that you want to downshift and end up there, but it seems like unless you were going way over 50, it should have survived ok.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
i hit a solid 8-8500 rpm doing the same thing, noprobs what so ever, no (cel) no crazy noises, it was ok

Old 06-18-2011, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitted08
i hit a solid 8-8500 rpm doing the same thing, noprobs what so ever, no (cel) no crazy noises, it was ok
holy shit dude... hahahah

Yeah my Fit seems fine. Nothing seems wrong with it. Probably that downshift worn out my clutch a bit.. but its all good.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:39 PM
The best thing you can do to avoid this is, on the 3-4 shift, turn your hand over so your palm faces toward the passenger side of the vehicle. This way, when your elbow pulls back, you'll notice that it has a tendency to pull toward the passenger side of the car and not the driver.

Another side note, on a quick 2-3 shift, just place the heel of your palm on the knob and push. The shifter will hop over on its own and go into 3.

-Barry-

Old 06-18-2011, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JBHandJr
The best thing you can do to avoid this is, on the 3-4 shift, turn your hand over so your palm faces toward the passenger side of the vehicle. This way, when your elbow pulls back, you'll notice that it has a tendency to pull toward the passenger side of the car and not the driver.

Another side note, on a quick 2-3 shift, just place the heel of your palm on the knob and push. The shifter will hop over on its own and go into 3.

-Barry-
thanks for the tip. I've been doing what you said ever since I began driving a manual car. I don't jerk my knob into gear but I simply place it in gear.

I think I had a miss placement of my hand throwing it in 4th, as you quoted. My hand was facing towards me not the passenger side. I usually place my hand facing towards the passenger but I have no idea why I did the opposite the other day. Oh well... the cars fine. It's not going to happen a 2nd time for sure.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
I still don't get how people mis-shift to the point where they end up in the wrong gear (versus mis-shifting and grinding). I don't know if there's anything to really check. Obviously it's not good to do this, but I doubt that you've done anything to worry about. But reading this thread reminded me of this old video:

YouTube - ‪RSX Type S Misshift‬‏

Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
^^ lol that video.

yeah there's nothing to worry about. first time doing this so I think everything is in check :]

I just never thought I would mis-shift like I did that day... I guess everyone's going to do it eventually. Oh well you learn from your mistakes.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 AM
ok, i'm a bit under-educated here, but what's the worst that can come for missshifting and engine over-revving? blown tranny? bent piston rods? but in any case, i'm not sure it has anything to do with clutches right? so if you really feel that your car do not engage gears as fast after your 'little' incident... i'd say you'd be wise to have your tranny checked..

Old 06-20-2011, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
You could throw a rod, which can break through the block and essentially mean the end of your entire engine.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
You could throw a rod from overrevving that is possible.. the first and most likely things to occur would be eating all your valves when they float while potentially backing out your flywheel/flexplate bolts. You could also spin a bearing.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
holy shit at the video.

And I've almost done the 3 into 2 instead if 4th before but I always feel it right before I let the clutch out. It just feels like a downshift in your foot and you looked down and see the shifter angled at you always a little "phewww" moment.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
What makes the CRX rice?

Old 06-20-2011, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
That probably wasn't too good for your clutch... I would do a valve lash adjustment.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
Jamy
No idea dude, I don't really read youtube comments because they will make you dumber haha

I just picked that video because I've seen it before where someone on some big beefy slicks with VHT misses a shift in his FF and practically goes end-over

Some of the things people say on here make me feel that way occasionally but most of the posts here are done by Rhodes scholars in comparison.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Jamy
No idea dude, I don't really read youtube comments because they will make you dumber haha

I just picked that video because I've seen it before where someone on some big beefy slicks with VHT misses a shift in his FF and practically goes end-over

Some of the things people say on here make me feel that way occasionally but most of the posts here are done by Rhodes scholars in comparison.
Makin sure I wasn't missing something in the video. Seemed pretty normal too me. I was expecting some idiot on the interstate with that title.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kodok3ribu
ok, i'm a bit under-educated here, but what's the worst that can come for missshifting and engine over-revving? blown tranny? bent piston rods? but in any case, i'm not sure it has anything to do with clutches right? so if you really feel that your car do not engage gears as fast after your 'little' incident... i'd say you'd be wise to have your tranny checked..
No my tranny feels fine.. im pretty sure its the clutch that feels a bit burned out. It doesn't feel as though it catches quick enough like it used to. I guess with the engine speed rotating faster than the clutch speed the clutch had to deal with burn of the engine speed. Though I have nothing to worry about since this is my first time doing this.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
That probably wasn't too good for your clutch... I would do a valve lash adjustment.
Valve Lash Adjustment.. I should get it checked out just in case

btw I had my scan gauge on when it happened and by looking at its history it says that the max rpm I ever did was 6945. So 7k rpm. since the redline is 6.5k on the fit. I'm just guessing that my clutch is a bit burned out since the engine speed was spinning faster than the clutch at that moment.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
If that is accurate, then it's nothing I would worry too much about.

Quick Reply: Miss-Shifting!!!!!! 3rd to 2nd.....