General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Winter is just a few months away... Snow tires.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
.... sigh... Time to purchase some snow tires. Do you guys buy just the 2 front snow tires or 4 snow tires? I have to admit that the Honda Fit is terrible in snow and this is due to my experience of getting stucked about 3 times last winter storm. The Fit is too light to ride on thick snow.
Unless you're wanting actual full-blown snow tires, try these:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Click on the "Surveys" tab under the tire pick for ratings.

I don't have them yet (going to buy them soon), but I know a few who have and say they are awesome.

Of course, I don't know whether they'd be nearly as good as full-blown snow tires... but people seem to do really well with them in the snow, in all types of vehicles. The Tire Rack guys recommend them too.

The best of a combination (all season) tire.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
^ ^ ^

Oh, sorry... I posted before seeing your last post!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you guys are looking to get steelies (black basic wheels) for your snows, get them soon cause tire shops could run out of stock come nov.

happened to me last year.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
i have winterforce tires, I drive about 100-125 miles a day with work and had no issues. They're cheap and good

Old 10-28-2010, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
.... sigh... Time to purchase some snow tires. Do you guys buy just the 2 front snow tires or 4 snow tires? I have to admit that the Honda Fit is terrible in snow and this is due to my experience of getting stucked about 3 times last winter storm. The Fit is too light to ride on thick snow.
One should always get 4 snow tires.

"terrible in snow"? I had no problems with mine the first Winter, but I didn't overdrive the car for the conditions, either. Somewhere around here, I've got pictures of the path I made up my sloped driveway in the snow. The Fit pulled all the way to the top without issue, even to the point of being deeper than the car's ground clearance, and that with the all weather tires. My wife's Taurus, OTOH, has to be backed in and I have to get a running start from the neighbor across the street's driveway in order to make it to the walk which is halfway up the drive.

Last Winter, I put a set of Yokohama IG20's on my stock steelies and then got a set of MSW rims for the all-weathers. It makes a difference having the snow tires, but not so big a difference as to crutch poor driving habits.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 AM
What are snow tires?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hahaha, something that snowbelt state folks should be putting on their cars before the accident.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Sucks where I am in michigan - you'll get 2 weeks of dry roads, then get 2 feet of snow and ice that stay for 4-5 days, and the roads are dry again. Winter tires wear out fast, all seasons are a little hairy... it's worse than snowbelt!

Well last year was bad. Lake effect never seemed to end and I never got stuck on the SP31s by some miracle. I actually plowed through a 20' long drift that was up to the windshield (I couldn't see a thing!) on those tractionless tires.

Always buy 4 tires if you like to stop without an accident. If you absolutely must put on two for whatever reason you can't get away from, put the new ones on the BACK. It's better to stop in a straight line and lose steering than spin out and lose all control and sight of what's around you. Actually it will affect you even when not on the brakes - if new tires go on the front, old tires on the back, just a gradual corner will induce oversteer and you'll be in the ditch before you know it.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Last winter I got Michellin X-Ice but winter eluded Vancouver
They will be well used this winter

Yes put four tires I had the same question last year and everyone advised to put four tires

Old 10-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by E = Mc2
One should always get 4 snow tires.

"terrible in snow"? I had no problems with mine the first Winter, but I didn't overdrive the car for the conditions, either. Somewhere around here, I've got pictures of the path I made up my sloped driveway in the snow. The Fit pulled all the way to the top without issue, even to the point of being deeper than the car's ground clearance, and that with the all weather tires. My wife's Taurus, OTOH, has to be backed in and I have to get a running start from the neighbor across the street's driveway in order to make it to the walk which is halfway up the drive.

Last Winter, I put a set of Yokohama IG20's on my stock steelies and then got a set of MSW rims for the all-weathers. It makes a difference having the snow tires, but not so big a difference as to crutch poor driving habits.
Its must have been tires that sucked or the snow was terribly deep. Anyways I just noticed that at that time that some cars like Pontiac Sunfire did better than my GD. The Sunfire was stuck pretty much at the same place when I was stuck and the car was able to get out with a little push and my GD had to be dug out and pushed by two.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by SHG_Chiquita
i have winterforce tires, I drive about 100-125 miles a day with work and had no issues. They're cheap and good
That's a lot of driving. The Fit is a perfect fit for that much driving.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
That's a lot of driving. The Fit is a perfect fit for that much driving.

yeah my car is at 57,000 miles and I've had it just over 2 years. It's a perfect car for my job...planning on paying it off and keeping it. Hopefully once we get a house, we'll get a third car.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
I bought 4 new snow tires last winter.. decided to go with Blizzak WS-60's and couldn't be happier with their performance in the snow.

Bought mine with 15" steel wheels as well. Tire size is 175/65R-15

Old 10-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Lightbulb

Due to modern snow tire design its highly recommended to do all four snow tires and besides, your going to rotate them, right

I had Hankook Ice Bears on my Mini Cooper S and they were awesome tires. V-speed rated and extra load rated and most of the time, I didn't even know I had snows on.

Right now I've got the new Continental DWS and according to Tire Rack reviews and the video I watched, I'm in great shape this winter. These tires are over qualified to be on the Fit based on the stats for speed ratings but that's ok. The tread pattern is for dry and snow conditions and so far, I'm liking what I've felt.

As far as the Fit being too light for heavy snow, that's just untrue. Nothing sits ontop of snow, the car weighs something When getting snow tires try, if possible, to go more narrow, it will then just cut through the snow and get down to the pavement easier.

BTW, Falken has some new snow tires you might be interested in too, along with Hankook.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:33 AM
4 Michelin X-Ice on steelies

Have a 2008 fit with 4 Michelin X-Ice no stud on steelies for winter since 2008. Never had an issue and I hope it stays that way. For a small car it performs well in the winter with these tires. Currently I just place black tape over the TPMS light. I find the windshield is a great issue. Make sure you have good winter blades.

I'm wondering were the TPMS module is located under the dash?

Last edited by kattywumpus; 11-03-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Mine - 185/65R15 BFG Winter Slalom

Name:  0042.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  39.3 KB

Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 PM
New member - Tire storage question

Hi all, I had been a keen reader of this site since Aug 2010 and am really impressed by the rich interaction of our fellow FIT family members. Finally, I upgraded my 2001 Accord to 2010 FIT Sports white A/T and loved it.

I will be installing four X-ice ix2 175/65/15 with steelies this Sat at my Honda dealership.

Question: As this is my first time using winter tires, how do I store my OEM alloy 16 inch tires. I read somewhere that it is advisable to deflate it 50% to avoid the tires being stretched while in storage and then re-inflat before reinstalling during spring? Is letting air out of your storage tires before storing them really necessary?

Appreciate all the advice I can get

Thanks
Ric

Last edited by Ric01; 11-03-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
hum... hum...

Last edited by Goobers; 11-03-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: removing myself for no other reason than to not get into another possibly heated debate.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 PM
there will be no snow driving on my FIT. this have been decided since day one when I got it. i have the crosstour to do this job.

back to topic, about snow tires... snow tire have deep grooves in the tread which work to compress it with the load on the tire. snow becomes compressed in direction of motion the tire to provide traction. snow tire utilizes these combined action to kick on compressed/compacted/caked snow which gives resistance. this resistance is called shear resistance of snow. the resistance is utilized by the tire in combination of scraping action of the tread edges. this entire process obtains/creates traction. variation of design orientation and implementation is where snow tires differ from manufacturer to manufacturer but they all do follow the same principles.

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 11-04-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
Question: As this is my first time using winter tires, how do I store my OEM alloy 16 inch tires. I read somewhere that it is advisable to deflate it 50% to avoid the tires being stretched while in storage and then re-inflat before reinstalling during spring? Is letting air out of your storage tires before storing them really necessary?
I've never heard the inflation story before. I do know that tires will dry rot if left in the sun so I find a spot out of direct sunlight. Other than that, all I do is give them a good washing, then stack them on top of one another indoors somewhere. This has worked for me with tires that have spanned several years' worth of use.

Quick Reply: Winter is just a few months away... Snow tires.