General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Fit is WAY TOO LOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
meh my car is lowered and I have very little problems getting in and out of my drive way, if I do scrap the bumper...well who cares? As for the debre about the best you can do is try to avoid it, im sure any normal family car would not have cleared it.

This is how I drove my car all winter long, I never lifted it up and other then plowing snow I had no issues getting around.

for fun here is the under side of my bumper...like I said I dont really care

Last edited by MNfit; 06-05-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Old 06-05-2011, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Since there seems to be a large audience of Fit owners who enjoy lowering their Fits, even more than they are already stock...you're going to get some flak when saying the Fit is way too low.

Being in my Mid-Forties...I tend to agree with you. But you take the good with the bad. There are advantages to having a vehicle with a lower ground clearance as well as disadvantages.

This sounds like no fun...but part of the reason I purchased The Fit was the fact that it is low to the ground. I have a mother who is unfortunately "pretty much" wheelchair bound. She can stand and pivot and take a few steps. The Fit, being low is a great vehicle for transporting her. She can get into it..because she can lower herself into it. Any other vehicle? I don't think she could get UP into it...

Anyway...sucks about the damage, and I agree that The Fit is a low ground clearance vehicle. BUT you just have to know the strengths and weaknesses of the vehicle you are driving. What happened to you is more or less just an accident. Unfortunate and a peripheral symptom of the reality of the vehicle you are driving but nothing more or less.

Just like those that choose to lower their Fits...I suppose you could choose to Lift yours...however this is a task, I wouldn't personally take on.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:39 PM
ha ha the fit is the tallest vehicle I have ever owned.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Wink

just imagine if your livin here in cali we have the worst roads out here so if you ever come to cali make sure you rent a vehicle cuz obviously you not now how to drive

Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sr.sedan
just imagine if your livin here in cali we have the worst roads out here so if you ever come to cali make sure you rent a vehicle cuz obviously you not now how to drive
You're insane if you think California has the worst roads. Go somewhere with four seasons and see what we deal with every day. Your mind will be blown.

Follow that up with a trip to a third world country, your mind will be further blown.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Talking

today i was on my way to wekfest there where a matress in the middle of the highway, and not just that you would have to be livin here in cali to experience the roads

Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sr.sedan
today i was on my way to wekfest there where a matress in the middle of the highway, and not just that you would have to be livin here in cali to experience the roads
I have lived in Cali. YOU need to experience roads OTHER than Cali.

The only thing wrong about California roads are the idiot drivers that don't understand they need to slow down when coming to a curve... or if it's just started raining. It boggles my mind, the moment it starts raining, I see BMWs and Mercedes in ditches (and a Civic that sent itself ass up a hill).

Old 06-05-2011, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
I was born and raised in socal and thought the roads were bad. Then I moved to Colorado and realized just what bad roads were.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stevens24
I was born and raised in socal and thought the roads were bad. Then I moved to Colorado and realized just what bad roads were.
Don't know where you live in Colorado, but the roads here are great compared to Pennsylvania & parts of Washington DC--there are almost no pot holes on any of the roads here. Winter does its number on some of the roads, but there are really not many holes in the road

Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 AM
sell the fit and buy a hummer if ride height if your issue

Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Fits are a tad low by default, and that is why it has better handling than most of competitors in the price range. if you can't even handle a Fit, you're definitely can't handle anything that goes faster than it. And seriously, stock Fits aren't 'THAT' fast? Learn how to adapt your drving style to the car you're driving. You can't expect to drive a small hatchback such as the Fit the same way you would a BMW X5?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
eh? are you talking about getting bigger overall diameter tires?

Don't need bigger wheels to do that, unless you want to keep the sidewall height the same.

Either way, you will be making the odo and speedo off.
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
eeyeah.. the idea when changing rims is to keep the overall diameter the same..

Let me make my post clear: you can put the 16" HFPs or Fit Sports wheels but you must keep the overall diameter the same, and decrease the aspect ratio to compensate the 16" wheels. Hence the plus size rule. And the general recommendation with changing wheel size/tire size is not to exceed +/- 3% tire size differential.

The speedometer is not 100% accurate to the OE wheels that it is calibrated too. Really doesn't make a difference if you put on th 16" wheels unless you care about that 1-2mph or mpg.

Originally Posted by soulfly
that actually changes your gear ratio's you realize. It also offsets your speedometer though i'm sure not nearly as drastically as i see some in the african american community who put 20" rims on a caddy who can't even turn the steering wheel more than 20 degrees
I calculated the gear ratio (automatic) of a 195-/55-15 to 195/50-16 and it came out to 1.1% difference. You tell me if that is a drastic change.

Last edited by Neebs; 06-06-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Neebs
Let me make my post clear: you can put the 16" HFPs or Fit Sports wheels but you must keep the overall diameter the same, and decrease the aspect ratio to compensate the 16" wheels. Hence the plus size rule. And the general recommendation with changing wheel size/tire size is not to exceed +/- 3% tire size differential.

The speedometer is not 100% accurate to the OE wheels that it is calibrated too. Really doesn't make a difference if you put on th 16" wheels unless you're anal about the 1-2mph or mpg.

I calculated the gear ratio (automatic) of a 195-/55-15 to 195/50-16 and it came out to 1.1% difference. You tell me if that is a drastic change.
So... if you keep the overall diameter the same... or even within +/- 3%... how are you getting more clearance?

Get the HFPs or '09-'11 Fit Sport wheels. Both are 16" and will give you an inch more of clearance.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
So... if you keep the overall diameter the same... or even within +/- 3%... how are you getting more clearance?

Are you telling me that upping one inch is not enough clearance or no clearance at all? The OP has a GD3 with 15" wheels.

Utilizing the same tire factory specification of the 15" OE wheels for 16" and changing the aspect ratio was my edit for my previous post to maintain close to factory specs. of speedometer and odometer.

Last edited by Neebs; 06-06-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Are you telling me that upping one inch is not enough clearance or no clearance at all? The OP has a GD3 with 15" wheels.

Utilizing the same tire factory specification of the 15" OE wheels for 16" and changing the aspect ratio was my edit for my previous post to maintain close to factory specs. of speedometer and odometer.
Let's see... you want the OP to use 16" wheels... with 195/55/16 tires? Basically, new wheels AND new tires. Not caring about the change in the odo/speedo/ratio.

Why not just go with 195/60/15 tires and save the cost of new wheels?

Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM
If anything the front bumper is what sits lower.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Let's see... you want the OP to use 16" wheels... with 195/55/16 tires? Basically, new wheels AND new tires. Not caring about the change in the odo/speedo/ratio.

Why not just go with 195/60/15 tires and save the cost of new wheels?

I recommend running 195/50-16. It is closer to factory specification than 195/60-15. Running 195/60-15 would run you 3.2% slower on the speedometer compared to 195/50-16 .98% (slow).

People run 195/60-15 on this site, not sure if they notice the difference? Really depends if one inch of clearance is worth the cost.

Last edited by Neebs; 06-06-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
You're insane if you think California has the worst roads. Go somewhere with four seasons and see what we deal with every day. Your mind will be blown.
Mike,

Have you driven on California roads? They're terrible! I'm from Wisconsin and now living in northern California. I can personally assure you that Wisconsin roads are in wayyyy better condition than California. I think it's because Wisconsin (and presumably other cold weather states) actually budget for road repairs. Whereas California apparently doesn't.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
I recommend running 195/50-16. It is closer to factory specification than 195/60-15. Running 195/60-15 would run you 3.2% slower on the speedometer compared to 195/50-16 .98% (slow).

People run 195/60-15 on this site, not sure if they notice the difference? Really depends if one inch of clearance is worth the cost.
If you are recommending 195/50/16 to the OP... then you're NOT giving the car any USEFUL amount of clearance. The diameter only changes about 1/4" from stock, which means, the car raises up half that, 1/8".

You can get more than 1/8" change just by increasing the pressure in the tires.

This implies to me, you've been mistaken about "upping" the wheel diameter to get clearance.

Quick Reply: The Fit is WAY TOO LOW!!!