General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Price of extended Service Contract-Honda Care

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by accupix
Does anyone know if you can sign-up before 3 yrs./36K?
Certainly. It's just AFTER the three years is up that you can't.

Hatchgeek--I just looked through my paperwork from Honda, and I don't have anything that says anything about the extended warranty except the Retail Purchase Agreement, which shows I paid $820 for "Honda Care."

Should I be asking them for the other paperwork?

Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mazee
Certainly. It's just AFTER the three years is up that you can't.

Hatchgeek--I just looked through my paperwork from Honda, and I don't have anything that says anything about the extended warranty except the Retail Purchase Agreement, which shows I paid $820 for "Honda Care."

Should I be asking them for the other paperwork?
I got a packet in the mail, about two and a half weeks after I bought the car.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Ahhh, maybe that's the thing. I bought mine exactly two and a half weeks ago, so hopefully I'll get it tomorrow or Saturday. Thx!

Oh, but I did get the paperwork I needed in order to pay taxes and get my tags. Should it have been in there?

Old 06-09-2006, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
Yes but it has to be before 36k or 3yrs. College Hills offers it on their site: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hondacare/warranty.htm

Old 06-11-2006, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Mazee, yes as IBGT said it will come in the mail separately. It's basically just a smallish pamphlet with rules and conditions, but it will have membership cards in the back w/all your info. I wasn't totally clear on some of the finer print items so I spoke with the warranty administrator at my dealership and she gladly answered what she could and then called Honda for those things she didn't.
How long did you get it for?

Last edited by hatchgeek; 06-11-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
They offer an extended warranty until 140,000 miles?!?! Damn! That's 225,000 kms.

My 1992 Integra hasn't needed much in repairs in the last 8 years, and anything that did fail has been replaced with performance parts anyways. This extended wattanty is a good investment for those that want piece of mind.

It also states on the College Hills website that oil changes (max of 25$) are also covered with the extended warranty (excluding New York). So if you average an oil change every 6000 miles and have the 120,000 mile warranty, you'll recoup 500$ of the 1000$ in money saved by getting the oil changed at the dealer. Great way for them to sucker you into getting the sceduled maintenance done by the dealer.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Really? I thought oil changes were considered "maintenance"... I did look on Honda's website and they have an additional Sentinel program that covers oil changes.

I bought a 6 year extended warranty myself. Considering that I had to get the A/C compressor replaced on my last car within 5 years ( a Mazda, which I also consider a reliable car), that repair alone would have paid for the extended warranty.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by verily
Really? I thought oil changes were considered "maintenance"... I did look on Honda's website and they have an additional Sentinel program that covers oil changes.

I bought a 6 year extended warranty myself. Considering that I had to get the A/C compressor replaced on my last car within 5 years ( a Mazda, which I also consider a reliable car), that repair alone would have paid for the extended warranty.
mazda is far from being reliable.. it's just a Ford :-)

-joe

Old 06-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by hatchgeek
Mazee, yes as IBGT said it will come in the mail separately. It's basically just a smallish pamphlet with rules and conditions, but it will have membership cards in the back w/all your info. I wasn't totally clear on some of the finer print items so I spoke with the warranty administrator at my dealership and she gladly answered what she could and then called Honda for those things she didn't.
How long did you get it for?
Thanks, hatchgeek! And I got it for six years. But the thing is, I'm now kind of wishing I had waited to see if I still want to keep the car in three years before I had paid for three more. If I were to trade the car in in three years would I get that money back, does anyone know?

Old 06-11-2006, 06:12 PM
if you cancel within 60 days, full refund.

if you cancel afterwards without ever using the warranty, you will get a portion of it back depending on when you will actually cancel it.

for example, a 8 year/120k warranty, you cancel 1 year after getting the car, you will get majority of it back.

if you cancel 7 year, 355 days later, at 119k, you will get 5 dollars.

benefits to buying when you buy the car, you can move the warranty into your monthly, instead of shelling out 1000 bucks on the spot. another reason is if you buy 3 years from now, it will be more expensive, almost every year, honda raises prices on the warranty.

and oil change is not covered by hondacare.

Last edited by aywwsd; 06-11-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all the good info, AYWWSD!!

So, now I need to consider that if I get a refund now, the extended will actually cost me more later if I decide to keep it. *sigh* I paid cash for my Fit, so the monthly payment doesn't apply, unless that means they won't refund my money because I paid it upfront, which I doubt.

I do hope I get that paperwork. I called my dealer to enquire about it and he said he'd look into it and call me back, which he didn't. Seems like as soon as he got the five-star feedback he wanted, he quit returning my calls.

And I do get my first oil change for free, but I think that might be standard for new Honda's?

Old 06-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by accupix
Open Road Honda in N.J. offered me $ 1,550 to $ 1,695 depending on # of years, $ 100 deductable, etc. It seems quite high. Do dealers price this themselves, or does Honda set it? It basically provides 4 years of coverage for 63,000 miles of driving. Any dealers offering a better deal? My Hyundai has 100,000 miles/10 years contract with the purchase price. It now has 115,000 miles on it.
That is very high. Dealers will try to sell you this as if it's a must have. I've change cars five times (DD and weekend car) the last 2 years and on 2 occasions been offered (pressured) , funny thing is the more i said no the price keeps going down. Went down to as low as around $800 for 7/100 which i still declined. Also remember that any 07 Honda has longer powertrain warranty, it is now 5/60.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Well, read the College Hills coverage info, they list the following:

E. OIL CHANGES
This CONTRACT provides YOU with scheduled oil changes for the term of this CONTRACT, based on "Normal" usage conditions in the HONDA OWNER'S MANUAL, and according to the HONDA Factory Recommended Maintenance Schedule. This service is limited to oil changes and oil filter changes performed at authorized HONDA DEALERSHIPS for a value of up to $25.00 per service. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CHARGES EXCEEDING $25.00 IN CONNECTION WITH AN OIL CHANGE UNDER THIS CONTRACT.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...t_coverage.htm

Old 06-11-2006, 11:58 PM
read the whole thing.

SECTIONS D, AND E, ONLY APPLY TO SENTINEL EXPANDED SERVICES and SENTINEL 3/45 CONTRACTS

Old 06-12-2006, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
My wife's 97 Nissan Quest van, which I traded for the Fit, had a relay fail in the transmission when the car had about 50,000 miles. The cost to replace it was $1,200. That has been the highest repair bill I have had on any car we have owned since 1981. The other three minor repairs were all less than $400 each.

Check to see what the deductible charge is for the extended warrantee?Three Accords, a Prelude, and one Nissan van. My advice is to invest your money in Certificates of Deposit, in case you have a big repair bill, instead of making insurance companies rich.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:47 AM
I agree with flyboybob. Most people are buying the FIT because it is a Honda and it is reliable. Invest the $1,200 and hope you don't have to use it. My brother in-law bought 100,000 K extended warranty on his Toyota it hit 100,600 his steering box failed ($1,200 repair)and both the dealership and Toyota basically said to bad your warranty expired. He would have been better off investing the cash.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by aywwsd
read the whole thing.

SECTIONS D, AND E, ONLY APPLY TO SENTINEL EXPANDED SERVICES and SENTINEL 3/45 CONTRACTS
opps, my bad.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Don"t Get Ripped!

The Honda Care warranty for 7yrs/80,0000mi costs $595 about.. States it in the policy!!! if you look for it!

Don't let your dealership like, "NORTH SHORE HONDA in GLEN COVE,N.Y." Rip you off and sell it for 1200 then 975 (bought him down on the price... but i still got ripped off)

Old 06-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by gettinafit
The Honda Care warranty for 7yrs/80,0000mi costs $595 about.. States it in the policy!!! if you look for it!

Don't let your dealership like, "NORTH SHORE HONDA in GLEN COVE,N.Y." Rip you off and sell it for 1200 then 975 (bought him down on the price... but i still got ripped off)
where can I find 7year/80K mile Honda Care warranty for $595?

Old 06-13-2006, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
$595 not a bad deal, where is that? Is that w/$0 deductible or $100. On ebay this item #4634410872 has a listing of prices for various mileages w$0 deductible. It's a little bit lower than College Hills. This is what I presented my dealership when I purchased my car, they met the price no problem.

Quick Reply: Price of extended Service Contract-Honda Care