General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Minor petty things about my Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Minor petty things about my Fit

Love the car but I wonder about a couple of things:

1. Why do I need a dashboard light telling me my headlights are on? Shouldn't the illuminated dashboard and the fact that I can see in front of me at night be enough of a clue? I think that dashboard lights ought to be reserved for warning lights plus maybe to tell me what AT gear I'm in. Good thing it's usually blocked by the steering wheel but wouldn't it make more sense to have a light reminding people that they're driving at night without their lights? (which happens a lot here in NY because the streets are pretty well illuminated at night; used to flash my lights at these people until someone told me that's one good way cops catch drunk drivers, they forget to turn their lights on and it's a good excuse to pull them over)

2. I like the idea of having a low fuel light but when it stays on it's annoying. My prior car also had a low fuel light but it went on and then off, and then on... and I learned that I could continue driving until the third time it came on. With the Fit's light if you don't keep track of when it came on you don't get as good an indication of how much fuel is left. And it keeps blaring at you.

3. Has anybody noticed that the steering wheel isn't round? I don't mean it's not a circle. What I mean is that the piece of steel that they bend into a circle to make into the steering wheel isn't a cylinder, it's sort of oval. I'm getting used to it but I found it weird when I test-drove the car and even after 1000 miles it seems strange.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Puhleeze !! "Minor" complaints is an understatement. "Ridiculous" would be more like it.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
I never used the word 'complaint.' I said 'things.'

Old 01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Love the car but I wonder about a couple of things:

1. Why do I need a dashboard light telling me my headlights are on? Shouldn't the illuminated dashboard and the fact that I can see in front of me at night be enough of a clue? I think that dashboard lights ought to be reserved for warning lights plus maybe to tell me what AT gear I'm in. Good thing it's usually blocked by the steering wheel but wouldn't it make more sense to have a light reminding people that they're driving at night without their lights? (which happens a lot here in NY because the streets are pretty well illuminated at night; used to flash my lights at these people until someone told me that's one good way cops catch drunk drivers, they forget to turn their lights on and it's a good excuse to pull them over)
The dashboard is always illuminated. You can start your car, see the glow of lights (the drls), see the dashboard light up, and think that you have your headlights on. Many drivers come from vehicles such as GM cars that have auto headlights.
2. I like the idea of having a low fuel light but when it stays on it's annoying. My prior car also had a low fuel light but it went on and then off, and then on... and I learned that I could continue driving until the third time it came on. With the Fit's light if you don't keep track of when it came on you don't get as good an indication of how much fuel is left. And it keeps blaring at you.
Some older cars had less precise fuel level sensors - the low fuel light would tend to slowly illuminate. With the one in the Fit, you generally have 1-1.5 gallons left. Assume 25 mpg to stay on the side of safety, and that's 25-40 miles. But then, why would you want to run your fuel level down so far? It's bad for the fuel pump, and you'll end up sucking down any impurities that collect in the bottom of the tank, like coffee grounds that settle in the bottom of the pot.

3. Has anybody noticed that the steering wheel isn't round? I don't mean it's not a circle. What I mean is that the piece of steel that they bend into a circle to make into the steering wheel isn't a cylinder, it's sort of oval. I'm getting used to it but I found it weird when I test-drove the car and even after 1000 miles it seems strange.
The wheel seems to be mounted a bit off- center, with the radius to the top of the wheel being longer than to the bottom. You'll notice it as you turn it, the leverage is slightly better at 12 than 6. It seems pretty close to round though. Nothing is quite as goofy as the steering wheel in the Gen1 CRV, which was at a slight angle. You needed a left arm longer than your right.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wtf is wrong with you op?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
How is it 'bad for the fuel pump?'

Anyway where the fuel is pulled from is not at the exact bottom of the tank, so impurities will settle. How much fuel is above that doesn't seem particularly relevant except if you hit such a big bump that everything in the tank splashes around. But that would be a factor with 1/4 full tank as well.

As far as the wheel, I don't mean it's not a circle, I mean that what your hands wrap around isn't a circle. Take a metal rod, lay it flat, hit it with a hammer a few times-- so it's slightly flattened. Then bend it into a circle. That's what I mean.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 AM
My fixed for you would be:
1: remove bulbs from behind cluster.
2: same as above, or add fuel
3: swap or wheel for aftermarket of your liking.

People he is from NY. Nuff said there.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
I think replacing a steering wheel, with all the controls and airbag, is a bit much compared to getting used to an off-round wheel. It was just a comment- I've never noticed this on any other car I've driven (I'd guess probably fifty different models over the years).

As far as the bulbs- does the headlight light do anything other than tell you when the lights are on? Such as blink when something's burned out? Seems rather silly to have a light tell you when your lights are on, when you can just look at the turn signal stalk and see where the line is, or figure out that if your dash lighting is dim the lights are on, and if it's bright the lights are off. Or, of course, if you're driving at night and you have any doubts you can try turning the lights on, and if they're on it'll be pretty obvious when the knob won't turn. I'd prefer Honda to have used the space/cost to put in a real temp gauge instead of the idiot light (or probably a good idea would be to have a temp gauge in addition to the idiot light).

And yes, I'm well aware that putting gas in the tank turns off the low fuel light. I've actually put gas in the car a few times all by myself!

Re where I'm from, how about we stick to cars and not criticize each other for where they live, how much education they have, whether they've read the owner's manual, etc.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I was only poking bout NY. I was born there. Could not resist the gas comment sorry. Head light warning does not blink when bulb blows. Mine have blown and nothing changed. They are useless, so pulling bulbs would have no side effects. Lights even have a dinger if left on once door opens. So warning lights are useless. Does seem strange there is no temp gauge to me as well.
Again sorry for NY poke.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
I'd accept your apology except, you know, I'm from here. Apology is something I'm clearly not familiar with.

I think a warning light saying it's night and your lights are NOT on would make sense but then they'd have to have some sort of darkness sensor in the car. No idea why they'd put an indicator light that your lights are on.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
no idea why they put a stupid tpms light when it's after the fact. tell me BEFORE the tire psi is physically low, stupid car.

same goes for the SES and MIL lights. doesnt do me any good telling me my car is ill after it's ill. im already on the road. there should be sympotom sensors telling me exactly the state of mind (not health) of my car. cars are so stupid people should just walk. why does a car need gas anyway? i dont need to eat gas. stupid car.

maybe you can use some of that in your next comedy (your sig)?

Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
How is it 'bad for the fuel pump?'...
gas in your tank keeps your fuel pump from overheating. the pump won't fail after one low tank but continued instances will definitely cause premature failure.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:45 PM
I wish the hatchback would have a button to push to open on it's own instead of me manually opening it.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
the steering wheel is shaped that way because it's more ergonomic. the kidney bean shape fits more comfortably in your hand than the traditional shape.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
regarding the gas light, just take note of your mileage or set a new timer when it comes on. then track the actual miles. no big deal, just as accurate.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by susanlynn7
I wish the hatchback would have a button to push to open on it's own instead of me manually opening it.
I agree, especially when we don't have time to wash our FIT yet after snow, grime, salt and animal manure sticking onto the back hatch and we have to touch all those dirt to open the hatch back..... not that I am afraid of dirt.. just that after opening the hatch with grime on our hands, we are in the middle of our journey, without any access to tap water to wash our hands, and have to drive off and our dirty hands touched the steering wheel etc etc.... next time I eat a burger in the car, my hands touched the dirty steering wheel and increase changes of my hand touches my burger etc

need to buy a pre-moist diaper wipe in the FIT

Last edited by Ric01; 01-23-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Ric- wiping the hatch handle area with a baby arse wiper may make the hatch look cleaner, but may not be enough to kill the bacteria. i suggest you wear gloves and remove them when eating inside your car. even suggest bring hand sanitizers and dont drive while eating?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
gas in your tank keeps your fuel pump from overheating. the pump won't fail after one low tank but continued instances will definitely cause premature failure.
I'm not thinking so....

Old 01-24-2011, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I'm not thinking so....
2carpros.com How Fuel Pump Works
When Fuel Pumps Fail
There are a couple of reasons why your fuel pump will fail, be it electric or mechanical(blah, blah, blah)... Your vehicle’s fuel pump relies on fuel running through it to cool and lubricate it. Starving your fuel pump for fuel can cause your vehicle's fuel pump to fail prematurely. Mechanical fuel pumps usually rupture the diaphragm that is used as the pump, and will leak a small amount of fuel externally (from the weep hole) or just not have pressure....
years ago one of the socal fit owners burnt out his fuel pump because he ran the tank to empty. after he filled up at the next station he complained about a rough idle and intermittent stalling, eventually he sourced the problem to a failed/overheated fuel pump.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tself-off.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tart-help.html

doh, facepalm.jpg...
he doesn't post how he fixed his problem in the threads but, IIRC, he mentioned the issue at one of our meets... not saying that's the only cause for fuel pump failure or that you're doomed to buying a new fuel pump after driving with the fuel light on but it's better to be safe than sorry

Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 PM
For whatever it's worth, my wife just got a Scion xD and it also has an always-lit dashboard and the corresponding indicator light for the headlights.

Quick Reply: Minor petty things about my Fit