General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Fit is WAY TOO LOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
I think the approach angles might be compounded by where the wheels are in relation to the front of the car too and due to the curve of the bumper, which is more wedge-like than a lot of cars out there with flatter profiled front ends.

I have to say I almost wish the car was a bit lower though, too much wind gets under the car on very gusty highways and lightens it way too much.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
I hated the ride height out in Cali. There were certain business entrances where it scraped every time unless I drove cockeyed at a bizarro angle. Having to do that is poor engineering. having to slow to a crawl to avoid bumping the bottom is poor engineering. The problem isn't the car itself, but the low front bumper.

The strange part is that the driving position felt so high you forgot it was a super-low car.
The safety regulations on USDM Fits is why the bumper protrudes as far forward as it does and results in the lip becoming Damaged...It is a problem that is a product of poor styling than poor engineering I plan to get two after market lips and modifying them both the sit 2 or 3 inches higher than the stock front lip.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Ohhh man. As soon as I read the title to this thread, I knew exactly what the op was gonna get back in reply lol.
My car is 2.5inches+lower than stock and i wish it were lower lol

phhhhh "TOO LOW" lol

Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
There is something very wrong with a person the is willing to take a chance that may cause ihim extreme pain when getting out of a dropped FIT.... You definitely don't want to be driving a FIT while wearing golf shoes ... Wearing flip flops is painful enough when getting out of a golf and step on your own dick..... It's much to easy to do the same in a dropped dropped FIT

Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Ran over a stone - tore the oil pan.

I came across this thread to vent my anger and frustration too. I own a Fit 12 since last November. My wife drives it everyday to work less than 10 mins away. Only problem is she works late shifts. Returning from work at midnight doing only 30 mph, had to change lane and there was this rock 7 inches in diameter in the middle of the road and all she could do was drive over it. The impact happened, put a hole in the oil pan, broke itself into half. Thankfully she was only few mins away from home. Drove home with the oil leak. I can share pictures if you guys are interested.

Insurance says its our fault. Collision with a non-moving object.

I like Hondas and that's why we bought this brand new one. But if in fact the clearance is too low, it is a serious issue that Honda should re think. I thought anyone running over this rock would have a similar fate, but after reading this thread, I have to agree that Fit has low clearance - seriously low clearance that can cause accidents !

Question: if anyone can answer please: what will happen to my warranty now?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by hermi_fit12
Disclaimer: IANAL and things may work differently in the US.

Based on experiences in my hometown (in the Netherlands) the city is liable as they are responsible for the upkeep and cleaning of the roads.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SSMTEN
Ohhh man. As soon as I read the title to this thread, I knew exactly what the op was gonna get back in reply lol.
My car is 2.5inches+lower than stock and i wish it were lower lol

phhhhh "TOO LOW" lol
I'm reading this stuff and thinking the same thing.. I'm guessing these people are coming from SUV's and trucks.. I never had issues with my Fit before or after I lowered it. You have to know what you're driving and realize you can't clear most things anyways..

Old 04-23-2012, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
I honestly don't see how some can think the stock Fit is too low, but I guess I'm just following the stereo-type on here lol. They just don't seem any lower to me than any other sub-compact on the market. My coils are almost as low as they can go and I drive on PA roads daily = super scraped up bumper which doesn't bother me either. And potholes are absolutely horrendous around here...anyone from Pittsburgh atleast will agree to that. I believe situations like this though really come down to defensive driving skills and awareness

Old 04-23-2012, 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by tav58
I joined this forum just to vent my frustration on a Fit issue. Before I get to that let me say that I LOVE Honda vehicles. Right now I own an '06 Civic Coupe (5 Sp manual), which has been a great car. I have also owned two Accords (an '83 hatchback and an '88 sedan) in the past. I also presently own an '08 Fit Sport (my wife's car).

Yesterday we were driving to Austin, TX in the Fit on I-10 W. Some tire debris was perpendicular on the highway and we ran over it at about 65 mph. We did our best to straddle the tire but traffic was heavy making any further avoidance maneuvers quite dangerous. Well... BAM, our splash shield under the engine and both right and left inner wheel shields were shredded. We had to tie them up for the remainder of our trip and I just now pulled them off to prevent dragging while we drive the car. I checked prices and the splash shield is about $40 as well as both inner wheel housings. So... parts will be about $120 and who knows how much for installation.

The Fit is a fine, economical car. However, it really is WAY TOO LOW! Most other cars would have cleared the tire debris without incident. Further, we have scraped the bumper numerous times just going in and out of our driveway such that we must be VERY careful to roll out ever so slow.

If anyone has some ideas on how to replace the splash guard plus inner wheel housings cheaper... please let me know. (Thanks or reading this rant).
if we all remember the honda issues in the 80s and 90s they all had height issues but regardless people still loved em especially civics, speaking from experience living in pa by the turnpike i don,t care what kind of car you got those tires tear any undercarraige apart i had a 1980 malibu with 15s which raised my ride height and they scratched the hell out of my wheel well and tore out a my rubber skid plate for the radiator in front I've even seen suvs damaged by them

Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by hermi_fit12
I came across this thread to vent my anger and frustration too. I own a Fit 12 since last November. My wife drives it everyday to work less than 10 mins away. Only problem is she works late shifts. Returning from work at midnight doing only 30 mph, had to change lane and there was this rock 7 inches in diameter in the middle of the road and all she could do was drive over it. The impact happened, put a hole in the oil pan, broke itself into half. Thankfully she was only few mins away from home. Drove home with the oil leak. I can share pictures if you guys are interested.

I like Hondas and that's why we bought this brand new one. But if in fact the clearance is too low, it is a serious issue that Honda should re think. I thought anyone running over this rock would have a similar fate, but after reading this thread, I have to agree that Fit has low clearance - seriously low clearance that can cause accidents !

Question: if anyone can answer please: what will happen to my warranty now?
The Fit has quite a bit of ground clearance compared to most cars. Actually, its a monster truck. The fact that there are maybe 5-10 people, out of thousands on this forum, complaining of low clearance should be your clue.

And a 7 inch rock? That would have damaged most cars. I dont understand how it busted your oilpan though. I guess it clipped the bumper and bounced around some. Sounds like more bad luck to me than anything. Sorry to hear though. I seriously think you are one of the very few to bust a fit oil pan (and you arent even lowered lol)

Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM
The Fit isn't low compared to a lot of vehicles, it sits higher than my friends '12 Civic and it sits about the same height as other cars in it's class (Yaris, Fiesta, etc). I'm used to driving lowered vehicles and it's actually nice to drive the Fit and not have to worry about pulling into parking lots at an angle or having to creep over speedbumps.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Coming from a background of 4wd cars, the Fit seems to sit pretty low.

Thankfully I had a friend that would obsessively drop his VW's, so I knew all the tricks just to get the Fit up onto my ramps!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM
lowered VDub you say?

Name:  ff85543b.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  98.9 KB

i love this car, saw it on a local forum awhile back and have been wanting to get a GTI just to slam, although i don't like Form > Function too much or the stanced/hellaflush look but some cars CAN pull it off....sorta like this Fit:

^^^that car is the reason i bought a Fit....i just don't wanna bag mine.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sfar785
lowered VDub you say?

i love this car, saw it on a local forum awhile back and have been wanting to get a GTI just to slam, although i don't like Form > Function too much or the stanced/hellaflush look but some cars CAN pull it off....sorta like this Fit:

^^^that car is the reason i bought a Fit....i just don't wanna bag mine.
Um... na, as bias as I am about the Fit... I still don't like that look.

And from a "function" point of view... it sends chills up and down my spine as I could never drive that car more than 5 mph without it causing all kinds of damage. I like driving ABOVE the speed limit (even if it's only 5 over).

Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM
lol, both cars are bagged, so they'll go up to normal ride height when the bags are aired up.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 PM
I also have a 12 Fit sport and agree it is a little low.It's not that low compared to a lowered Fit but with the stock wheels it is low enough to cause some clearance problems.

I have to angle a lot here in L.A. and I'm stock height.I get in a hurry sometimes and scrape pulling out of some driveways but It's my fault.

sorry about your oil pan and hope you get it fixed soon and get back to enjoying your Fit.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
If you think a fit is low, the stock ride height on my 91 CRX Si I had would probably make you cringe.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 PM
I think a lot of the 'scraped my bumper' issues are because the fit sport has a long bumper that extends out further than people are used to, not that its lower per se.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SSMTEN
I think a lot of the 'scraped my bumper' issues are because the fit sport has a long bumper that extends out further than people are used to, not that its lower per se.
You are right about the bumper location... In the first post on forums where the Fit was being discussed in the Spring of 2006 the lower body cladding and heavy 15" wheels were discussed more than about anything else...

Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 AM
btw I was driving around yesterday and i was actually looking at how low all cars were and to be honest, almost every car i saw was low from nissan to ford they all had low stances from the road I guess its a new trend. But it is proven you get less drag the lower you are so i guess all car companies are doing it to help mileage(just my opinion I'm gonna google it this weekend to see if its mentioned anywhere for proof)

Quick Reply: The Fit is WAY TOO LOW!!!