General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

GPS Mounting Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
GPS Mounting Suggestions?

On my previous car I simply used the suction cup mount at the bottom of the windshield. But the long, sloping windshield on the Fit puts the GPS too far from the driver. And since the top of the dash is textured the suction cup won't stick there.

I know I can put it on the small front window but that's not convenient either. And it can also stick to some parts of the upper glove box, but that's also not convenient.

Anybody have suggestions? My GPS is an old Garmin one- the deep ones that are shaped like old CRT televisions (it's not a newer one that's essentially flat).

(and if you're planning to say "Why didn't you search the forum before posting?" please note that I tried but GPS is apparently too few characters to search for)

Old 12-18-2010, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is mounted under the rear view mirror with a suction cup. The charging wire is hardwired though.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know if this would work with every GPS. Mine is a Garmin Nuvi. After experimenting with several locations and methods I discovered that I could use the bean bag mount, shoved into the cubby hole underneath the 12 volt outlet and below the center console. To me? It's absolutely perfect. most of the bean bag is hidden in the cubby hole, the GPS is in a very viewable location for me, BUT almost totally hidden in the dark at night and not readily visible to anyone passing. If I want? It's totally removable. A little of the bean bag mount comes forward over the two cup holders...which I seldom used anyway...but I have found that even with that, I can still fit a cup in..and the bean bag even helps keep that secure.

So IMO it's a great location to put the GPS. I also hide the cord in the same cubby hole and when I need to plug it in...I can cleanly just plug it in because everything is right next to the outlet.

It took me several months to discover this location just because I thought the GPS would never be able to get signal...but at least with my Nuvi, it seem to aquire the signal and hold it just fine.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Have my Garmin Nuvi suction cup mounted on the small side window & had it hard wired for about $70. Work's great.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
the cubby hole underneath the 12 volt outlet and below the center console.

So IMO it's a great location to put the GPS. I also hide the cord in the same cubby hole and when I need to plug it in...I can cleanly just plug it in because everything is right next to the outlet.
This, but my beanbag mount didn't fit, so I used the "dash disk" that came with it and stuck it to the removable panel above the cup holders, below the hvac controls. Then just turn the suction cup mount upside down and stuck it there. I wish mine had fit with a beanbag mount...

Old 12-18-2010, 11:27 PM
I had the same problem. In past cars I was able to get a long goose neck suction cup would that basically squeezes the sides, but since you have the old version they probably aren't deep enough. What I have in the fit now is just one of the sandbag/friction pad. It works great even when take a hard corner at speed. You just use your suction cup mount and attach it to the friction pad. This way you can put it anywhere on the dash and have it close enough. Also I like it because I just pick the whole thing up and stash it when I park in bad neighborhoods. No suction cup left on the window telling a would-be criminal that there is a GPS in the car.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 AM
This location is where I would suggest to mount the portable GPS's.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 AM
I just posted this in another thread.. anyways i mounted mine down here. I just double-sided taped the plastic suction mount down there and use the suction cup on it.

the other thread the person mention how their previous one was stolen as it was mounted on the dash/windshield. I keep mine down here as it's 'out of sight and out of mind' of thieves.

plus theres no running wires around

Name:  sdfjhn-1.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  80.0 KB

Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
I use my iphone and a generic iphone mount clipped on the vent, in the middle, on the lefthand side. Works pretty well for me. What was killing me was the vibrating, I cannot stand a GPS that vibrates, and the window mount one seemed to vibrate a bit.

Can anyone comment on the use of suction cups on the corner window if you have it tinted? Is it safe to put a suction cup on a tinted window?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, just mount it on the side glass in the a-pillar like black did. not good for gps to be down low. too distracting and takes your eyes off the road.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Pooks
What I have in the fit now is just one of the sandbag/friction pad. It works great even when take a hard corner at speed. You just use your suction cup mount and attach it to the friction pad. This way you can put it anywhere on the dash and have it close enough. Also I like it because I just pick the whole thing up and stash it when I park in bad neighborhoods. No suction cup left on the window telling a would-be criminal that there is a GPS in the car.
I am doing exactly the same thing as Pooks for my Nuvi 775T in my FIT for exactly the same reasons Pooks described.