General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Chevy rival to Fit nearly ready to hit the street

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Chevy rival to Fit nearly ready to hit the street

I can't wait to trade in my fit for something more torquey, Chevys competitor the sonic is almost here. And while a fiesta st or focus ST sound the most promising GM is making a strong move into our segment.

2012 Chevrolet Sonic First Drive

Last edited by Dougr320; 06-05-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Taillights need to go. Love that its turbo, especially for the people who love to mod cars, wonder how much power will be gained after an intake/exhaust and tune alone. Should be a fun little car.
Time for Honda to step it up.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Fairly light weight and a turbo w/ fuel economy to boot. Not bad on paper. With some tuning, this could be a really neat car.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
2012 Chevrolet Sonic

ENGINE: DOHC 16-valve 1.8-liter inline-4, 138 hp, 125 lb-ft; "TURBOCHARGED" and intercooled DOHC 16-valve 1.4-liter inline-4, 138 hp, 148 lb-ft

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed automatic with manual shifting mode, 5- or 6-speed manual

FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA city/highway driving: 27–28/36–40 mpg

VERY KEWL !!! i very -very likey

Last edited by phenoyz; 06-02-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phenoyz
2012 Chevrolet Sonic

ENGINE: DOHC 16-valve 1.8-liter inline-4, 138 hp, 125 lb-ft; "TURBOCHARGED" and intercooled DOHC 16-valve 1.4-liter inline-4, 138 hp, 148 lb-ft

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed automatic with manual shifting mode, 5- or 6-speed manual

FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA city/highway driving: 27–28/36–40 mpg

VERY KEWL !!! i very -very likey
Why is turbocharged in quotes?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
Fairly light weight and a turbo w/ fuel economy to boot. Not bad on paper. With some tuning, this could be a really neat car.
^This!^

First GM car to get me excited since the last CTS-V and ZR1 came out.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
I was intrigued, but then I clicked link and saw a picture of it.

GOOD GOD THAT IS UGLY

Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
I agree...

It does sound good on paper.

But over the years...Chevy and Hatchback have been an ugly combination. As good as it sounds on paper, the cynic in me thinks Chevy will find a way to screw it up. I'd give it a chance, I'm curious, but it's going to be a -show me- deal....

Old 06-02-2011, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like a daewoo. Just give the the turbo and I'll be happy.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Rival - Yes
Equal - No

Needs 50+ cu ft cargo capacity to be considered an equal.
Also I thought I read somewhere that the Sonic was a Daewoo Korea design. I see in the link above it says "assembled" in Michigan not "Made in USA". I wonder if that is with Korean made and imported parts or if it will actually have some North America content?

_

Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Well technically, the sonic is replacing the aveo, right?

I'm not optimistic.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
Well technically, the sonic is replacing the aveo, right?

I'm not optimistic.
It is an aveo. It just a different name and engine set up from what I can tell.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:55 PM
I'll wait for the reports after they have been out in the marketplace for 1 - 2 years... then see how they hold up in terms of reliability and satisfaction.

Looks like GM was looking at the Fit and decided to make a clone with their own stamp on it.

I am happy with the Fit and will not be jumping ship.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Rival - Yes
I see in the link above it says "assembled" in Michigan not "Made in USA". I wonder if that is with Korean made and imported parts or if it will actually have some North America content?
Technically all cars have some type of foreign parts. My guess would be the engine is built somewhere else and shipped to the assembly plant like many cars are assembled. Just pure speculation on my part.

As far as the car goes, exterior is meh but it might be worth a test drive.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
^This!^

First GM car to get me excited since the last CTS-V and ZR1 came out.
Agreed. Maybe I'm getting old but from a specifications perspective, I think Chevy gets it. I think they nailed the specs on the head by turbocharging and yielding the power vs. fuel efficiency ratio this Sonic will deliver. Why the heck Honda refuses to utilize turbocharging is beyond me. I won't accept the excuse that it reduces reliability because that may have been true many years ago, but certainly not now.

If you go to Europe, all you see is small displacement, turbocharged, efficient vehicles. Why do the manufacturers insist on deploying boring, slow, hamburger boxes with wheels to the USDM? The new generation Fit is a great car, but it would be superb with a 6-speed transmission and a turbocharged/ intercooled DOHC.

Someday is all I can hope for. (stepping off my podium now ...)

Old 06-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by XJP5
Agreed. Maybe I'm getting old but from a specifications perspective, I think Chevy gets it. I think they nailed the specs on the head by turbocharging and yielding the power vs. fuel efficiency ratio this Sonic will deliver. Why the heck Honda refuses to utilize turbocharging is beyond me. I won't accept the excuse that it reduces reliability because that may have been true many years ago, but certainly not now.

If you go to Europe, all you see is small displacement, turbocharged, efficient vehicles. Why do the manufacturers insist on deploying boring, slow, hamburger boxes with wheels to the USDM? The new generation Fit is a great car, but it would be superb with a 6-speed transmission and a turbocharged/ intercooled DOHC.

Someday is all I can hope for. (stepping off my podium now ...)
I'm totally with you on this one. Honda used to be cutting edge, but vtec and vtc have become common, honda has yet to implement and for of direct injection or turbo (with the exception of the rdx). I feel like honda is behind the times. 6 speed manuals are becoming the standard even in the subcompact market. I was pretty excited for the new 2012 SI. But now that the details have been revealed I'm disapointed. An integrated exhaust manifold/head and Intake only economy Vtec is boring and dissapointing. I think the fit will be my first and last honda, and anyone who brags about honda's epic reliability can explain to me why my wifes r18 block cracked at 30k and my mothers 05 civic head gasket is done at 60k. And my fit has had paint issues since day one. Step it up honda.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Ummm, the car tested was a PREPRODUCTION PROTOTYPE.

In other words, what you see is not what you get. Chevy has a long history of sending “breathed on” cars out to the press. I seriously doubt that the weight will stay the same on production models either. We’ll see.

Speaking of that turbo engine, Motor Trend just did a comparo of small sedans. The Chevy Cruze came in way behind. Not only was that miracle turbo engine no faster than the normally aspirated competition, the MPG figures sucked. So much for the “40 MPG” bullsh*t that Chevy claims.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS - Best-Selling Compact Sedans - Motor Trend

I know the Fit is rather anemic, but it gets great gas mileage, holds a ton of stuff, handles very well and is fun to drive. If I had wanted a fast subcompact with less interior space and lower MPG, I would have bought a Mini or GTI, either of which will no doubt easily outclass the Sonic.

I’m definitely not thinking about trading in my Honda for a Chevy (Peoples Car), anytime soon.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Thing looks dated already. Euro tail lamps in 2012? Really? Front end looks like a old mirage.
they need to do something more on styling .

Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
Thing looks dated already. Euro tail lamps in 2012? Really? Front end looks like a old mirage.
they need to do something more on styling .
I thought it looked like the aveo and the scion xd had a baby.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
It's damn ugly, looks like a bastard runt child of Chevy HHR and late model Pontiac Vibe.

Quick Reply: Chevy rival to Fit nearly ready to hit the street