General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Fit is WAY TOO LOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by hermi_fit12
I came across this thread to vent my anger and frustration too. I own a Fit 12 since last November. My wife drives it everyday to work less than 10 mins away. Only problem is she works late shifts. Returning from work at midnight doing only 30 mph, had to change lane and there was this rock 7 inches in diameter in the middle of the road and all she could do was drive over it. The impact happened, put a hole in the oil pan, broke itself into half. Thankfully she was only few mins away from home. Drove home with the oil leak. I can share pictures if you guys are interested.

Insurance says its our fault. Collision with a non-moving object.

I like Hondas and that's why we bought this brand new one. But if in fact the clearance is too low, it is a serious issue that Honda should re think. I thought anyone running over this rock would have a similar fate, but after reading this thread, I have to agree that Fit has low clearance - seriously low clearance that can cause accidents !

Question: if anyone can answer please: what will happen to my warranty now?
to be honest you should of called a tow truck if you put a hole in the pan, if the oil empties out or goes low enough just a short distance goodbye motor. and file an accident report with the cops cause thats your proof that the town could be responsible for your damage if you choose to try and get money for repairs from city or state. BTW if you leak oil and say some else slips on it or it causes an accident you could be responsible( people are always out to get money one way or another )

Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sfar785
lol, both cars are bagged, so they'll go up to normal ride height when the bags are aired up.
But that's just the thing... it's basically saying the show car isn't the driven car.

I am, exactly what you see. It's parked or shown off, exactly how it will be driven.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
It is true that manufacturers are building cars closer to the ground and also utilizing plastic cladding to accentuate how the appearance of being low.... They have been doing it on pickups and vans since the 1990s, possibly longer... I had an 84 Volvo 760 Inter cooled Turbo that was no lower than my Fit but would bottom out in the middle due to its length... On my Fit the clearance issue is at the very front of the car at the bumper lip... A functional front lip that could be retracted would solve almost all of the clearance problem unless a person was to drop their car silly ass stupid low.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Any way to go to city council to their highway complaints department or legal department and file a complaint? It's the counties responsibility to maintain their roads and make sure they're free of any sort of obstructions. I know my uncle hit a fallen tree branch a few months ago a few days after a huge storm and it totaled his car. The insurance covered it and the city council covered the deductible.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
the fit is actually very high off the ground! But if i saw a tire on the road, i would deff go around it, or slam on my brakes, and lock up my wheels. plain and simple.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Actually I think the fit is kinda high, my other car is a Miata.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
I have owned a few cars that were lower than my Fit but had a much friendlier approach angle... The cars that are made for other than the North American market sit as low but are much less likely to scrape the front end tearing the front bumper loose from the fenders when entering a narrow driveway... It is the distance between the contact patch of the front tires and front lip that causes the problem.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 PM
just looked it up it does help with mileage as long as the aerodynamics are good

Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Just got back my Honda Fit after 2 weeks at the garage. I had a friend dolly it to the local Toyota shop instead of paying for towing to Honda service little further away. My mistake. Toyota had to reorder parts as they didn't order enough the first time, no wonder its a mystery car for them. They don't take other cars as seriously as their own brand. Proud people. So oil pan is fixed and hopefully should run fine.

They added oil and the oil life numbers didn't change to 100%. I wonder if anyone out there can help me reset this.