General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Price of extended Service Contract-Honda Care

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Price of extended Service Contract-Honda Care

Open Road Honda in N.J. offered me $ 1,550 to $ 1,695 depending on # of years, $ 100 deductable, etc. It seems quite high. Do dealers price this themselves, or does Honda set it? It basically provides 4 years of coverage for 63,000 miles of driving. Any dealers offering a better deal? My Hyundai has 100,000 miles/10 years contract with the purchase price. It now has 115,000 miles on it.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Dealers set the price on it.

If you want a better deal, check on the net. Try: http://www.collegehillshonda.com Their most expensive one is $1,005 for 8 years/120,000 miles.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:12 PM
http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpppriceindex.html

check these guys out, the fit isnt in there but if you can call them
about it, great prices!

Old 06-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I got 7 years, 140K miles for 1000 bucks.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
7 years, 140k for 1200.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Why do you want to spend money on a useless extended warrantee?

I have been driving Honda automobiles since 1981. That's an 81 Accord, an 89 Prelude, a 94 Accord, a 2000 Accord V6 and now a 07 Fit. I have never spent over $1000 total on repairs for all of the above cars. I drove all of them from new until at least 65,000 miles and most even more. Repairs included a water pump on the 81 Accord when it had 90,000 miles, an alternator in the 2000 Accord when it had 45.000 miles, and a valve cover gasket on the Prelude when it had about 75,000 miles. I have not spent anything else on my 2000 Accord and I am still driving it today. If you want to purchase an extended warrantee wait until the Honda one is almost expired, and you will be able to find them on the internet cheaper. Your Honda dealer will send you offers for an extended warrantee when you get close to the end of the factory one. Just change the oil regularly and follow the recommended service schedule in the owners handbook and you will be fine.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
IMHO, it's not useless. It's insurance. It didn't add too much to my monthly payment, so we went with it. We don't have AAA, and this plan also includes all of those services.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
7 yrs, 100k, $0 deductible for $815. Found the price on ebay and showed it to my dealership who were asking almost double and they met the price.

I'm thinking of dropping it though, I think we have 60 days to decide because I know Hondas are good and also cuz I have an aftermarket alarm that might void the warranty if there are electrical probs. I initially decided to get the warranty because my CRV had all kinds of weird electrical and window problems.

If what Flyboy says is true, then I probably will definitely drop it and then wait until Honda sends me an extension in 3 yrs.

Last edited by hatchgeek; 06-06-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Can you really drop it?

Old 06-07-2006, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
From my reading of the paperwork I think we have 60 days to decide.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to ask about some of my concerns and see what they say.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by hatchgeek
7 yrs, 100k, $0 deductible for $815. Found the price on ebay and showed it to my dealership who were asking almost double and they met the price.

I'm thinking of dropping it though, I think we have 60 days to decide because I know Hondas are good and also cuz I have an aftermarket alarm that might void the warranty if there are electrical probs. I initially decided to get the warranty because my CRV had all kinds of weird electrical and window problems.

If what Flyboy says is true, then I probably will definitely drop it and then wait until Honda sends me an extension in 3 yrs.
think about it.. if your dealer priced theirs at 2x the price and was able to drop it down 50% for you, there must still be like more profit in there

from what i heard, these things are like pure profit cash cows for them, even better than those rust proofing, paint protector crap (which they actually have to do something).. as poster said above, hondas are pretty reliable, and when there is an issue, they will try to claim honda warranty first, so their "exposure" is very low

i thought Fits came with road side assisstance? at least mine did

-joe

Old 06-07-2006, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
i thought Fits came with road side assisstance? at least mine did

-joe
If you're a 5'9", 130 pound, female with long, blonde hair, and a mini-skirt, and remind people of Christy Brinkley!!!

THEN you have road-side assistance!! Honda does not provide it.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Maybe it's a canadian thing

-joe

Old 06-07-2006, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
That might be your deal with the dealership. Roadside assistance is not included, but it is w/the extended warranty.

And of course they make money on the ext. warranty. If I never use it they never pay anything. They make money all around so whatev.

I also double-checked the ext. warranty paperwork and in section V. Cancellation of Contract...60 days from commencement of contract full refund if not used, or pro-rated if used.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:55 PM
yeah hondas one of those cars that you really dont need that kinda of warranty

Old 06-07-2006, 02:31 PM
You don't need it....until you need it!! How much do you pay for car insurance? I pay around $700 a year, never had an accident. Was it a waste of money? No, in my opinion it wasn't.

$1000 to cover yourself for 8 years, 120,000 miles? All it takes is one cracked cylinder head, a transmission, or maybe an intermittant computer or wiring problem and you will be glad you got it. Front end starting to feel loose at 100,000? Get it fixed to like new. A/C not pumping out the cold air like it used to? Take it in. as mentioned, there are many other benefits included, including free car rentals while your car is being fixed, roadside assistance, etc.

Cars today are getting more and more complicated, as well as more and more expensive to repair. I have had extended warantees before on cars, and have always felt that they paid for themselves. Getting to know the guys at the dealerships will also help when it comes to getting items covered that are worn but not "broke."

Yes, Honda's are known as very reliable vehicles, but they are not perfect. If they were, a lot of Honda techs would be out of work.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
My thinking exactly brdss. I got the same awesome deal on insurance so why not spend a little on the ext. warranty. People spend hundreds of dollars on those clear bra things or on rims so to each his own. With my financing it's only like $14 extra a month, I spend that much on soda & popcorn at 1 movie.

I've had 4 Hondas and they were all fine, except my CRV. That car's electrical drove me crazy and by the time I sold it I was pretty sure there would be some transmission issues coming up (never again AT). That's what really convinced me on the warranty. My older Hondas were invincible, but the newest one had so much more going on.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
So I spoke with a warranty administrator and got some info on the ext. warranty.

1. I was worried that my aftermarket installed alarm would void everything and it will not. If the alarm causes some electrical problem, yes those parts would not be covered, but the rest of the coverage is fine (my installers would cover any problems the alarm installation caused).
2. I heard a rumor an accident would void the warranty. Not true. So long as the repairs are done w/genuine Honda parts all is well.
3. Yes you can add the extended warranty later, but it has to be before 3yr/3600 miles. After that it's too late.

I also found out that you don't necessarily have to follow the old maintenance schedule we are all familiar with. You know the 3k for oil, 150k tune up, etc. The car's computer will set it self according to how you drive, where you drive, and other factors and will determine when and what type of work is needed on the car. You'll then see the wrench or whatever in the dash with a code and do your repairs as noted. That's enough to satisfy Honda as far as maintenance record keeping.

So for me I think I'm sold. If something goes wrong w/the waterpump they'll fix it, need a new starter, done. She told me I got as good a deal as she's seen so I'm gonna stay on w/the ext. warranty. But where did you guys get the 140K coverage? As far as she knew Honda only goes up to 100K.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by hatchgeek
So for me I think I'm sold. If something goes wrong w/the waterpump they'll fix it, need a new starter, done. She told me I got as good a deal as she's seen so I'm gonna stay on w/the ext. warranty. But where did you guys get the 140K coverage? As far as she knew Honda only goes up to 100K.
I told them I could get a better deal through AAA, so I wasn't going through them. I wouldn't budge until he came up with 140K miles.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Does anyone know if you can sign-up before 3 yrs./36K?

Does anyone know if you can sign-up before 3 yrs./36K?

Quick Reply: Price of extended Service Contract-Honda Care