General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit unstable on highways, salesperson says....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by misfiringsystem
He said if I wanted a Fit, I would order it now and wait at least till October/November.
So order the fit with a refundable deposit and you have until it arrives in October to convince your parents it is the best choice.

I drive everyday at least twice a day and on the highway at least 6 days a week. The car peformes great and has more than enough power to have control in highway situations. Find the car and dribver article and the motortrend article and any other review that talk about how safe it is. Google Fit safety reviews. Hope it all works out.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by KenClunk
Find the car and dribver article and the motortrend article and any other review that talk about how safe it is.
If the link works, here is the May 2006 Article from Car and Driver:

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/...141_eprint.pdf

Good Luck!

Old 06-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by aywwsd
fit handles fine on the freeway at high speeds.

but comparing it to a z06 is just retarded.
Car and Driver compared the Fit to the Z06. It can pull an emergency lane change 6mph faster than the Z06. Just over 71mph. I have the article here at the dealership.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by ngoldberg
Car and Driver compared the Fit to the Z06. It can pull an emergency lane change 6mph faster than the Z06. Just over 71mph. I have the article here at the dealership.
I just posted the article in the thread right before yours.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
What does lane change speed have to do with crosswind stability?

And just because the Fit has a higher lane change speed than a Z06 doesnt really mean much. I mean yeah, its nice to know but thats about it.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:40 PM
"It can pull an emergency lane change 6mph faster than the Z06."

yeah, i pulled one at 75. There was a deer that had JUST been hit in the right lane. Its body was probably 3 inches higher than the front of my car. I YANKED it at the last second and the fit was perfect. That guy at that auto mall definitely had some alterior motives.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Worried parents are easily influenced. Most car salesmen (including the ones in the Honda showroom) don't know much about what they're selling. I have a Fit, and I've driven it through heavy rains and high winds (the edge of Tropical Storm Alberto), no problem! I had to drive a series of rentals while I was waiting for it after my old Honda wagon conked. I drove the Fit around the same corners, same conditions as similar sized cars, and bigger ones, and can say that the Fit handled better. Don't forget to show your dad the crash test reports and all the safety features that come standard!

Last edited by FondaFit; 06-18-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Fit does fine in wind and rain

Parents are easily influenced. Most car salesmen (including the ones in the Honda showroom) don't know much about what they're selling. I have a Fit, and I've driven it through heavy rains and high winds (the edge of Tropical Storm Alberto), no problem! I had to drive a series of rentals while I was waiting for my Fit after my old Honda wagon conked. I drove the Fit around the same corners, in same conditions as similar sized cars, and bigger ones, and can say that the Fit handled better. Don't forget to show your dad the crash test reports and all the safety features that come standard!

Old 06-18-2006, 01:04 PM
I'd like to know which salesman said this to you!!

Old 06-18-2006, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Ulterior motive

Originally Posted by Yuf
I'd like to know which salesman said this to you!!
At an auto mall they're selling just about anything. Sounds like a salesman trying to sell a bigger, heavier vehicle which also means a bigger commission.

Old 06-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Most of my driving is highway, and I haven't experienced any kind of those problems to date.

My Fit, sadly, is currently smashed and in the body shop so I'm in a crappy Pontiac uhhh Pursuit or something like that and it was breezy today and I was blowing all over the place. And Pontiacs are heavy.

Weight isn't everything. I find the Fit the be very aerodynamic. No highway issues for this Fit driver!!

Old 06-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Someone that Posts too much
I daily drive it to work at 80mph in the early morning and it's very very stable and quiet. Cross wind does affect it though because of the tall sides and being somewhat light, not because of the center of gravity. With a very strong crosswind you'll defenitely notice it, then again which car doesn't?

Old 06-18-2006, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
If the sales rep upsold you to the Civic, he would a) get his commission sooner (more stock) and b) get a larger one (although it will still be small)

Old 06-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by GoFit
I daily drive it to work at 80mph in the early morning and it's very very stable and quiet. Cross wind does affect it though because of the tall sides and being somewhat light, not because of the center of gravity. With a very strong crosswind you'll defenitely notice it, then again which car doesn't?
when i test drove the fit i noticed it was pushed around a lot more by wind than my old civic. probably because the fit is taller and has a larger profile vs crosswinds than the civic.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Was the salesguy drinking, or had he never driven the car before? The Fit is one sturdy little car that can hold its own on the road. Sure, it will come out on the losing end if you get in an accient with a semi, but it's a Honda. It's a safe car. I often joke that with all the airbags in the Fit, if I hit anything, my car will turn into a giant bubble.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I test-drove a Fit and a couple other cars in the class earlier this month. Highway crosswinds were more noticable than with my current car (a coupe) but not noticeably different from than the other tall hatchbacks. The Fit distinctly had the best steering feel at highway speeds; I'm pretty sure the power assist turns off at speed, and it's rock stable.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Exclamation

After driving a CRV for an extended highway commute for over a year, I can say from first hand experience that the FIT is much more planted in a cross wind than Honda's little SUV...

Old 06-19-2006, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ultimatecarman45
The Fit actually ran faster than the ZO6 in Car and Driver's lane change test and better than the ZO6 in Motor Trend's slolum testing. I also drive on the highways every other day and here in colorado we have windy days all the time (30-50 mph winds) I find that the Fit slices through the wind extremely well. It may have more surface area than many other smaller cars, but I also have a Dodge Ram 2500, a Kia Sedona, and a Mustang and they all are tossed about by our winds a bit more.

I bet the salesperson wanted to sell something sitting on the lot instead of Fit that they would have to order.

Yeah!! the sales guy just want to fit in your a***%$^s some other car just to make a sale of something more expensive or he really is a very dumb guy.
Anyway, tell your dad about the abs ebd and listen.... 8 air bags! plus the fit earn 5 stars in crash testing..... so use the facts not the gosip!

Old 06-19-2006, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
The fit is not light, it weighs as much as European 2.0l sedans of the 1960s and 1970s, and weighs a lot more than the old Civic/Sentra/Tercell/Swift of the 1990s.

The car is as stable as my 1992 Camry wagon.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:30 PM
That is the biggest lie I've heard so far. Drive it yourself on the highway. See for yourself. The car kicks massive ^&* on the highway.

They are trying to sell you a more Kaching-profitable car, like an SUV. Also remember the 5 star crash safety rating. The Fit rated 5 stars in side impact while big bad Chrysler minivan didn't because of no side airbags.

Quick Reply: Fit unstable on highways, salesperson says....