General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Fit is WAY TOO LOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by buckyfit
Mike,

Have you driven on California roads? They're terrible! I'm from Wisconsin and now living in northern California. I can personally assure you that Wisconsin roads are in wayyyy better condition than California. I think it's because Wisconsin (and presumably other cold weather states) actually budget for road repairs. Whereas California apparently doesn't.
Where are you from in WI? That will determine my response.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
If you are recommending 195/50/16 to the OP... then you're NOT giving the car any USEFUL amount of clearance. The diameter only changes about 1/4" from stock, which means, the car raises up half that, 1/8".

You can get more than 1/8" change just by increasing the pressure in the tires.

This implies to me, you've been mistaken about "upping" the wheel diameter to get clearance.
I got one inch of clearance using 195/50-16 from 195/55-15 on my EJ8 and it was lowered. If I was mistaken, then I wouldn't recommend anyone this tire size.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Lame thread is lame.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Neebs
I got one inch of clearance using 195/50-16 from 195/55-15 on my EJ8 and it was lowered. If I was mistaken, then I wouldn't recommend anyone this tire size.
I'd suggest you go re-measure that. Of course, make sure the tires are PROPERLY inflated too.

Originally Posted by blackndecker
Lame thread is lame.
yup... two arguments going on... this thread is useless now.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Where are you from in WI? That will determine my response.
I'm from suburbs of Milwaukee, also spent time in Madison.

Check out this report by a national transportation research group. 8 of the top 20 worst cities are in California. Only a couple are in cold weather states. Which supports my theory that cold weather states budget for road repairs, whereas warm weather states don't.
http://www.tripnet.org/national/Urba..._PR_092210.pdf

Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I'd suggest you go re-measure that. Of course, make sure the tires are PROPERLY inflated too.

yup... two arguments going on... this thread is useless now.

facepalm.

nevertheless, here's a useful tire size tool: Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I still say that the OP should replace the plastic splash guards by himself.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
facepalm.

nevertheless, here's a useful tire size tool: Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I still say that the OP should replace the plastic splash guards by himself.
There was another one, I saw, that did tell you about clearances (not car height), but from struts or fenders... without the need to subscribe. Or was it this site and they changed it recently?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Tore off one of my splash guards with only me in the car. Those are commin off today! And I would believe that cali have the worst roads

Old 06-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i lol'ed at thread. if you see an allegator on the road and can't avoid it it's not your fault nor the Fit's fault. $120 and just replace it yourself. shouldn't be that hard to do. make sure you have enough tabs too as you may have lost a couple during the incident.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i lol'ed at thread.
As did I. Found this one quite amusing actually.

I'm pretty sure the car is the same height now as it was when you purchased it. This is the car you chose to best fit your needs and/or desires. You then chose to take the car on the road (as most sensible human beings do). There are going to be accidents: debris, rocks, bugs, animals, pedestrians... It just happens. It's not because the car is "too low", it's because it's a car.

So rather than complain about the Fit being too low, blame the debris for being too high and move on.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member

Mike if this is your winter beater you are my hero.

Also why would anyone put themselves in a position on any highway to be boxed in (especially on I-10)?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 AM
leave them off. Cheaper.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM
dko
Your son also needs to learn how to drive.

You people are ridiculous, be leery of a styrofoam cup? You serious? I daily drove this (picture below) in the winter in WI aka snow, lots of it:

Also, my grandparents drive a GE in WI. They've never complained about the ride height. Hmm seems like you're just doing it wrong.

+1. i drove a '96 maxima with a 2½" drop for seven years in chicago winters. the fit has more than ample ground clearance. one of the basic rules of driving is that if you are driving next to someone on either side you are f*cking up. unless you're in bumper to bumper traffic leave yourself room to maneuver. and even then leave yourself enough room to change lanes if space opens up.

sorry if it's harsh, but you can't blame a car for not doing what it wasn't meant to do. the fit is a particularly nice econo car, it's not a lifted dually.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my Fit for about a year now, I drive it in the suburbs, in the city, on country roads. I've driven the car to 4 or 5 states and it's sitting at 12,000 miles right now. I've scraped the underside of the bumper one time, very minorly. The car is not too low, you just can't drive a small car like you drive an SUV.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, my wife drove it into a tire stop. lots of scratches. hahahha. i dont care, i'll fix it later.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
The USDM front bumper is the biggest part of the problem.. It gets to inclines much sooner than the front tires do than the Fits sold elsewhere so the front lip is bound to get torn to hell... My Austin Healeys sat lower than a Fit but didn't have plastic styling gimmickry suspended to the lower part of the outer body panels to be torn off or otherwise damaged.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dko
+1. i drove a '96 maxima with a 2½" drop for seven years in chicago winters. the fit has more than ample ground clearance. one of the basic rules of driving is that if you are driving next to someone on either side you are f*cking up. unless you're in bumper to bumper traffic leave yourself room to maneuver. and even then leave yourself enough room to change lanes if space opens up.

sorry if it's harsh, but you can't blame a car for not doing what it wasn't meant to do. the fit is a particularly nice econo car, it's not a lifted dually.
I agree, I can't stand when anyone is near me on the highway when its so free and clear. I go out of my way to make room... only for some nitwit to go out of their way to box me in or act like some sort of moving road block.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Clearance '11 sport vs base

Does anyone have the clearance for an '11 Fit sport with 16" and the clearance for the base with 15" wheels?
Thanks.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 PM
one of the reasons i like driving the fit is it handles well STOCK increasing the ride height will turn it into a boat

Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I hated the ride height out in Cali. There were certain business entrances where it scraped every time unless I drove cockeyed at a bizarro angle. Having to do that is poor engineering. having to slow to a crawl to avoid bumping the bottom is poor engineering. The problem isn't the car itself, but the low front bumper.

The strange part is that the driving position felt so high you forgot it was a super-low car.

Quick Reply: The Fit is WAY TOO LOW!!!