General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Insurance Rates Up on Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 PM
British Columbia Canada insurance rates are off the chart. There is only one government owned insurance company in our Province and we are paying $1,800 per year for insurance for my FIT (after clean driving record discount!), otherwise, it will be over 2 grand in insurance per year. This is a classic case of monopolistic, non-competitive environment. If you don't fork up the 2 grand per year here, you don't drive period.. no other insurance company around. If you owned two cars here, that will be 4 grand per year

I envy you all south of the border like paying a quarter of our rates

Last edited by Ric01; 06-02-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
My State Farm went up from 77.91 a month to 85.44 a month. Same reason - I have a feeling that over flap front crash that the Honda failed was one reason. Also it noted my vehicle safety discount had changed. I've had the car since 2007 and not one accident but it is going up not down. Might be time to shop around for a different insurance. I've had State Farm since I got my first car in 1978. I live 5 minutes from my work and even though it is a 2007 has only 39,000 miles on it. I am calling my agent today to discuss it.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
It's likely just a rate revision, and you can tell your agent all about how you haven't had any new tickets or accidents, there isn't some button that they can click on to figure out why your rates went up or a way that they can fix it without changing something, unless they reduce either your coverages or your annual mileage. Personally, while an increase in rates isn't a good thing, it went up by $7.50 monthly... likely not enough to change your life, and I don't think it's worth the hassle of re-shopping with all sorts of companies for the sake of saving a couple of bucks.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
mine went up too. not nice when they dont explain it on the bill and just give me a new price.

so yah, i also spoke to my agent and i adjusted my other cars' polices to get the total price down waay low for me.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
The bill never explains it, and frankly it shouldn't. Rates are subject to change after the term expires/renews. Nobody ever seems to ask the gas station attendant why gas prices go up, or the guy at the seafood section of the grocery store why salmon is more expensive than last year.

On one hand, a penny saved is a penny earned, but you just need to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle to call your agent to complain then re-shop your info with other places all for the sake of maybe saving a few dollars. So unless your rates went up a ton of money (or if you have experienced several continuous price hikes), then it's a waste of everybody's time.

I own an Evo IX (hands-down one of the most expensive cars to insure south of a $100k pricetag), and despite having had no violations or accidents and the car having depreciated in value (as is the case with the vast majority of cars), my rates continue to go up (albeit just a couple of dollars here and there) despite me now being in my early 30s, contrasting to being 23 when I bought this car brand new seven years ago exactly. You guys have nothing to complain about, seriously haha.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:23 PM
shoot, my insurance has been going down each time I renew on the Fit.

few months away form 26, no tickets, no accidents, not even fixits on the record.

Sounds like people simply need to talk to their insurance agents. YOu can qualify for several discounts if you do some research. My insurance was not tracking the side airbags. Those alone knocked 11 bucks off my monthly

USAA. Im in the military, so your rates will vary quite a bit

Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
My State Farm went up from 77.91 a month to 85.44 a month. Same reason - I have a feeling that over flap front crash that the Honda failed was one reason. Also it noted my vehicle safety discount had changed. I've had the car since 2007 and not one accident but it is going up not down. Might be time to shop around for a different insurance. I've had State Farm since I got my first car in 1978. I live 5 minutes from my work and even though it is a 2007 has only 39,000 miles on it. I am calling my agent today to discuss it.
That should have no impact on the GD. The partial front impact test is new and only current cars are subject to it...that said, the Fit didn't do well on every test it took part in in 2006/7 either.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Insurance is a commodity. When State Farm raised my rates (just as a matter of course, no claims or anything) I took my business down the street. You may like your agent, but when you need to make a claim, the agent is out of the picture and you swim with the sharks.

Cheers.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
But remember that rate increases don't require YOU to do anything wrong, only some demographic that represents you, whether it's your region, your age group or other owners of your vehicle. Just ask anyone in Florida, their rates are among the highest.

While insurance is a commodity, it's not as if insurance companies raise rates just because they feel like making more money to buy bigger yachts and shinier watches. Rates go up when insurance companies lose money, which does happen from time to time, depending on the losses.

I wouldn't say that the claims process is like swimming with the sharks. But it is, if you are truly at fault but trying to convince everyone else that you aren't for whatever twisted reason (as most people are pretty naïve about claims or they try to play the victim), or if your policy sucks to begin with, which is either your fault for being cheap and getting only the minimums limits or the highest deductibles possible (assuming you got physical damage coverage to begin with), or your agent's fault, if they never made any recommendations to not get the cheapest possible option.

While the agent is USUALLY out of the picture, SOMETIMES they might have a little pull, depending on the agent's standing with the company. But they're not going to work any magic and get stuff overturned, like getting people free money or something. At best, if there's some discrepancy between what the company is paying out on a claim and what the REALISTIC payout should be (not like some 16 year-old claiming that his Rota wheels cost $4,000), the agent can sometimes encourage the claims department to bend a little bit and come to a compromise.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I called my agent and she looked it over and said that the increase was due to the fact that the car had failed in safety test and that more Fits were being totaled. I told her that my 2007 only had 39,700 miles on it and that I had retired it from showing so it would only be driven locally. I did qualify for a reduced mileage award for that so it will take me back down to what I was already paying. I think she felt I was going to go elsewhere if they did not do something.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
"Reduced mileage award" is likely just some fancy lingo meaning that they lowered your mileage lower than what they had set it at before. But it's good that you were able to make some adjustments (though it was exactly what I predicted) to get the rate back down to what you were hoping for.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
My bill from USAA went down $15.00 for 6 months on the Fit. I figured it should have gone down some more because it was a year older. (rates get adjusted once a year). I did not bother looking to see if the reduction was comp, collision, or liability.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
It depends on your age though. If you're still really young, then yes, a year might make a big difference, since each additional year of driving experience (particularly if there are no violations or losses) helps when you are 16-25. I'm in my 30s now, and next year, my rates will probably be exactly the same since statistically speaking I'm already part of the less risky group.

To put you at ease, it's likely that it was just your mileage that was adjusted. Unless your agent is really slimy, it's unlikely that he'd have reduced your coverages without telling you.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
It depends on your age though. If you're still really young, then yes, a year might make a big difference, since each additional year of driving experience (particularly if there are no violations or losses) helps when you are 16-25. I'm in my 30s now, and next year, my rates will probably be exactly the same since statistically speaking I'm already part of the less risky group.

To put you at ease, it's likely that it was just your mileage that was adjusted. Unless your agent is really slimy, it's unlikely that he'd have reduced your coverages without telling you.

i am older than you and have a A++ rating which is like the best of the best customer rating one can have as far as getting the best rates according to my agent. ive had no citation in over a decade. my policy went up on just the two Fit's i own. my other 2 cars were left untouched.

this increase has nothing to do with age or the risk level. it's just the car was categorized as a higher risk.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
I was offering those as possible explanations for rate increases in general (as my post was replying to someone else), not saying that your rates increased for sure because of A, B and C together.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:52 PM
I just bought a CPO 2010 Fit on Saturday. I was certain that the insurance would be cheaper than my Jeep Liberty, but I was wrong. My full coverage on the Jeep was 64.00 and the Fit is 73.00. Kinda surprised, but like a lot of you guys I have state farm.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
While percentage-wise it's a jump (14%), it's a little over $100 more a year... likely not going to affect your life.

The problem is that very few people have an understanding of underwriting, and a lot of people "think" one car is going to be less to insure because it's not fast or because it's not big or whatever reason, but underwriting has more to do with rates than that.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i am older than you and have a A++ rating which is like the best of the best customer rating one can have as far as getting the best rates according to my agent. ...
In Florida and old, no accidents so Hartford gives you lower deductible but when I called and questioned price and where is the change in deductible, their answer was I had to ask for it. So all those people not asking are paying for the deductible level they started with. I could raise the deductible and wouldn't have to pay any deductible due to good driving record, sucks that a company can offer and say they are giving you a good deal when they ignore when sending the billing.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
It doesn't mean that they aren't giving you a good deal. You are likely referring to a diminishing deductible (which a number of companies offer), but it's not a standard coverage. You have to request it, just like new vehicle replacement (as it too is something that not every company offers thus not a "normal" coverage and certainly not automatically given to you).

Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
It doesn't mean that they aren't giving you a good deal. You are likely referring to a diminishing deductible (which a number of companies offer), but it's not a standard coverage. You have to request it, just like new vehicle replacement (as it too is something that not every company offers thus not a "normal" coverage and certainly not automatically given to you).
Not give it = profit. better deal for them.
Better deal for the consumer when you don't have to pay the premium for the lower deductible and get the same coverage. Pay to advertise the advantage and then not apply it to lower amount premium that can be paid.

Quick Reply: Insurance Rates Up on Fit