General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

AEM FIC & Windows 7 issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
AEM FIC & Windows 7 issues.

Any AEM FIC-6 (30-1910) users having an issue with Windows 7?

Laptop died recently, bought another and it has a basic version of 7, now I not only don't have my .cal maps but I cannot get it to connect to the FIC.

I've tried the procedure from the AEM Forums (which are notoriously slow) and I am using version 3.04, with the FTDI CDM 20600 driver installed and the 4 hex files that come with 3.04.

Then I tried following the steps posted by an administrator here:
Windows 7 doesn't read FIC

1. Install the FTDI USB drivers provided here
2. Plug provided USB cable into your F/IC and computer
3. Right click on "Computer"
4. Select "Device Manager"
5. Expand "Ports (COM & LPT)"
6. Double click "USB Serial Port (COM#)"
7. Select the "Port Settings" tab
8. Click "Advanced"
9. Change the "COM Port Number" to a number that is below COM16.
Any thoughts from the more computer savvy among us? Any information I can share that would help diagnosis?

Edit:
Upgraded to 3.06, found a .fi6, and x3.81.hex and set the FIC to COM3 - USB

The error I get now is:
Failed to locate a functioning FIC. The problem might be the PC and FIC are not connected or- the PC has assigned a com-port above 16. Correct the problem and try again!

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 06-12-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
Oh and for anyone wondering the physical FIC install takes about 15 minutes with the boomslang harness some vacuum hose and a tee fitting.

1.) Empty glove compartment
2.) Pinch in the top of the "wings" at the back of the glove compartment
3.) Pull forward
4.) Loosen bolt and remove restraints on the harness
5.) Plug in BoomSlang Harness
6.) Party

Any screen shot requests from the curious while I wait? lol

Old 06-12-2011, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Laptop died recently, bought another and it has a basic version of 7, now I not only don't have my .cal maps but I cannot get it to connect to the FIC.
I'd have no idea about the FIC (what is that?!?)... and to be honest, I haven't dealt with com ports since... um... windows 3.11 or maybe win95, I think. It's been a while. Did you make sure you picked a com that isn't already being used? That an "interrupt" number conflicts were a common hardware issue back then. Com ports ALSO use interrupts... and some interrupts are shared, but not all devices like sharing.

But, if your laptop has another drive bay, you could yank the hard drive from the old laptop, plug it into the new and access the data.

If your new laptop doesn't have a bay, you could go out and buy something like an external enclosure... or something more simple as a "multi-drive adapter"... for example: Apricorn - DriveWire Universal Hard Drive Adapter - Metallic Red - ADW-USB-KIT . then you can plug the old drive through the USB... accessing it would be slower.

This, of course is assuming the old drive isn't encrypted or the data stored in a windows password protected section (either case makes it mostly inaccessible).

Sounds like a lot of work for some .cal maps, eh?

hum... I'm no good at troubleshooting computer related issues over the phone/forum/etc. I have to fidget with it to figure it out.

Last edited by Goobers; 06-12-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I'd have no idea about the FIC (what is that?!?)... and to be honest, I haven't dealt with com ports since... um... windows 3.11 or maybe win95, I think. It's been a while. Did you make sure you picked a com that isn't already being used? That an "interrupt" number conflicts were a common hardware issue back then. Com ports ALSO use interrupts... and some interrupts are shared, but not all devices like sharing.

But, if your laptop has another drive bay, you could yank the hard drive from the old laptop, plug it into the new and access the data.

If your new laptop doesn't have a bay, you could go out and buy something like an external enclosure... or something more simple as a "multi-drive adapter"... for example: Apricorn - DriveWire Universal Hard Drive Adapter - Metallic Red - ADW-USB-KIT . then you can plug the old drive through the USB... accessing it would be slower.

This, of course is assuming the old drive isn't encrypted or the data stored in a windows password protected section (either case makes it mostly inaccessible).

Sounds like a lot of work for some .cal maps, eh?

hum... I'm no good at troubleshooting computer related issues over the phone/forum/etc. I have to fidget with it to figure it out.
I may have to have you swing by one of these days when you have time.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Just wanted to update... for whatever reason my FIC decided to cooperate tonight and was able to connect to my Windows 7 OS on the new laptop.

Moar pics:

Cannot say enough good things about the BoomSlang harness. The Fit being an extremely easy car to work on certainly helps too.

The last time I installed the FIC I removed the glove compartment and popped the panel underneath which takes all of 2 minutes.

Then run a vacuum line to a port on the intake manifold (post-throttle if you weren't sure) and through a grommet on the firewall.

From stock to turning the key with the FIC installed took just shy of 15 minutes done in the dark with a flashlight. I keep my FIC mounted in the glove box.. for a real sleeper look. I am going to be hiding the throttle controller as well and keeping the majority of the exhaust stock save for a big cut-out when I go turbo.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:12 AM
So going from my F-Con to an AEM F/IC with boomslang harness will be easy to install?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah switching out the F-con with the FIC is is an easy install, just have a base map loaded and you are good to go