General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit unstable on highways, salesperson says....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Exactly what I was trying to say

Originally Posted by Andrew
That is the biggest lie I've heard so far. Drive it yourself on the highway. See for yourself. The car kicks massive ^&* on the highway.

They are trying to sell you a more Kaching-profitable car, like an SUV. Also remember the 5 star crash safety rating. The Fit rated 5 stars in side impact while big bad Chrysler minivan didn't because of no side airbags.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:33 PM
I drove my new Fit across the California desert this past weekend. Two lanes (1 each way), narrow, lots of big trucks, motor homes, towed boats going to Colorado River going 80+ MPH, 110+ degree heat creating dust devils which are very unpredictable. The 2 motor homes i was with had problems with wind all of the way home. I passed them and only had a few times that I had to grip the wheel with both hands. Just look ahead and be aware when you drive and no problems.
I bought the car because most of the roads I drive on are considered the worst in the United States (This was even in a Car Adv. a few years ago).

Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Because I was used to a bigger, thinner steering wheel in my heavy 85 Olds Delta 88, I felt the Fit power steering, rather my reaction to it, was the cause of cross-wind movement. But this was 2 days after I got the Fit and I now see it was my pendant to steering with my left arm on the arm rest and sort of lazy style.

Now my arms and reaction time have changed and when there is a cross-wind I use both hands and the weaving is almost gone.

So it was my style of driving that has changed, not the Fit. And the precise el. steering.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
To all those that are calling the dealer an idiot or a liar, I think you guys need to get off your Fit pedestals.

Yes it handles very well and I guess switching lanes faster than a Z06 really matters but the FITS ARE AFFECTED BY WINDS ON THE FREEWAY.

I agree with the dealer 100% as a matter of fact. I recently took the Fit up and down California and I would have to say that as nimble as the Fit is, the fact that it's super light can become a potential problem for beginning drivers. More than once, the Fit swerved when passing a trucks and as I was in the mountains, the cross winds EASILY pulled the car wherever it wanted to.

Yes, a competent driver can control it. Yes I am a competent driver and I did control the swerving. But the dealer was bringing up a good point. It's tall and light and it DOES swerve in the wind and I do think that for an inexperienced driver, it could be potentially "unsafe."

Now misfiringsystem, I am not talking about you and I don't know how much experience you have. For seriously, you guys need to chill out.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by bitterspeak
To all those that are calling the dealer an idiot or a liar, I think you guys need to get off your Fit pedestals.

Yes it handles very well and I guess switching lanes faster than a Z06 really matters but the FITS ARE AFFECTED BY WINDS ON THE FREEWAY.

I agree with the dealer 100% as a matter of fact. I recently took the Fit up and down California and I would have to say that as nimble as the Fit is, the fact that it's super light can become a potential problem for beginning drivers. More than once, the Fit swerved when passing a trucks and as I was in the mountains, the cross winds EASILY pulled the car wherever it wanted to.

Yes, a competent driver can control it. Yes I am a competent driver and I did control the swerving. But the dealer was bringing up a good point. It's tall and light and it DOES swerve in the wind and I do think that for an inexperienced driver, it could be potentially "unsafe."

Now misfiringsystem, I am not talking about you and I don't know how much experience you have. For seriously, you guys need to chill out.

I drive the gaviota pass on a regular basis and that is some of the highest winds in the area, I don't believe anyone said the car doesn't move around but it is absolutely no worse than our 04 accord, 93 accord 05 Frontier or my brothers altima. or most cars on the road. I would bet if you took any other car on the trip you would have posted the same thing.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kingdlx
I drive the gaviota pass on a regular basis and that is some of the highest winds in the area, I don't believe anyone said the car doesn't move around but it is absolutely no worse than our 04 accord, 93 accord 05 Frontier or my brothers altima. or most cars on the road. I would bet if you took any other car on the trip you would have posted the same thing.
I think that car weight and car height affects the way it responds. I can't say I have compared the Fit to an Accord but it definitely is worse than my WRX or my mother's Camry. And I can vouch for this personally.

But you're right in that I probably would've posted the same thing if this were another car if they were griping about this issue. But unfortunately, it was the people in this forum who couldn't stand their Fit being called "inferior."

Old 06-20-2006, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
I think that car weight and car height affects the way it responds. I can't say I have compared the Fit to an Accord but it definitely is worse than my WRX or my mother's Camry. And I can vouch for this personally.

But you're right in that I probably would've posted the same thing if this were another car if they were griping about this issue. But unfortunately, it was the people in this forum who couldn't stand their Fit being called "inferior."
iNFERIOR, THAT IS A BIG WORD. I AM I BELIVE THE GUY WHO HATES THE MOST THE PEOPLE ARGUING IN FORUMS ABOUT GOOD OR BAD CARS, BUT I HAVE TO ASK YOU... INFERIOR??? THE FIT IS THE PREMIUM B SEGMENT CAR. OVIOUSLY, IT WILL NOT HAVE IT ALL (eje.. power), BUT IS THE OVERALL PERFORMANCE OF THIS OGLY SON OF THE ODYSEEY WHAT MADE ME CHOOSE IT AND NOT WAIT FOR THE VERSA(I AM A NISSAN GUY, NOT HONDA GUY) SO, I HAVEN'T GOT ANY ISSUE, ON CONTRARY, IF I HAD MORE MONEY, I WOULD RIGHT AWAY USE THIS CAR FOR AUTO X, SOLO ONE AND STUFF, BECAUSE, THIS (BESIDE THE HOLLY MIATA), IS THE MOST FUN TO DRIVE CAR I COULD EVER AFFORD. SO IF IT HAS SUCH A WONDERFULL HANDLING, THEN IT SHOULD BE WONDERFULLY SAFE, PLUS THE 8 AIR BAGS AND THE ELECTRO NANNIES DONT HURT, RIGHT???

Old 06-20-2006, 09:57 AM
[quote=bitterspeak]I think that car weight and car height affects the way it responds. I can't say I have compared the Fit to an Accord but it definitely is worse than my WRX or my mother's Camry. And I can vouch for this personally.

But you're right in that I probably would've posted the same thing if this were another car if they were griping about this issue. But unfortunately, it was the people in this forum who couldn't stand their Fit being called "inferior."[/quot

Understood, everyone likes to qualify there purchase. and the fit is a tad worse than the accord but really its negligable. hope I spelled that correct.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=kingdlx]

But you're right in that I probably would've posted the same thing if this were another car if they were griping about this issue. But unfortunately, it was the people in this forum who couldn't stand their Fit being called "inferior."[/quot

Understood, everyone likes to qualify there purchase. and the fit is a tad worse than the accord but really its negligable. hope I spelled that correct.
Agreed. It's really not an important factor in a car purchase. But I guess it was "important" enough for the dealer to bring up.

Originally Posted by carlosalicea
iNFERIOR, THAT IS A BIG WORD. I AM I BELIVE THE GUY WHO HATES THE MOST THE PEOPLE ARGUING IN FORUMS ABOUT GOOD OR BAD CARS, BUT I HAVE TO ASK YOU... INFERIOR??? THE FIT IS THE PREMIUM B SEGMENT CAR. OVIOUSLY, IT WILL NOT HAVE IT ALL (eje.. power), BUT IS THE OVERALL PERFORMANCE OF THIS OGLY SON OF THE ODYSEEY WHAT MADE ME CHOOSE IT AND NOT WAIT FOR THE VERSA(I AM A NISSAN GUY, NOT HONDA GUY) SO, I HAVEN'T GOT ANY ISSUE, ON CONTRARY, IF I HAD MORE MONEY, I WOULD RIGHT AWAY USE THIS CAR FOR AUTO X, SOLO ONE AND STUFF, BECAUSE, THIS (BESIDE THE HOLLY MIATA), IS THE MOST FUN TO DRIVE CAR I COULD EVER AFFORD. SO IF IT HAS SUCH A WONDERFULL HANDLING, THEN IT SHOULD BE WONDERFULLY SAFE, PLUS THE 8 AIR BAGS AND THE ELECTRO NANNIES DONT HURT, RIGHT???
Are you being serious or sarcastic? The caps are throwing me off. In any case, I never said the Fit was "inferior." I merely said that people on this forum have a strong feeling against their car having deficits, even if they are minor ones. But I think the Fit is a great car. Interior is comfortable, the amenities and electronics compliment the style and the rest of the car, the handling and lightness of the car is something that makes the car extremely fun, and I just love how they tuned the engine to hide the lack of HP. It's a great deal for the money. And again, for the money, it's not suppose to be perfect. I was just stating that people need to calm down when they make a small negative claim about this car.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
kingdlx

yOURE RIGHT!!! I AM NOT A FANATIC EITHER SORRY IF IT SEEMS LIKE A HATE LETTER, THIS CAR DO HAVE SOME NEGATIVE SIDES, LIKE EVERYTHING. I THINK THAT THE MAJOR ISSUE HERE IS THE LACK OF POWER, AND THE TANK BEING SO SMALL ( BUT AGAIN THAT CARRIES LESS WEIGHT). SO AGAIN SORRY. HERE IS TO MAKE FRIENDS AND HAELP US TROWGH THE INFO EXCHANGE

[quote=bitterspeak]
Originally Posted by kingdlx

Agreed. It's really not an important factor in a car purchase. But I guess it was "important" enough for the dealer to bring up.

Are you being serious or sarcastic? The caps are throwing me off. In any case, I never said the Fit was "inferior." I merely said that people on this forum have a strong feeling against their car having deficits, even if they are minor ones. But I think the Fit is a great car. Interior is comfortable, the amenities and electronics compliment the style and the rest of the car, the handling and lightness of the car is something that makes the car extremely fun, and I just love how they tuned the engine to hide the lack of HP. It's a great deal for the money. And again, for the money, it's not suppose to be perfect. I was just stating that people need to calm down when they make a small negative claim about this car.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Ive help build a Crx hf and we strip that thing. it only had one seat and it was really lite. That thing was scarey at 130mph lsturbo. Ive done 115mph with my fit in chicago on the expressway and it felt pretty good. Ive also done clover leafs with it to and all around it was pretty stable.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carlosalicea
yOURE RIGHT!!! I AM NOT A FANATIC EITHER SORRY IF IT SEEMS LIKE A HATE LETTER, THIS CAR DO HAVE SOME NEGATIVE SIDES, LIKE EVERYTHING. I THINK THAT THE MAJOR ISSUE HERE IS THE LACK OF POWER, AND THE TANK BEING SO SMALL ( BUT AGAIN THAT CARRIES LESS WEIGHT). SO AGAIN SORRY. HERE IS TO MAKE FRIENDS AND HAELP US TROWGH THE INFO EXCHANGE
Agreed.