General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

moving to NY..wat to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Haaaaaapenis!
5 Year Member
moving to NY..wat to expect?

ok so like the title says im moving to upstate new york..and my fit has never seen any roads other than the ones in Florida...so my questions would be..what are the roads like...is it possible to drive with a lowered car or should i raise it back up to stock....how is it driving in the snow? althought ive been told the streets get plowed every morning..umm...other than that..any info u can give me on my fit in newyork conditions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Here in New York, we have a lot of angled intersections and potholes which might be an issue with a lowered Fit. I expect the pothole situation to get worse, as the state is nearly bankrupt. Generally, roads are plowed and salted very heavily, but can be icy or snow covered at times during bad weather. My Fit handles the winter roads up here in fine shape with the stock all-season radials, but then, I have 42 years of experience driving in winter weather.

Take it easy until you get some experience with snow, and you should be fine.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Here in New York, we have a lot of angled intersections and potholes which might be an issue with a lowered Fit. I expect the pothole situation to get worse, as the state is nearly bankrupt. Generally, roads are plowed and salted very heavily, but can be icy or snow covered at times during bad weather. My Fit handles the winter roads up here in fine shape with the stock all-season radials, but then, I have 42 years of experience driving in winter weather.

Take it easy until you get some experience with snow, and you should be fine.
+1

I am in Western Mass with a totally stock Fit and she handles the snow well enough and have never been stuck. But like Gary, I have many, many years of experience driving in the snow. Take it slow. A lot of people with either snow tires or a 4x4 get a false sense of invincibility.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Bring your kidney belt, just joking. I would go back to stock unless your back can handle it. I've seen too many lowered cars with torn spoilers and broken belly pans.

Potholes are a nightmare and get a good set of wheel locks, I found my fit on a set of blocks one morning.

be prepared to bump and park when visiting NYC so your bumpers will get pitted.

besides all of this welcome to NY.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
i second and third what the others said. i am not lowered and i do ok with the snow (but i just got new all-seasons). these other guys have more experience than me but this last blizzard devastated everybody. the days when it is really bad, everyone stays home until the roads get plowed anyways. but when others are on on the road, the fit handles the snow just fine. might want to raise your height a touch or get snow tires depending on how important it is to drive when it is snowing.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I moved up to Syracuse to attend school and my fit is just loving the winter weather. I would recommend all-season or snow tires as well as raising to stock since that's the combination I'm working with and have not had a problem.

Driving in the snow is a blast once you get the hang of it.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sentra92xe
ok so like the title says im moving to upstate new york..and my fit has never seen any roads other than the ones in Florida...so my questions would be..what are the roads like...is it possible to drive with a lowered car or should i raise it back up to stock....how is it driving in the snow? althought ive been told the streets get plowed every morning..umm...other than that..any info u can give me on my fit in newyork conditions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED
It all really depends where upstate your moving, some places are better than others, but the majority of NY roads just are not great, lots of potholes, uneven surfaces and especially where I live on the island, almost every ramp somewhere is at an unneccesary angle to the road. That being said, it cant hurt to raise to stock.

I just got pounded here on the island and my fit handled like a charm at stock height with 205/40/17 all season nexens.

I used to go to school in buffalo and it would have faired just as well up there. but theres no way i wouldnt have had a blowout there, roads were riddled with potholes and construction almost nonstop.

Good luck with your move.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Invest in a bumper bully, touch up paint, and have some ice melt and a shovel capable or breaking ice handy...the fit is decent in the snow but you will get stuck from time to time...i just got stuck going into the driveway on a downhill.

also when visiting nyc, fold those side mirrors...

Old 12-28-2010, 12:52 PM
All this talk of city, not sure what part of upstate you'll be in but the parts I'm familiar with are far from city. The roads weren't fantastic, but they were navigatable.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
OMFG thats awful! clearly these people never took physics

Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
oh, invest in a good winter jacket and gloves...

Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Much depends on where you are locating. I'd get wheel locks if I was living in a big city and parking on the street. I haven't got them yet because I live in a tiny village (pop. 800), and park in a garage at night.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I have been thinking of getting wheel locks as well to protect the 16" sports alloy rims after hearing all the horror stories in this forum... but do you all think I need the locks in Seattle if I parked in Hotel outside parking lot overnight?

Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Haaaaaapenis!
5 Year Member
im moving to fort drum new york which i hear is about 30min from watertown and like maybe an hr from syracuse..im in the army which is reason im makin the move up to NY

Old 01-02-2011, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sentra92xe
im moving to fort drum new york which i hear is about 30min from watertown and like maybe an hr from syracuse..im in the army which is reason im makin the move up to NY
In that case i would definitely raise your car up, maybe not to stock but def higher than u have it. That area is cleared quickly if it snows and such but the roads take a beating from the weather.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:22 PM
If you know how to drive and are aware of the roads and don't hit the pot holes head on you'll be fine. Absolutely no need to raise your car. I went to school up in Binghamton (about 40min from syracuse) with my lowered integra and I had no problems at all. Hell I drive my ITR in NYC sometimes with no problem at all and those roads are shit.