General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Should I fit? (not sure) helpz........

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Should I fit? (not sure) helpz........

Should I fit?

A little background. My Daily driver is a 2008 Acura CSX-Type S (basically a 4dr Civic SI / with JDM lights-bumpers etc.. / with Navi / automatic climate control / leather / heated seats etc....

My current daily driver sits in the driveway 5 days a week because I take the bus to work (parking downtown is ridonk $$) and we use my GF's 2005 Civic for little errands and stuff during the week.

Also I bought a 2nd weekend toy (2001 MR2 Spyder Last year) that I use during summer weekends and the odd summer weeknight.
Therefore my daily driver just sits around alot and doesn't get used.

So, this is my thinking:

***reasons to trade to a Fit***

-the current daily driver isn't cheap (its a pretty big car payment, the car cost over $30k Canadian)
-the current daily driver only drinks premium gas (for the few times I fill it cause I don't drive it alot)
-the current daily driver goes through tires like its a BMW or Mercedes (which means often)
-the current daily driver can't haul alot of stuff because its a sedan
-the current daily driver isn't wonderful on gas (its not horrible, its just not great)
-the current daily driver isn't that great in snow (200hp / stiff suspension etc...)

***reasons a Fit might not be a good decision***

-dog ass slow (compared to my daily driver or the MR2)
-doesn't get significantly better mileage than my CSX-S
-doesn't have the luxo stuff I'm used to
-dog ass slow
-doesn't appear to have as much aftermarket support as other cars I have or have had in the past
-dog ass slow

Basically I'm super attracted to the Fit's:
-whole magic seat thing
-huge storage area concept
-I like the looks
-I like how they look with a decent drop and some wheels
-I like that it gets better mileage than my current daily driver
-I like that it would be cheaper to run than my current daily driver (insurance-tires etc..).
-I like that changing to a Fit, would put about $400 a month back in my pocket (between car payment / insurance / gas etc..)

this is my current daily driver / this is what I would be giving up to get into a Fit

Name:  IMG_9600.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  260.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9674.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  197.9 KB
Name:  IMG_9758ver2.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  187.2 KB
Name:  IMG_9713.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  113.1 KB
Name:  IMG_9706-1.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  99.0 KB
Name:  IMG_9730.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  119.7 KB

this is my 2001 Toyota MR2 spyder

I'm the second owner, I imported it from the United States (into Canada) last june.
its got 23,000 miles on it and from what I can tell I don't think it had ever been driven in the rain
so far I've added a race header / springs / new yokohamas and I've got a bunch of suspension bracing to add in the spring along with an intake a couple other little things.

Name:  DSC_0727.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  122.3 KB
Name:  DSC_0744.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0648.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  111.6 KB

I also still have my first car ever, a 1990 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint (you americans got shafted with the Geo Metro instead)

Name:  DSC_0790.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0822.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  105.5 KB

So, help me out

what do you think? (pros - cons)
also, has anyone else gone from a car like mine (or higher) to a Fit?
Looking forward to hearing what you think

Cheers

Will
p.s. when I test drove a Fit yesterday, it looked like I could get a decent trade in for my Acura, and the dealer has a pretty good selection of Fit's in stock to choose from.

Last edited by 3cyltrbo; 02-13-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Obviously no one can answer this but you, however, I'll offer some stray thoughts:

The MR2 is a great little car but wildly impractical. If you take it on a trip with a passenger you can basically carry a change of underwear and socks for both people, a thermos of coffee and a couple sandwiches. The Fit in comparison has massive cargo capacity.

Unless Ottawa doesn't get deep snow or the city and province have great plowing a lowered Fit isn't exactly the makings of a wonderful snow car. Here in Maine we get deep enough snow a few times per winter that our non-lowered Fit Sport does a bit of snow plowing. Snow tires are a must here.

My wife had a plain vanilla '97 Civic. Compared to that car the Fit is not dog ass slow, almost sporty feeling. Compared to the '89 Civic Si that I once owned it is a bit slow but not painfully slow.

No one is going to mistake the Fit for a luxury car. The interior materials are so-so or worse ("carpet") and there is wind, engine and road noise on the highway.

I like your Acura although the premium gas and no hatchback would both be deal killers for me.

Last edited by LostHighway; 02-14-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by LostHighway
Obviously no one can answer this but you, however, I'll offer some stray thoughts:

The MR2 is a great little car but wildly impractical. If you take it on a trip with a passenger you can basically carry a change of underwear and socks for both people, a thermos of coffee and a couple sandwiches. The Fit in comparison has massive cargo capacity.

Unless Ottawa doesn't get deep snow or the city and province have great plowing a lowered Fit isn't exactly the makings of a wonderful snow car. Here is Maine we get deep enough snow a few times per winter that our non-lowered Fit Sport does a bit of snow plowing. Snow tires are a must here.

My wife had a plain vanilla '97 Civic. Compared to that car the Fit is not dog ass slow, almost sporty feeling. Compared to the '89 Civic Si that I once owned it is a bit slow but not painfully slow.

No one is going to mistake the Fit for a luxury car. The interior materials are so-so or worse ("carpet") and there is wind, engine and road noise on the highway.

I like your Acura although the premium gas and no hatchback would both be deal killers for me.
You're right the MR2 never really leaves the city and I don't expect it to (or to be practical) it is what it is.

As for the Fit, no doubt it crushes my car for space and storage area (by virtue of magic seats and hatchback)

I know I'd save on gas and generally everything would be a bit cheaper because its smaller (tires are smaller and cheaper / brakes are smaller and cheaper etc...) . And most importantly the car payment would be reduced by at about 50% and my insurance would drop a bit.

I'm just concerned about longer trips (we travel from Ottawa to Maine several times a year) and daily commuting (if I change jobs and have to drive everyday again)

As for being dog ass slow, I guess it's all relative? / what I drove to the test drive (daily driver) has maybe 215hp right now (combined from mods)--- compared to the Fit which is only 350lbs lighter with 100hp less / and about 30lb-ft torque less, = I felt uncomfortable at times.

Even the MR2 feels slow at times (with 145hp as modded / and weighing 2250lbs)

Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 AM
I find the Fit to be an acceptable but not great road trips car.

Have you considered any of the following: VW or Audi A3 TDI hatchback or wagon (gobs of torque, hp not so much), Mazda 3 5-door or a 2004 or 2005 Civic Si (assuming yours were hatchbacks too)? A new Audi certainly isn't going to save you any money but the other options might.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by LostHighway
I find the Fit to be an acceptable but not great road trips car.

Have you considered any of the following: VW or Audi A3 TDI hatchback or wagon (gobs of torque, hp not so much), Mazda 3 5-door or a 2004 or 2005 Civic Si (assuming yours were hatchbacks too)? A new Audi certainly isn't going to save you any money but the other options might.
actually I have considered the Golf TDI but they aren't much cheaper to buy than my current car / I have figured the TDI would have the long range comfort of my car / better fuel efficiency than the Fit and almost the same hatch capacity as the Fit - but it costs about $6000 more than a Fit Sport and almost $8000 more than a Fit LX

As for the Ep3 Si (SiR in Canada) I had a 2002 SIR and although I absolutely loved it at the time, frankly it didn't get much better mileage than my current car.

Mazda 3, I don't really like the looks of.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
unless you need the cargo space keep your civic. especially with MT and mods you already have why waste a good car?

the reason why i ended up hating my 06 CivicEX was because of the AT.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Well I went from an 08 Fit Sport to a 10 4 door Si. Judging by your dog ass slow comment written 3 times, it sounds like that is a major issue for you. So like Kenchan says unless you really need the cargo don't get the Fit in my humble opinion.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
I've always wanted the car I purchased and didn't need someone else to convince me what to buy. Don't buy a Fit because a bunch of Fit owners tell you how great their Fits are. (Their opinions are probably just a little biased.) Buy something else.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM
I can say with some authority that the reasons for owning a Fit will not be for what many "will say" around here. I went form an MR2 into my current Fit. The Fit is not a replacement for the MR2 or any other car with such sporting like pretensions. It's like driving a van in comparison. That being said, the advantages are there as well. The fuel mileage will be about the same, maybe better. My MR2 averaged around 28-29 mpg per tank full, around the same as my Fit in the same driving environment (I have to do a lot of city driving). On the other hand the FIT is a versatile vehicle that has the cargo carrying ability of a small van, so as a urban hauler it makes a nice compliment to a stable of cars. If you already have your "go-fast" car for weekend enjoyment than the fit is a good complement for those time when you have to haul something bulky, or could be worried about the security of a convertible.

As for trading the Acura? Well the same rationalization can apply. It is a sporty machine, more than the urban truckster role the Fit can take on. But with you already having three other cars to choose from ( girlfriends, first car, and MR2 ) the question I have is why trade for another daily driver? Especially when you say that the driving you do is not such a daily affair.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Blueskulker
I can say with some authority that the reasons for owning a Fit will not be for what many "will say" around here. I went form an MR2 into my current Fit. The Fit is not a replacement for the MR2 or any other car with such sporting like pretensions. It's like driving a van in comparison. That being said, the advantages are there as well. The fuel mileage will be about the same, maybe better. My MR2 averaged around 28-29 mpg per tank full, around the same as my Fit in the same driving environment (I have to do a lot of city driving). On the other hand the FIT is a versatile vehicle that has the cargo carrying ability of a small van, so as a urban hauler it makes a nice compliment to a stable of cars. If you already have your "go-fast" car for weekend enjoyment than the fit is a good complement for those time when you have to haul something bulky, or could be worried about the security of a convertible.

As for trading the Acura? Well the same rationalization can apply. It is a sporty machine, more than the urban truckster role the Fit can take on. But with you already having three other cars to choose from ( girlfriends, first car, and MR2 ) the question I have is why trade for another daily driver? Especially when you say that the driving you do is not such a daily affair.
this is good!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you everyone for your input.

I guess I see it this way; probably the best thing for me to do would be to have the following

-Fit (or some other hatchback thing) that is practical / can haul stuff from Ikea and costs little (or less than the Acura)
-Mr2 (its not going anywhere) is my fun to drive / weekend car (its slower than the acura but still quick enough to be fun
-Turbo Sprint (for the times I want supreme tossability / fun to drive / hot hatch etc)

It all boils down to wants / needs

Really I don't "need" a car like the Acura, especially because it can't do as much for me as a hatchback (like the Fit) can do , and do it for as little money as a Fit could.

The smartest business decision would be

-Fit (or some similar small hatchback - cheap to own) for daily driver - Ikea shopping / etc...
-MR2 (convertible toy)
-Turbo Sprint (other toy that is secure / can carry stuff in a pinch if I have to)

As for people here making my decision for me, I'm not looking to be told what to do - I value hearing from people that live with the car on a day to day basis / what their experiences are / what they regret / how it compares to the car they had before etc....

Even the dude that went from a Fit to a 4dr Si, it would interest me to know exactly what he felt after going in the opposite direction (fit to 4dr sedan) than what I'm thinking

Will

Old 02-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Well I went from an 08 Fit Sport to a 10 4 door Si. Judging by your dog ass slow comment written 3 times, it sounds like that is a major issue for you. So like Kenchan says unless you really need the cargo don't get the Fit in my humble opinion.

having gone from a Fit / to what is basically by Acura (minus some luxo stuff) what are your impressions.

How do you feel at the loss of whatever the fit gave you (better mileage / more cargo capacity / cheaper to own etc...)

??

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Well the 2 things the Fit did better for me was cargo and about 4 combined mpg more than my Si. I personally don't really need cargo space and the mpg isn't that big of deal to me. The lack of power just got old and I decided to move on to something more suited to me. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford 2 cars my 2nd car would be a Fit.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Why cant you use the Sprint for carrying stuff, since it's a hatchback? Why are you even concerned about money if you have 3 cars? Sounds like someone needs to get their priorities in order.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Since your daily driver sits on the driveway 5 days a week, why bother having it at all, or even any other DD? From a financial standpoint, isn't that just a money pit? If you were to sell it, you would still have your weekend car and the Sprint and Civic in case you really have to use it during the weekdays. With all the money you would save, you could get a really nice weekend car when you finally decide to upgrade from the MR2.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Olyar15
Why cant you use the Sprint for carrying stuff, since it's a hatchback? Why are you even concerned about money if you have 3 cars? Sounds like someone needs to get their priorities in order.
the Sprint is almost 22years old (on the road Nov 89) and it doesn't look the way it does because I haul crap in it all the time. It looks the way it does because it hasn't seen snow since 1994 and it hasn't seen rain since 1999.

I'd sooner carry something home from Ikea on my back than put it in the Sprint. The odd trip to the grocery store is one thing, but HomeDepot and Ikea is something totally different.

Without going into specifics, money isn't a problem (frankly I almost bought an M3 before choosing the Acura), its more that I'm becoming tighter and tighter in my old age (37) and I hate seeing my money not serving me as best as possible.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Vanct
Since your daily driver sits on the driveway 5 days a week, why bother having it at all, or even any other DD? From a financial standpoint, isn't that just a money pit? If you were to sell it, you would still have your weekend car and the Sprint and Civic in case you really have to use it during the weekdays. With all the money you would save, you could get a really nice weekend car when you finally decide to upgrade from the MR2.
very valid points!!! (and ones that I've considered)

Frankly I could make do without a daily driver in 70% of scenarios.

But every once in a while comes a time when I need to go out and my GF/Fiance is already gone with the Civic. If this happens in the Summer I can use the MR2 (as long as I don't have to carry passengers or any cargo at all) , technically speaking I could use the sprint as well (although right now its being torn down for some mechanical "freshening")

However, there are now (and always will be) times when I have to take the car to work (appointment in the middle of the day / appointment after work - something large to bring to work etc..) , there are also times when I might need to go somewhere with friends / family etc... and its those times that I need a daily driver.

ie: my dad has treatments at a hospital 3 times a week, and I usually pick him up after his Saturday treatment / I can't bring the sprint or the MR2 because they both ride shitty (suspension mods) and they are too low

its that kind of thing that makes me want to keep a daily driver around.

or the times when my GF is off with her friends or visiting her family and I have plans of my own but I don't want to drive in a smelly / loud / rough and storage limited car like the sprint or Mr2

Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
In that case, if you really need just a point A to B car that can do it for the lower price, the Fit is it. But if you only drive it, say 30% of the time, maybe a car above $15K that has a payment isn't worth it either. You would be better off eliminating the payment and buying an older Civic or something gas efficient for under $5K paid off.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Have the woman ditch her 05 and get the Fit.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by D50boy
Have the woman ditch her 05 and get the Fit.
ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been trying for months!!!!!

I probably say to her every two days:

"why don't you get the Fit and I'll keep my car, or you take my car and I'll get a Fit"

Problem is,............. her car (even though its become our main daily driver), it doesn't see alot of use (56,000 miles maybe?(90,000km)) and its been paid off since day 1 (paid for cash). All of which means that it will go at least another 5 years as long as we keep up routine maintenance.

She doesn't want to have a payment, and even though she's talked about a new car - everytime I bring it up, she reverts to not wanting a car payment (which I totally agree with)

Will

Old 02-18-2011, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Well Will, you may want to trade her in for a new model.

Just kidding man! Honestly, if it were me, I'd have to make a choice on all of your cars. You have 4 cars among 2 people and you want a 5th. You mentioned that you'd like something with a good suspension- the Fit suspensions are a bit stiff even from the factory. I'd probably get rid of your cars and get something larger and upscale on the used market. An RDX or X3 maybe?

Last edited by D50boy; 02-18-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I fit? (not sure) helpz........