General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

When did your Fit have its first Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HFit USA
had mine done at 5800 for free since was first time at the dealer and boy did they F*** up royaly!!!! beth they were not to happy after i called them!! Anyways 2hrs later im going tot he mall hear something hit the undercarriage didnt think to much of it, I look up and see white smoke and i think aw S*** pull over right away. The guy that changed my oil didnt tighten the drian plug all the way and the sound under the car was the plug and my fits oil all over the under side and on the back of the car *shakes fist!!!*... yeah i was pretty mad and sad i didnt want my car to die its to young!!! lol....anywas cant always trust the dealer to do a good job.....
how infuriating! I'd be telling them to order me a new car but I don't think they'd go for it...
arrrrgh!

Old 07-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by revs to 9
what's with the 15% and 85% talk? doesn't the indicator go in increments of 10?
If I'm remembering right from what I read in the manual, it goes:

100%... 90%... 80%... 70%... 60%... 50%... 40%... 30%... 20%... 15%... 10%... 5%... 0%

After that it starts listing negative miles (I guess so the shop knows just how much you've been neglecting your poor car, or something).

I haven't changed the oil yet on mine, but then again I've had it less than a week and haven't had to refill the gas tank either.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
well this happened ysterday so depending on how it goes from there then they will buy me a new fit!!!, lol but we'll see guys!

Old 07-23-2006, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Be careful dealing with them. You might have bigtime damage. They might slap the engine together and try to give it back to you. DONT accept it. You want another car/engine!!!

Old 07-24-2006, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coldstorage5
Be careful dealing with them. You might have bigtime damage. They might slap the engine together and try to give it back to you. DONT accept it. You want another car/engine!!!
they should be able to replace that motor with a brand new one. I would not expect problems. Sorry to here the news. It seems they would have a check list that they sign off. If they are profesionals they would not just sign stuff they did not do.... Does a second person have to check work done? I am not the brightest but I dont miss that kind of stuff and why would some one else not get it correct?

Old 07-24-2006, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
3 months from date of purchase today I hit 7,178 miles and the oil life is at 5%. I put in Honda 5w20 oil and a Honda filter. Very simple job, realized I didn't even have to jack up the car to do it. It took 4 quarts to fill it up after draining it. By my estimates, 0% would have been at 7500 miles.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
You must be pretty skinny? how the heck do you do access the oil pan without having to jack the car up? I will be using those Gorilla Ramps. Nice and easy.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Someone that Posts too much
you can do it without jacking up the car..

-joe

Old 08-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I have over 5400kms on mine in 6.5 weeks, oil life is at 60%. It seems to be dropping by 10% increments every 1400kms or so the way I'm driving it.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Someone that Posts too much
mine drop 20% in a week

-joe

Old 08-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
What are you doing, driving like an F1 driver?!?!?!?

Old 08-06-2006, 07:18 AM
I did my oil change at 4583 miles with the indicator at 5%. I used Honda brand 5W-20 motor oil.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think Honda has their own brand of motor oil. When I received a letter from my dealer for an oil change discount, on their ad, it indicated Castrol GTX. And for the same price of doing an oil change (or less), you can do it yourself using Synthetic and a quality filter. Even top Synthetics such as Castrol or Mobil 1 runs at $6 per bottle, making it $24.00 for 4 quarts. You can purchase a quality filter at http://www.fleetfilter.com for about $4.00.

For the most part, I've been buying Motorcraft Synthetic-Blend 5-20 at Walmart for about $2.25 per quart. If I could find Havoline in 5-20 anywhere, I would use that. Once I hit 5-6k miles, then go full synthetic. Penzoil Platinum (full synthetic) always shows up at Pep Boys for about $2.00 / quart after mail in rebate.

Last edited by fm2n; 08-06-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by fm2n
I don't think Honda has their own brand of motor oil.
Mobil makes the motor oil for Honda. The part numer is 08798-9023. I'll take pics of the container and post it up asap.

Edit: I do my own oil changes. With my old EK i used Mobil1 5W-30 syn motor oil and Fram filters (my auto shop teacher used Fram so I'll use it lol). With the Fit, I'll use Honda motor oil and Honda Filter.

Last edited by Papichat; 08-06-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
I got mixed messages at the dealer where I bought my Fit. After a lot of controversy on the Forum about when to do the first oil change, I called the service dept. I was told to bring it in when the maintenance minder said about 10% (don't let it get to 5%). He said to trust the maintenance minder and the manual -- that Honda engineers know what they're doing. I spent a long time sitting in the waiting room on a Saturday, got my Fit back, and was astonished to see the usual sticker on the windshield telling me to bring it back after another 3,000 miles. (First oil change at 7,400) Either they slap the sticker on routinely without considering what you're driving, or the Service Dept. isn't training their mechanics.

Incidentally, for those of you who don't do your own oil changes, do you feel comfortable taking your Fit to any 10-minute oil change location? My trusted mechanic doesn't work on Saturdays and I don't want to take time off from work just for O&F.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Retired Moderator
Got my first oil change yesterday at 6280km. Had 15% oil life left.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FondaFit
I got mixed messages at the dealer where I bought my Fit. After a lot of controversy on the Forum about when to do the first oil change, I called the service dept. I was told to bring it in when the maintenance minder said about 10% (don't let it get to 5%). He said to trust the maintenance minder and the manual -- that Honda engineers know what they're doing. I spent a long time sitting in the waiting room on a Saturday, got my Fit back, and was astonished to see the usual sticker on the windshield telling me to bring it back after another 3,000 miles. (First oil change at 7,400) Either they slap the sticker on routinely without considering what you're driving, or the Service Dept. isn't training their mechanics.

Incidentally, for those of you who don't do your own oil changes, do you feel comfortable taking your Fit to any 10-minute oil change location? My trusted mechanic doesn't work on Saturdays and I don't want to take time off from work just for O&F.
Well, thats the thing. For those that don't do their own oil change; SHOULD! It is not rocket science. A pair of ramps for 30 bucks, drive your car up to it. Get under there, unscrew and allow the oil to drain, rescrew. Remove oil filter, make sure rubber gasket is removed and not stuck to engine. Rescrew new oil filter, refill oil.. Done.

Oil changes are a market in themselves. The more you return, the more money they make. I'd say, do the research and come to your best conclusions. There is enough evidence out there to prove that running 7,500 miles off synthetic is possible, and even 15,000 miles on some engines. The only reason that most people want to change out their oil sooner on new engines is to get rid of the silicone that holds the engine during delivery and engine particle shavings that are produced during break-in.

I personally don't feel comfortable with anyone else touching my car unless it is absolutely neccessary. I've had techs work on my car and did a great job, but in the process used my bumper as a foot stool to rest their leg. Or ones who jump in and out of the car to start it with dirty hands, so you end up with grease all over the steering wheel. Not only that, I like to know what I'm putting into my car.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Retired Moderator
I'd do my own oil changes if Honda were to charge me, but I get 5 years free oil changes, so I'll let them do it for me hahaha...I think I will go to synthetics next time around and get some Motul or Mobil 1 instead of their oil.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
I'd do my own oil changes if Honda were to charge me, but I get 5 years free oil changes, so I'll let them do it for me hahaha...I think I will go to synthetics next time around and get some Motul or Mobil 1 instead of their oil.
I'm guessing 5 years oil change, providing you meet their approved interval? 7.5k miles? non-synthetic? If not, I'd be in there every 3k miles for an oil change just for the hell of it.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
When I changed my oil/filter, I saved my original filter- I only did so because I wanted to be able to compare it to one that I could buy just like it. Does anyone know where you can get that exact same oil filter?

Quick Reply: When did your Fit have its first Oil Change?