General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2011 Honda Fit Recall For Lost Motion Spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
2011 Honda Fit Recall For Lost Motion Spring

My 2010 Honda Fit Sport is on the list... bummer. I called our local dealership and they said they won't receive the replacement parts until March 17th. They mentioned that the entire engine will be pulled to fix the problem, sounds like major surgery. :|

Here's the statement:

TORRANCE, Calif. – February 16, 2011 – Honda will recall 97,201 model year 2009-2010 Fit vehicles in the U.S. to replace the lost motion springs, components within the engine valvetrain. The lost motion springs, which are compressed by rocker arms in normal engine use, may bend or break over time resulting in abnormal engine noise and potentially causing engine damage or stalling. No crashes or injuries have been reported related to this defect.

Honda is announcing this recall to encourage all owners of affected vehicles to take their vehicles to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Honda by mail. Notification to customers will begin in early March 2011.

When Honda identifies concerns of this nature, nothing is more important to the company than fulfilling our obligation and responsibility to alert our customers. To this end in addition to contacting customers by mail, in early March, owners of these vehicles will be able to determine if their vehicle requires repair by going on-line or calling. Honda owners can go to www.recalls.honda.com or call (800) 999-1009, and select option 4.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/mainte...ing_recall.asp

Cheers

Old 03-10-2011, 01:58 PM
My 09 got gutted and fixed today in a couple hours.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Have letters already gone out to owners? The Honda owner link site says "no recalls " on the 2010 Fit I bought end of May 2010.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
there's already a large thread about this
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...es-recall.html

Last edited by spin out; 03-10-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by sooznd
Have letters already gone out to owners? The Honda owner link site says "no recalls " on the 2010 Fit I bought end of May 2010.
Apparently not yet, I just happen to stumble upon this recall today as I was setting up my Honda account online. I called two dealerships and they weren't even aware of it but did look it up and confirmed my 2010 Honda Fit Sport was on the recall list.

You might consider giving your local dealership a ring to get ahead in line.

Here's the information for reference you can tell them:

Bulletin Number: 11-010
Recall Name: Lost Motion Spring

Cheers

Old 03-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Ahhh I didn't see that, sorry about posting this thread and I'll give the other a good going over. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Benissimo
Apparently not yet, I just happen to stumble upon this recall today as I was setting up my Honda account online. I called two dealerships and they weren't even aware of it but did look it up and confirmed my 2010 Honda Fit Sport was on the recall list.

You might consider giving your local dealership a ring to get ahead in line.

Here's the information for reference you can tell them:

Bulletin Number: 11-010
Recall Name: Lost Motion Spring

Cheers
Thursday, we received a call from Honda stating that our Fit is being recalled. The call said we need to wait 5 days for the letter to come in the mail and then call the Honda dealer. However, the Honda Ownerlink said their were no recalls for my fit, but that changed when I logged in today.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Got work done

I went into the dealership for routine maintenance today and found out about the recall. They simply ended up replacing the lost motion springs and then adjusted the valves. Can't notice any difference to be honest

Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Lost Motion Springs Replaced

Our local dealership took care of the problem in 3 hours today and per the receipt; they "installed updated lost motion springs as part of product update".

Part Number: HON 04148-RK8-305
Description: SET, LOST MOTION

After the fix, the steering wheel seems to be turning much smoother and the brakes seem more responsive too. I don't know if it's just me or not, but it seems to be the case.

Cheers

Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Benissimo
Our local dealership took care of the problem in 3 hours today and per the receipt; they "installed updated lost motion springs as part of product update".

Part Number: HON 04148-RK8-305
Description: SET, LOST MOTION

After the fix, the steering wheel seems to be turning much smoother and the brakes seem more responsive too. I don't know if it's just me or not, but it seems to be the case.

Cheers
I absolutely agree with the steering and braking being tighter, but figured that had more to do with putting all seasons on and getting an alignment done.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Today we took the Fit in for the recall. We brought at 9:30 AM and it wasn't ready until 4:30PM. Apparently, they replaced all 4 springs.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 PM
We brought our 09 Fit in to the local dealership to have the recall work done. I asked ahead of time (after reading about the numerous issues here) how many repairs they had completed, and was told "at least 50."

Car immediately sounded wrong - loud tapping or "chugging" sound at 1500-2000 RPMs, especially noticeable in deceleration. Cowling totally ruined - scrapes all around the outside of the piece, plastic clips were ruined, and the entire unit was loose under the hood. Both windshield wiper "sprayers" are no longer functioning.

I just can't believe they sent the car out of the shop looking like this!

Cowling is apparently backordered for 2-3 weeks. The "service rep" told me that the engine sounded normal to him, but when I pressed him he admitted not driving the car, just listening to it at idle. I'm supposed to take it back tomorrow and deal with someone higher up.

Very disappointing. My car worked perfectly until this, and now it sounds like crap (and a 2-4 MPG drop too!).

Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Got mine done Friday-Saturday. I went to Norm Reeves in West Covina, they said the recall was for my car.

I went at noon and there was kind of a long wait for oil change so after they saw the recall flag, Chris there said "I'll give you a free rental and just come by tomorrow."

Excellent customer service. There's a reason I go to Norm Reeves in WC instead of Puente Hills Diamond Honda(where we bought the car).

Old 04-18-2011, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
How critical is it

Hi Guys,

I have 09 Fit Sport and I received this recall letter. I even booked an appointment for this Wed but after having read the experiences of ppl who have got the repair work done and how dealers have messed up the cowling and what not, I was wondering if I should put it off for sometime. I'm planning a trip from NJ to NC over this weekend and I dont want wiper and other issues to pop up during this trip. How critical is it to get this done, would you recommend getting it done before the trip or wait until after? Pls advise.

Thanks,
Sam

Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by usnj01
Hi Guys,

I have 09 Fit Sport and I received this recall letter. I even booked an appointment for this Wed but after having read the experiences of ppl who have got the repair work done and how dealers have messed up the cowling and what not, I was wondering if I should put it off for sometime. I'm planning a trip from NJ to NC over this weekend and I dont want wiper and other issues to pop up during this trip. How critical is it to get this done, would you recommend getting it done before the trip or wait until after? Pls advise.

Thanks,
Sam
are you in NJ?
not all dealers remove the cowl. i had my recall done at open road honda in edison. they do not remove the cowl during the recall. you could call your dealer and ask, or go to open road honda.
i had no issues with getting the recall done at open road honda.

if i was you, i wouldn't be too worried about waiting until after the trip. but that's just me.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spin out
are you in NJ?
not all dealers remove the cowl. i had my recall done at open road honda in edison. they do not remove the cowl during the recall. you could call your dealer and ask, or go to open road honda.
i had no issues with getting the recall done at open road honda.

if i was you, i wouldn't be too worried about waiting until after the trip. but that's just me.
Thanks for the quick reply. I typically go to Autosport Honda in Bridgewater as its close by to me and I can arrange a ride for myself in that area. They're OK but I havent got anything major done from them. Would open road give a loner for this?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by usnj01
Thanks for the quick reply. I typically go to Autosport Honda in Bridgewater as its close by to me and I can arrange a ride for myself in that area. They're OK but I havent got anything major done from them. Would open road give a loner for this?
no, unfortunately they dont provide a loaner.

speaking of a loaner..... you could always rent a car for the NC trip.
i'd consider that just to keep the miles off my fit.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spin out
no, unfortunately they dont provide a loaner.

speaking of a loaner..... you could always rent a car for the NC trip.
i'd consider that just to keep the miles off my fit.
Thanks, not worried about miles... I dont put too many miles everyday.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
The cowl absolutely has to be removed, including the wiper arms, wiper motor, and steel cowl cover. Its the only way to remove the intake manifold and valve cover. You would never be able to "tell" I removed the cowl because I know how these come apart and I even bought a special plastic clip popper from snapon specifically for this recall to make the job more efficient and less likely to break anything (im flat rate here).

Upon removing the valve cover, you need to read the stamping on the rocker arm assembly, and if it falls under the known recall dates, all of the loss motion springs need replaced. I have done about 30 of these so far at my dealership, and I have it down to about a science. Valve clearance needs to be checked/corrected upon reinstallation of rocker arm assembly. I know that the washer fluid tube runs under the cowl, and can be easily overlooked if you have only done 1 or 2. If your engine is noisy after the recall, ask for a competent mechanic to re-lash the valves. If I have a "waiter" LMA recall, I let the car sit on my rack for about an hour to let the engine cool first before lashing the valves to make a more accurate valve adjustment.

Replacing loss motion springs in D or B series honda engines should never change valve lash, unfortunately, in the L series, the rocker assembly in bolted using 8mm thread bolts @ 11ft/lbs, and when reinstalling, changes the lash ever so slightly. I found that using a snap-on digital torque wrench vs. a clicker type makes valve lash far more accurate when reinstalling the rocker assembly. If I use a digital torque wrench, I may have to adjust 3 or 4 valves, and if I use a less accurate clicker type, I may have to adjust every single one. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by kirko; 04-19-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
I hope people see this post ^. Good info from the inside.

Quick Reply: 2011 Honda Fit Recall For Lost Motion Spring