General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Going to buy a honda fit in a few weeks, any advice or tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by henryd1981
That's very true. They screwed me when I bought mine.
You didn't by any chance get yours at Bankston Honda in Lewisville did you?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Just got my fit base with manual last Thursday. I love how I can accelerate faster with the manual if I feel the need for speed. I got the .90 % financing which you can not beat! I was thinking elantra or soul or versa but with that .9% I had to go with the fit In fact I never actually looked at the other 3. I got the extended warranty but am now re thinking that. Electronics scare me but 1700.00 for an extra 5 years...I just don't know. any thoughts on this anyone or is there a tread on pros and cons of extended warranties????
Bill

Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by billtmore
Just got my fit base with manual last Thursday. I love how I can accelerate faster with the manual if I feel the need for speed. I got the .90 % financing which you can not beat! I was thinking elantra or soul or versa but with that .9% I had to go with the fit In fact I never actually looked at the other 3. I got the extended warranty but am now re thinking that. Electronics scare me but 1700.00 for an extra 5 years...I just don't know. any thoughts on this anyone or is there a tread on pros and cons of extended warranties????
Bill
If they're still offering rebates or incentive APRs, chances are they won't be raising prices. I'm actually surprised they need these right now to move the Fits.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
The salesman said they were going to end may 2nd! I thought .9 was super do you have any thoughts on the 100,000 mile warranty I am conflicted
Bill

Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Occam
If they're still offering rebates or incentive APRs, chances are they won't be raising prices. I'm actually surprised they need these right now to move the Fits.
The only incentive financing they are offering right now is the graduate program.

Electronics scare me but 1700.00 for an extra 5 years...I just don't know. any thoughts on this anyone or is there a tread on pros and cons of extended warranties????
In general, you're better off not taking the extended warranty. $1700 covers a fair amount of repairs. The best advice is to take any money you'd be tempted to spend on an extended warranty and put it in a savings account, and then use that money to finance repairs.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
thanks Malraux... I know I have a few weeks to cancel..I know consumer reports said don't waste your money I guess all it takes is 2-3 major repairs...but then again this car is solid my old 95 GEO prism was bulletproof too except for me running through a couple clutches!! (the need for speed)
Bill

Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by malraux
The only incentive financing they are offering right now is the graduate program.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, Scion's offering the a similar deal as $1,000 rebate cash for college graduates or any US Military Member. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen Honda offer any type of military deal... guess it's not their thing.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
thanks Malraux... I know I have a few weeks to cancel..I know consumer reports said don't waste your money I guess all it takes is 2-3 major repairs...but then again this car is solid my old 95 GEO prism was bulletproof too except for me running through a couple clutches!! (the need for speed)
Bill
My Fit will be 5 years old in July, is supercharged with 10PSI boost and has other performance mods as well... It has never been to a dealership for warranty work... The main reason to buy a Honda is because they don't break down and run forever... Don't let them scare you into an extended service warranty.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
Generally, yes, you should treat each step of the negotiation as a separate phase. Price for the new car is a separate transaction from the price for the used car, which is a separate transaction from the financing/loan and separate from buying an extended warranty. You shouldn't lie about any future step, but just take each one step at a time.
Financing is certainly separate, as is the extended warranty. But the price of the car/value of the trade in is one number. You can argue them back and forth, but in the end, you have a difference in mind, they have a difference in mind, and you are negotiating that one number.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 PM
The salesman said they were going to end may 2nd! I thought .9 was super do you have any thoughts on the 100,000 mile warranty I am conflicted
Bill
What are they ending on May 2nd?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by xMr. lemon Headx
That seems like an awesome deal. Hopefully the dealers I am working with will do something like that. On the 7 year/ 75,000 mile extended warranty is that bumper to bumper or just powertrain? Did they offer any kind of roadside assistance?

With the prices going up due to the Japan situation, does that mean the dealers will not want to negotiate? Or will it simply be a little harder to get a better price? Also I will be paying for the car with cash after my trade-in, so I will not be worrying with any kind of financing. I have heard it's best to not tell the dealer you aren't financing until you already agree on a number, is that true?
The warranty covers everything the regular warranty that comes with the vehicle.

No roadside assistance but that was not an issue for me. Anyone with a driver's license in Texas automatically gets roadside assistance with an 800 number on the license plus I have AAA.

The situation with respect to supply and demand is fluid and may change by the time you pull the trigger. It depends on how quickly inventories on this side of the pond start depleting and how soon the Japanese factories get back to 100% production and start shipping them over.

I don't think the dealer cars much... pay cash or finance. They just want to sell the vehicles anyway they can.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
Heh... When I bought the Scion, they had a $1000 rebate for military members, contingent on financing through Toyota/Lexus Financial. They also sent me a "Military Mail drop," a box filled with Scion swag: a drawstring bag, earphones, jump-drive, T-shirt, watchcap, keychain, chapstick (yes, chapstick), clip-on folding pen, playing cards, and a few other odds and ends, all Scion-branded, of course, along with a "Thank you for serving in the military" note.

Very cool of them!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Watch out for dealer options. They'll have stuff like pinstripes and floormats already on/in the car. They'll give you the regular price of the car. Then, when you really sit down to talk numbers, they'll throw in, "Oh, it's another $1200 for the convenience package."
If you can't find a dealer who doesn't do this, I think the best defense would be to go in armed with the accessory catalog and offer to pay what those things are actually worth- generally about 1/4 of what they're charging.