General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Would this be too much weight for a Fit to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Would this be too much weight for a Fit to handle?

I have a scooter and a hitch mounted rack to carry it on a vehicle. Would 275 lbs (the weight of the scooter and hitch combined) on the back end of a Fit be too much for the shocks / suspension to handle?

Here is an image of the hitch:

http://www.discountramps.com/mcImage...carrier-19.jpg

Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
No. If you filled your car with 3 other passangers each weighing an average of 150 pounds, would your car be un-driveable? No, you'll just be using more gas and more braking.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:51 PM
I would be seriously concerned with the hitch mount. On a Fit you're essentially going into sheet metal. No way would I consider cantilevering that off the back of a Fit. See that pickmeup in the photo - that's what you need, with a class II hitch.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
No. If you filled your car with 3 other passangers each weighing an average of 150 pounds, would your car be un-driveable? No, you'll just be using more gas and more braking.
I understand that but the passengers aren't sitting out past the rear axle and rear bumper. They are more or less on top of of the rear axle so the weight is more evenly distributed to all four wheels.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shawnshank
I understand that but the passengers aren't sitting out past the rear axle and rear bumper. They are more or less on top of of the rear axle so the weight is more evenly distributed to all four wheels.
In terms of weight distibution it shouldn't be a problem and the weight isn't going to ruin your suspension. However I don't hitch anything so I would take Krimson_Cardnal's advice over mine. That bike looks small, I wonder if it would fit in your fit.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 PM
All the fit hitches are rated for 200 lb tongue weight. That is, 200 lb resting on the hitch itself, with the ability to pull or stop 2000 lb. So you'll be exceeding what the hitch itself is designed to do, even before you get to the fit itself.

Also, the fit hitch is class 1. That device is for class 3 and 4 receivers. 3 and 4 receivers are different sizes.

edit: And I would look into a small trailer for the bike. Harbor freight will have a cheap option, for sure.

Last edited by malraux; 05-25-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Excellent point malraux

Regarding the tongue weight, I've hauled a 4x6 trailer around for years. I've loaded 1K# and have never exceeded 25# tongue weight. A properly designed, balanced trailer will/should keep the T-weight to a minimum. Hauling w/ a small car 25# should be the max, regardless of the 'rating'.

Many folks seem to approach this the same way they seem to view the max pressure stamped on the side of their tires. Oh you can go there, however, safety and handling are seriously compromised.

Those cantilevered racks introduce tremendous loads on a hitch - class III and IV make a lot of sense.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM
I would think that kind of weight hanging off a hitch would have an effect on vehicle handling.

Is there enough room inside instead of putting it on a hitch hanging off tha back?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, you need a roof rack for that scooter instead.

I too would not want to do that hitch for scooter. i would just get a hitch with wheels to pull it maybe. not sure at you call those.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i would just get a hitch with wheels to pull it maybe. not sure at you call those.
a trailer. I would go with http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-accessories/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html It's easy to build and do what you'd want, while being pretty cheap.

Now the USDM fit isn't rated to tow anything but with the weight you're talking about, you'll be fine as long as you drive sensibly.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
lol, that's too easy of a name.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 PM
This from the Owner's Manual of mine...

"Towing a Trailer
Your vehicle is not designed to tow a
trailer. Attempting to do so can void
your warranties
."

Not sure why towing a light trailer would
be considered harmful to the vehicle.

I suppose all the proof they need is that
a hitch is installed.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 PM
According to Page 210 of the 2010 user manual, the FIT is designed for a max load of 850 lbs

Installing a hitch to carry a scooter with a combined weight of 275 lb will leave you a balance capacity of 575 lb of passenger weight. If you need to carry 5 passengers as well, each person cannot exceed 115 lbs (52 kg) so as not to exceed the 575 lb passenger weight with the scooter and hitch.

Someone mentioned a good point about the change in handling due to the protruding hitch and scooter. I agree about the change in handling because I think it will shift the FIT's center of gravity because FIT is a small car.

Perhaps, you may like to call Honda Corporate to pose the question to customer service and ask about handling issues (if any) and whether it will void any warranty? What about car insurance? Do you think it would a good idea to check if they will find reasons not to pay for your claims in an event of an accident, citing that it is hard to handle the FIT due to change in handling and shift in center of gravity?

P/S: The good thing about this protruding hitch and scooter on the FIT's back is that impatient motorists will not dare to tailgate you too closely :-)

Last edited by Ric01; 05-25-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Paul56
This from the Owner's Manual of mine...

"Towing a Trailer
Your vehicle is not designed to tow a
trailer. Attempting to do so can void
your warranties
."

Not sure why towing a light trailer would
be considered harmful to the vehicle.

I suppose all the proof they need is that
a hitch is installed.
The reasons I've heard have to do with different standards between the US Fit and other markets, and how overloaded people will tow in the US. That is, and this is hypothetical, the European towing standards might be based on towing the load for a short period at low speeds, while the US standards assume towing the max rated weight at 70 mph across the rockies. Dunno how true that is, but its what I've heard. For light loads at reasonable speeds you'll be fine in terms of likely damage.

As for the warranty, you can claim that you installed a bike rack, which doesn't void the warranty, only towing a trailer. They'd have to show that you actually towed a trailer.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Towing trailers with small cars in the EU has been a common practice for decades. You don't see too many pick-ups. I think the auto manufacturer's insurance cartel has put the kabosh on trailers on small cars in the US for the reasons you've stated to limit their liability.

I'll soon be picking up a Curt 3-point for my FIT.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Towing trailers with small cars in the EU has been a common practice for decades. You don't see too many pick-ups. I think the auto manufacturer's insurance cartel has put the kabosh on trailers on small cars in the US for the reasons you've stated to limit their liability.

I'll soon be picking up a Curt 3-point for my FIT.
Yup, I've got a foldable trailer for home depot runs.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
I would be more concerned about the back of that carrier bottoming out on the the street when you pull into a drive way. It is going to be very low to the ground.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
I guess it's fairly clear this would not be a good idea. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Excellent point malraux

Regarding the tongue weight, I've hauled a 4x6 trailer around for years. I've loaded 1K# and have never exceeded 25# tongue weight. A properly designed, balanced trailer will/should keep the T-weight to a minimum. Hauling w/ a small car 25# should be the max, regardless of the 'rating'.

Many folks seem to approach this the same way they seem to view the max pressure stamped on the side of their tires. Oh you can go there, however, safety and handling are seriously compromised.

Those cantilevered racks introduce tremendous loads on a hitch - class III and IV make a lot of sense.
25 lb tongue weight is very very low. How do you get a loaded trailer tongue weight this low?

_

Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
25 lb tongue weight is very very low. How do you get a loaded trailer tongue weight this low?

_
Balance. You put the weight of what you are towing over the axel of the trailer. The general recommendation is 60/40 forward/rearward. Then the trailer holds ~80% of the weight, and the car ~20%.

I'd go a bit more than 25lbs because a minor weight shift could turn it to negative a few pounds (that is, tilting up) which can be really bad. But if I were towing something specific, like a motorcycle with a custom trailer, I'd probably get it closer to KC's weight.

Quick Reply: Would this be too much weight for a Fit to handle?