General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Help - Condensor noise cuts in and out when switching on fan and heat only

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Help - Condensor noise cuts in and out when switching on fan and heat only

I have been wondering since day one when I bought my 2010 FIT new that when I switched on the fan (fan only - without A/C), the condenser noise kicks in and out just like the condenser noise cutting in and out as if you switch on the A/C but the A/C is off.

Somehow, my condenser noise is activated when I switch on the fan/blower only, whether it was in the summer ( I tried to blow in fresh air) or winter (turning on heat). In both cases, my A/C is OFF.

Is this condenser cutting in and out noise normal?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
if your vent is set to windshield or windshield w/floor, it activates the AC (even if it doesn't tell you).

Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
What Goobers said is correct.. If the controller for the other vents is on the switch itself could be defective but I'll bet you have had it on the settings Goobers spoke of... There is a wire that runs from the A/C switch to a connection on the center control knob that can be removed to prevent the A/C from coming on when the defroster is on... You can turn on the A/C if the hot air from the defroster isn't defrosting the windshield and it will work in the same manner as it would if the wire was connected.... It can lower your fuel cost to.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
also, when the a/c is on, it's normal for the compressor to cycle on and off on it's own, at intervals.

it does get annoying when it's a super hot and muggy day, like over 95 degrees. you can feel the heat build up immediately when the compressor cycles itself off.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
also, when the a/c is on, it's normal for the compressor to cycle on and off on it's own, at intervals.

it does get annoying when it's a super hot and muggy day, like over 95 degrees. you can feel the heat build up immediately when the compressor cycles itself off.
They all do it. It's one of the reason Honda can boast better mileage figures..Polaski has a thread that explains how to install a potentiometer and resistor to the thermistor and turn a Fit into a rolling meat locker... I think about doing it during the summer when it is too hot and confining to crawl under the dash and right now it's cold and confining down there...

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 01-07-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks all. Yes, it says in the owners manual Page 112 exactly what Goobers mentioned.

Stupid me!, I had been merrily using the defroster to blow fresh air (with the assumption that the aircon is off) but I WAS TOTALLY WRONG...!!
I should have read my owners manual since day one. I have wasted fuel for 4 months since I bought the FIT when I unknowingly turn on the aircon using the defroster dial without pressing on the aircon button. I was assuming that I can use the defroster like I did on my old Accord without switching on the A/C..

I should have suspected something was wrong when I hear the condenser kicked in after I turn the defroster dial

Geez!!! Pretty frustrated with myself

Thanks to all again

Old 01-08-2011, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
The heat and A/C systems on these thing are insane.. Crimson Cardnal explained how they work to me, I have also read up on them in my shop manual only to sit scratching my head and mutter to myself.