General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Was this You? Interstate 70 heading West?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Was this You? Interstate 70 heading West?

Fit with Red JDM rear badge?

In Missouri, I think. Saw this Fit on my way back to Colorado about 2 weeks ago. I was the Tidewater Blue Fit

Old 10-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I've got the red badges but I know it wasn't me ;-) Trip went well??

Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Yes-- except for a speeding ticket I just received cerified mail from Illinois-- photo radar.. they said I must appear in court in november--no way I can be there. Will post a thread on what to do... Yikes

Old 10-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Ooops - that would explain why you thought you saw that Fit in Missouri, you were really in Illinois and still going too fast.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Funny but I am now having a FIT & FREAKING out!!
I found some phone numbers for them, so hope I can talk to them and get out of court appearance. I will grovel if necessary.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Grovel if you must, but I'm sure they have a very 'friendly' way of getting out of stater's money. What are they hitting you up for?

I got one of those on the Mass Pike. Option was pay up or NEVER drive in Mass again - I paid because Mass is right next door. When you going though Illinois again?

Old 10-02-2010, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
There is NO option to pay--must attend court box is checked. It is photo radar, I was not stopped by police. I did not slow down in time in "work zone" although there were no people out working. 73 mph in 55 mph zone.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:39 PM
There should be a number to call with questions. That is odd, cause generally you only appear in court to contest the charge/ticket.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
they probable want you to show in Court because you where doing 73 in a work zone. Hopefully if you call them you can talk them into letting you pay a fine.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 PM
73 in a 55 work zone is what they are after. Here in NY, as else where I'm sure, it's taken seriously.

It is, however, an unreasonable demand of the court to compel you to appear in court on a traffic violation. How many miles? It's crazy.

You'll need to talk with a court clerk and explain your position, 'guilty - unable to appear'. Take it from there.
On-line looking will get you a number.

Most likely wont be the first number you find, however, with automated systems you might not have a choice.

You will not jeopardize the position you're in, you're making a first instance inquiry to get the courts facts as they apply to you're position.

Not sure but in NY it's a fine + court fees and then a surcharge [$300??] payable lump sum or over 3 years - the amount of time the mark stays on your license.

If you have a lawyer friend's friend - any type of lawyer - now's the time to call them if it looks anything like they'll transfer the violation to Colorado.

Good luck.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
2 weeks ago? hell, i dont remember wat i was doing 2 days ago. lol

Old 10-03-2010, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks Krimson-- I did an internet search and found some numbers for the court. Will call Monday morning. Thing that makes me angry is I had been drving since around 7 am---took one break and tried to stop at 2 rest areas in Illinois, but they were CLOSED!! (according to the ticket it occurred around 1 pm)
I do not plan to drive through or visit Illinois again. It was the only state (I drove through that actually had most of their rest areas on the interstate
closed.
I do have a friend who is a lawyer and will ask her for help if needed. But hopefully they will just want my money and not make me appear for a traffic violation that I do not want to contest.

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
73 in a 55 work zone is what they are after. Here in NY, as else where I'm sure, it's taken seriously.

It is, however, an unreasonable demand of the court to compel you to appear in court on a traffic violation. How many miles? It's crazy.

You'll need to talk with a court clerk and explain your position, 'guilty - unable to appear'. Take it from there.
On-line looking will get you a number.

Most likely wont be the first number you find, however, with automated systems you might not have a choice.

You will not jeopardize the position you're in, you're making a first instance inquiry to get the courts facts as they apply to you're position.

Not sure but in NY it's a fine + court fees and then a surcharge [$300??] payable lump sum or over 3 years - the amount of time the mark stays on your license.

If you have a lawyer friend's friend - any type of lawyer - now's the time to call them if it looks anything like they'll transfer the violation to Colorado.

Good luck.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Back here NYS is closing truck stops along highways. Truckers are up in arms. Blame the economy, but it's always the folks who need that get screwed.

I think you'll work it through. A quick call to your friend might find her making that call in your behalf - could be more effective. certainly worth the try. Did you get to a White Castle - no trip east is worth it without one ;-)

Old 10-03-2010, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
soosnd, You should get a break on the fine by telling them that you are going to take a defensive driving course and taking it will also lower your insurance premium on your car... After taking the course the folks that give the test will either mail the paper work to the agency that issued the ticket or to you so you can send it.. Send another copy to your insurer for something like a 10% discount.... I did this 2 years ago for a 76 in a 60 MPH.. I was just getting ready th shift into 4th gear when I saw the state cop on a farm to market road.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
Every time I have gotten a speeding ticket, it is because I am tired and not paying full attention. I would have stopped at one of those rest stops... oh well. Will see what happens after the call.

Sometimes I wonder if courts resent it if you have a lawyer intercede.
Many years ago I had to go to court for a speeding ticket in Westminster Colorado--they had stopped many people in a zone where the speed limit dropped from 65 to 55 & the one lawyer who came to represent someone (person was not there) and negotiate the ticket got slammed for the full amount. Mine and others' tickets were reduced for having a"good attitude" ..

Last edited by sooznd; 10-03-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:23 AM
At my age I've gotten speeding tickets for all sorts of reasons, but it always boils down to me going too fast LOL

I can tell you that what the court does not like is anyone wasting their time or insulting their house. I never insulted them, but once or twice I got really close to wasting their time. Any good attorney will know the ropes, certainly one who knows you personally. I would make the personal call first if it were me to find out what I was up against - then call in the guns if needed.

You've summed it up in your last sentence - a call to the court should project your humbleness and respect. The only thing to explain is the fact that you're a plane flight away. If you keep it simple and stay on point the clerk will provide you with a sensible solution. I can only imagine they have dealt with this before.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Wink Could be worse

Years back, late one night, my buddie and I are driving somewhere in France trying to find a road to Paris. I pull off the motorway exit into a small village thinking it's the way to go. Next thing we see is a full uniformed gendarme standing in the middle of the road. We thought boarder crossing?? but that made no sense. Well he takes off in French and I say I don't speak it and need someone who knows English. this other guy comes over and explains we exited too fast. Next question was how much money did we have! I then go into a portable trailer they had set up - this is a sleepy little village - and get told that we either pay 500francs or they impound the car and we wait till Monday to talk to a judge. It's late Saturday night. We pull our francs together - not enough - they offer us and exchange rate on the dollar and essentially rob us at both ends.

Those guys actually wear white patten leather accessories, funny hats and guns - automatic type guns.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
At my age I've gotten speeding tickets for all sorts of reasons, but it always boils down to me going too fast LOL
Yeah I have to agree that was what I was doing for sure
but it usually happens when I am tired.....

Regarding your "highway robbery" in France. In some countries, they would have thrown you in jail--so I guess being ripped off by police in white patten leather " golf shoes" ain't the worst.

When I was in Illinois I was visiting some relatives-- they told me Illinois economy is bad----my brother-in-law said it was as in debt as California. So I figure I will be doing my part to improve their economy....I'd rather pay a larger fine than have to spend the money & time flying out there.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Can't argue 'bout the economy, things are tough all over.

What continuously gets me is how we continuously pay so someone else can continue to spend and it isn't us - oh yea, I'm wrong. It is us?????

Be sure to vote............ tiered of hearing that one too. If only it really would make a difference. sigh, ever get the feeling you were on the wrong end of the stick?

The French were very diplomatic, they were only going to put our car in jail - HA.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
For some unexplainable reason, I have had this nagging feeling that the votes have been counted and tallied long before election day.

Quick Reply: Was this You? Interstate 70 heading West?