General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Insurance Rates Up on Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Insurance Rates Up on Fit

I just got my 6 mos insurance renewal from State Farm. Rates went up slightly.

Reason they gave:

"The claim experience on your make and model has resulted in an increase to your vehicle rating group for comprehensive coverage"

"The claim experience on your make and model has resulted in an increase to your vehicle rating group for collision coverage"

Anyone else have similar increases for these reasons? Likely related to the increase number of Fits on the road. Last year I would see one or two a day in my area (small city), now it is more like five or six.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:10 PM
I received the same reason for me with my State Farm. It wasn't significant but noticeable for me to call them and ask. Overall, it's still reasonable for coverage but I have their umbrella coverage along with a multiline discount which helps out my other vehicle out quite a bit.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
It amounted to less than a dollar a month increase for me. We have other cars and home owners with them as well. Never saw that reason for an increase on the '96 Toyota or ' 95 Subaru in all the years we have owned them.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Just so you know- there aren't enough Fits anywhere for them to rate based on car and location.

So, for example, if a lot of Fits (or wheels) are stolen in California, that affects rates everywhere. Essentially, to simplify, if you live in Kansas and the Kansas 'base rate" is $200 for a $16,000 car and Fits nationwide are 20% more likely to get stolen, your cost will be $240 even if nobody's ever stolen a Fit in Kansas.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Rates are increasing based on collision and comprehensive claims.....
More Fits on the road = more accidents. From the number of Fits crashed, or totaled & being parted out here, I suspect it's true

Old 05-20-2011, 04:24 PM
It's not the number of accidents, it's the percentage of Fits that crash.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:18 AM
My state farm 6 month premium actually went down in the last 3 months about $30.. 27 year old male in alabama

Last edited by RevToTheRedline; 05-21-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:07 AM
same message

I received the same message from State Farm. I'm not happy about it but it's typical Insurance company BS. Geico pulled the same stuff. I'm not happy but have to live with it or check around for different Ins.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Funny, just got my renewal in the mail, fits coverage went up $400 more a year.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:43 PM
The few experiences I heard are that when a FIT gets into a collision, the occupants will be protected by all the front and side airbags and air curtains PLUS some of the designated crumple zones engineered to absorb the collision force. That may be the reason why the fuel tank is directly underneath the front seats so that any front end or back end collision will hopefully not touch the fuel tank.

Due to the size and weight of the FIT, there is a higher probability that the FIT will be totaled or will sustain serious damage that will cost more to fix if the crumple zones are still fixable. If the FIT is totaled, the insurance company has a higher likelihood to be required to replace the car if the insurance is comprehensive.

The two FIT accidents incidents I heard from my FIT friends last year was that their FITs was totaled on both occasions but the occupants were safe. Their insurance companies had to replace their vehicles as per their comprehensive coverage

Hmmm.. I am wondering if the insurance rates for other similar class cars has increased as well.. ie Fiesta, Mazda2, Versa???

Last edited by Ric01; 05-22-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
The few experiences I heard are that when a FIT gets into a collision, the occupants will be protected by all the front and side airbags and air curtains PLUS some of the designated crumple zones engineered to absorb the collision force. That may be the reason why the fuel tank is directly underneath the front seats so that any front end or back end collision will not touch the fuel tank hopefully

Due to the size and weight of the FIT, there is a higher probability that the FIT will be totaled or will sustain serious damage that will cost more to fix if the crumple zones are still fixable. If the FIT is totaled, the insurance company has to replace the car if the insurance is comprehensive.

The two FIT accidents incidents I heard from my FIT friends last year was that their FITs was totaled on both occasions but the occupants were safe. Their insurance companies had to replace their vehicles as per their comprehensive coverage

Hmmm.. I am wondering if the insurance rates for other similar class cars has increased as well.. ie Fiesta, Mazda2, Versa???
Going off what you said, with the shortage of Fits the prices went up and so did the insurance. I guess in the long run its good because your car is worth more.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Going off what you said, with the shortage of Fits the prices went up and so did the insurance. I guess in the long run its good because your car is worth more.
Good point... thanks

Old 05-22-2011, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Does any one know if they have plans to make the Fit and CRZ in the states? With all the radiation over there I am sure its going to hard to Import those cars now.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ric01
The few experiences I heard are that when a FIT gets into a collision, the occupants will be protected by all the front and side airbags and air curtains PLUS some of the designated crumple zones engineered to absorb the collision force. That may be the reason why the fuel tank is directly underneath the front seats so that any front end or back end collision will hopefully not touch the fuel tank.

Due to the size and weight of the FIT, there is a higher probability that the FIT will be totaled or will sustain serious damage that will cost more to fix if the crumple zones are still fixable. If the FIT is totaled, the insurance company has a higher likelihood to be required to replace the car if the insurance is comprehensive.

My Fit was totaled 2 months ago. The crumple zones worked well, and occupants of both cars were safe. My insurance company replaced my car, but I don't know yet how much my insurance went up.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i'll have to see and compare when i get my bill. i will switch to another insurance company if needed.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i'll have to see and compare when i get my bill. i will switch to another insurance company if needed.
That's the best approach. Insurance is just a commodity. If you have a reasonable driving record shop around. They're never loyal to you. No reason to pay more out of loyalty to them.

We had Allstate and our rates on homeowners and auto skyrocketed two years ago. We shopped and switched. Saved a little over a grand a year on both.

You may not be able to get a better deal but it doesn't take long to check. There's an agent on every street corner, even out here in the country.

Cheers.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM
I shop around for car insurance every 2-3 years just to be sure that my company isn't screwing me over (and cuz I move to a new state). Oddly enough, for me geico is either the cheapest or within a few bucks of the cheapest. When I got the most recent set of quotes, state farm was $400 a year more than geico. That was for 2 cars though.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Mine went up too. Same reason. Stupid.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
I have a few clients (yes, I work in insurance) who have Fits, but only one or two of them have seen rate increases this time around. A girl in my office who answers phones and has a black Fit Sport hasn't seen an increase yet. Another girl who comes in on Thursdays and Fridays who also happens to have a Fit Sport (but in blue) said her Geico renewal is coming up in July so she'll probably get some paperwork about it soon.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
I got the same message from State Farm. 35 y/o married male with a clean driving record, and my coverage is $500/yr.

Quick Reply: Insurance Rates Up on Fit