General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

potential buyer worries

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 PM
potential buyer worries

Hi there, I am looking for a new vehicle and after researching the fit I have some concerns that I think some of y'all can put to rest.
1. I live in a complex and area with a lot of speed bumps and steep inclines....is this something to worry about (I'm looking at the Fit Sport without the navigation)?
2. Does it worry anyone else that the gas tank is under the passenger seat?
3. How does it handle on the highway--do y'all like the pedal shifters on the automatic?

I drive a small truck right now and I don't want to lose the cargo space---the space in the fit is about the same as my truck bed. I've never had a new car before and if I spend the money on this it has to last at least the 5 years while I'm paying on it. I did have an accord for 14 yrs, so I know a Honda will last, but the Fit is more in my price range right now.

I'll take any thoughts on the speed bumps/inclines with the Sport model (after reading some reviews I am petrified to get stuck on a speed bump).

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
at stock height, the speed bumps should be no problem. the wheel base is short too, so that i end up sitting both axles on it anyways. at most the front splitter would scrape or scratch at super steep driveways.

gas tank being under the seat is still safer than right under the rear bumper where someone can rear end you and cause a fire.

it handles better than some sports cars and i have let a few of my friends who have sports cars say that when i let them drive it. I love the paddle shifters because it gives me the control to squeeze every last drop of power out of this engine without having to sacrifice the ease and comfort of an automatic especially in traffic. I use it to downshift to pass on the highway and to slow the car down faster on slippery surfaces.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 PM
poseidon_92, understand your worries.....

1) My complex has 4 speed bumps and I usually go over it with extremely low speeds. - no problem... I think for sedan cars, BMW, etc we were to go slow to negotiate speed bumps to preserve our shock absorbers, wheel alignment etc unless you have a jeep or off road vehicle with ruggardize suspensions which you can speed and jump over speed bumps like no body's business.

The FIT clearance is OK with my speed bumps. How high are the speed bumps in your complex. However, each time my FIT goes slowly over the speed bumps I hear the fuel in the gas tank underneath me swirling around with brings us to your second point

2) My initial thought was fear when, during quiet places like garage, I can hear the swirling and sloshing sound of fuel in the gas tank underneath my seat. This discussed in detail in another thread. It is OK.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ng-around.html

As discussed in this thread, sometimes one may argue that having the gas tank at the back of the car is not safe either because if you are rammed severely from behind, there will be increased chances of impact to the fuel tank at the back that may result in tank rupture. If the fuel tank is below you, there is more clearance room from your back bumper to where the FIT fuel tank is.. anyway this are all just theories and conjuncture - subject to further argument....for the sack of discussion

3) Highway is great but I can't comment on paddle shifters because I don't have one. Hobbes87 had a great answer for you on this

Last edited by Ric01; 01-04-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
there's no way you're going to bottom out on a speed bump. ive gone over a steep one in my complex at 12 mph without incident.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks everyone! I am going to test drive one today...and I'm gonna look for some steep inclines and speed bumps.
I drive a Ford Ranger now, and the speed bumps in my parking lot are murder. I guess it would be more accurate to call them speed curbs. That is my main concern right now..why buy a car if you can't do everyday driving...right. Where I work is entirely on a steep incline, so that concerns me during inclement weather (I live in Ft Worth where in the area I'm in most of the roads are still brick--which is cause for concern with any vehicle in the rain).

I've never driven a standard....so I guess I better learn how to use paddle shifters if I get one; seems like it maximizes what the little car can do.

I guess it's all going to come down to the test drive (or drives)--cause if I'm gonna spend the money and have this for a while I want to make sure I feel safe it (after being so high up for years it'll take some getting used to).

Thanks again! Anyone have anything they dont like about it....cause I just assume it's a Honda so there aren't too many flaws.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't have any issues w/speed bumps @ stock height i do go over them slow cuz i hate them though.

Honda wouldn't have put the gas tank there if they didn't think it was safe, so I trust honda on that one. Besides it's normally under the rear seat, and like other people have said would be closer to a rear end collision. So honestly its probably in the safest spot it could be on our cars.

I hear the gas slosh around, but only when the radio is off and i'm coming to a stop.. so no biggy.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
>1. I live in a complex and area with a lot of speed bumps and steep inclines....is this something to worry about (I'm looking at the Fit Sport without the navigation)?

take the bumps and ramps on an angle and you should be fine. i've yet to scrape my 09 in stock form.

>2. Does it worry anyone else that the gas tank is under the passenger seat?

only if it's on fire. hahaha. no issue. actually it's safer than having it at the back of the car where it can get rear ended and then ckra

>3. How does it handle on the highway--do y'all like the pedal shifters on the automatic?

it handles okay for a narrow car. it doesn't like strong crosswind like on your truck probably. im not a fan of the paddle shifters as it spins with the steering wheel. i'd keep it in Drive and just use the paddles to downshift before a turn. my wife uses my 09 mostly so i dont really care, my 08 is MT.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
If your "speed curbs" are murder on a Ford Ranger, it can only be worse on the Fit (unless you were simply taking them too fast for any car).

What most people consider "standard" is actually the manual transmission. Automatic transmission (as popular as it is) is still listed by manufacturers as an "option" over manual.

Inclement weather and steep inclines? If you get the Fit, first thing I suggest (the day you drive off the dealer lot even) is WIDER tires with VERY GOOD ratings in dry and rain. Get as much grip as possible.

Despite my comment in another thread, I wouldn't worry about the gas tank... afterall, I did buy a Fit too!

Kenchan, speed bumps in different places vary. Near "New" Chinatown in Chicago, there are a few bumps that are high, but really wide, so it's a gradual rise and you won't scrape and only feels like a slight bump in the road. However, in the north suburbs, the bumps are lower, but also much shorter. So if you go at the same speed over this bump as you could over the former bumps, it would feel like slamming into a curb. Then your front end you rise in reaction and slam itself back down.

Luckily, I felt it in the Pathfinder (with it's higher clearance), so I knew what to expect in the Fit... and took them slower.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by poseidon_92
Thanks everyone! I am going to test drive one today...and I'm gonna look for some steep inclines and speed bumps.
Good luck in your test drive. One thing that I initially not got used to in test driving the FIT is I pressed my foot on the gas pedal too hard, just like I did on my old accord and the FIT engine does not like it, it growled back at me at higher than normal rev in protest. I guess, (correct me if I am wrong), FIT throttle is a drive_by-wire, and the tension on the gas pedal is lighter, so I am now used to going gentle on the gas pedal.... .. also, the FIT engine kicks into higher rev more when going uphill compared to my old accord.

The FIT, being a small car with smaller hp engine may likely make you feel that it has less power than your truck and that's when the decision and argument starts to run through your mind... less power but... more fuel savings and if you don't need the full power and utility of your truck, you will enjoy fuel savings in the FIT.

Some folks in another thread compared that they are spending $100 per full tank for their Tahoe for every 300 miles and after switching to the FIT, it only costs them about $35 to $38 per fill up and will also last 300 miles!! He is saving about $3,000 per year in fuel alone !!

Last edited by Ric01; 01-05-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
Good luck in your test drive. One thing that I initially not got used to in test driving the FIT is I press my foot on the gas pedal too hard, just like I did on my old accord and the FIT engine does not like it, it growl back at me at higher than necessary rev in protest. I guess, (correct me if I am wrong), FIT throttle is a drive by wire, the tension on the gas pedal is lighter.... .. also, the FIT engine kicks into higher rev more when going uphill compared to my old accord
It went to the higher rev because it actually downshifted.

OMG, it's a pain in the ass to use an iPod to post on forums. I somehow managed to hit submit when I was just trying to prevent the autocorrect from changing downshifted to downwinders.

In any case, the Fit actually likes the higher revs. Rev away!

Last edited by Goobers; 01-05-2011 at 09:05 PM.